Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Syntax error with automated backup script Post 302522100 by methyl on Friday 13th of May 2011 10:13:28 AM
Old 05-13-2011
Almost certainly this script has been edited with a Microsoft editor such as Notepad rather than a unix editor such as "vi".
To prove this, please check the script file with the following "sed" command which is designed to make control codes visible.

Code:
sed -n l scriptname

A normal unix text file will display a "$" at the end of each line. A MS-DOS format file will contain "^M" characters.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error in script !!

./disk_space_util.sh ./disk_space_util.sh: Syntax error at line 24 : `then' is not expected. ================================= cat disk_space_util.sh #!/bin/sh # # Parameter Settings ORA_LOG, ORA_SCRIPT, DBA_EMAIL_LIST -- (Set in .profile) bdf | sed "s/%/ /g" | sed "/Filesystem/d" |... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: uuser
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected

hi there i write one awk script file in shell programing the code is related to dd/mm/yy to month, day year format but i get an error please can anybody help me out in this problem ?????? i give my code here including error awk ` # date-month -- convert mm/dd/yy to month day,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herry
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automated backup script

I want to create an automated backup script that will copy files to different directories for different days. I will use a detachable USB drive, under SCO 5.0.7. I am very new to Unix, and will require most of the script. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bennieinbots
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error in script

Hey guys keep having problems with the below script syntax error near unpexpected token '0' exit 0 I have two directorys backups and Usr in the usr i have sub dir's wp,ss,pic which i would like to back up (copy those directorys to the backups directory) with user acknowledgement from command line.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spartukus
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to take backup what is the command tell syntax

to take backup what is the command tell syntax (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunilamarnadh
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error calling TCL script from shell script

hello everyone i am beginner on shell scripting .and i am working on my project work on ad hoc network i wrote a batch (.sh) to do a looping and execute a tcl script i wrote before in each iteration ..but i got this problem " syntax error near unexpected token `('... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcoss90
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Syntax error with backup script

Hi guys, I'm new to Linux and dont know much about scripts..there's an backup script that will backup the database from a location to another location between servers..it will run automatically by adding it to crontab...it was created by another person and I tried to understand it somewhat.. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koolhart
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Syntax Error Script

Hi guys i'd like to show you this code of my script, where i couldn't find this error " #! /bin/bash #copiabin.sh: copia todos los archivos ejecutables a bin if then mkdir $HOME/bin fi # copia de archivos y contador N N=0 for ARCH in * do if # Si el archivo es... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newer
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

First Script Syntax Error

So, I'm writing my first shell script to try to speed up the process of creating lyric files for mocp and I don't know what the error is, but considering how short the code is, I'm betting it's something super-obvious. line 7: syntax error near unexpected token `echo' line 7: ` echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: D351
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Syntax error on script

Evening All (or morning for some), Could anyone have a look at the below and advise where i've going wrong with the syntax as i keep getting the below error while trying to run. Any help would be really apprecaited. ./testout: line 13: syntax error near unexpected token `else' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
4 Replies
SED(1)								   User Commands							    SED(1)

NAME
sed - manual page for sed version 4.0.3 SYNOPSIS
sed [OPTION]... {script-only-if-no-other-script} [input-file]... DESCRIPTION
Sed is a stream editor. A stream editor is used to perform basic text transformations on an input stream (a file or input from a pipe- line). While in some ways similar to an editor which permits scripted edits (such as ed), sed works by making only one pass over the input(s), and is consequently more efficient. But it is sed's ability to filter text in a pipeline which particularly distinguishes it from other types of editors. -n, --quiet, --silent suppress automatic printing of pattern space -e script, --expression=script add the script to the commands to be executed -f script-file, --file=script-file add the contents of script-file to the commands to be executed -i[suffix], --in-place[=suffix] edit files in place (makes backup if extension supplied) -l N, --line-length=N specify the desired line-wrap length for the `l' command -r, --regexp-extended use extended regular expressions in the script. -s, --separate consider files as separate rather than as a single continuous long stream. -u, --unbuffered load minimal amounts of data from the input files and flush the output buffers more often --help display this help and exit -V, --version output version information and exit If no -e, --expression, -f, or --file option is given, then the first non-option argument is taken as the sed script to interpret. All remaining arguments are names of input files; if no input files are specified, then the standard input is read. E-mail bug reports to: bonzini@gnu.org . Be sure to include the word ``sed'' somewhere in the ``Subject:'' field. COMMAND SYNOPSIS
This is just a brief synopsis of sed commands to serve as a reminder to those who already know sed; other documentation (such as the tex- info document) must be consulted for fuller descriptions. Zero-address ``commands'' : label Label for b and t commands. #comment The comment extends until the next newline (or the end of a -e script fragment). } The closing bracket of a { } block. Zero- or One- address commands = Print the current line number. a text Append text, which has each embedded newline preceded by a backslash. i text Insert text, which has each embedded newline preceded by a backslash. q Immediately quit the sed script without processing any more input, except that if auto-print is not disabled the current pattern space will be printed. Q Immediately quit the sed script without processing any more input. r filename Append text read from filename. R filename Append a line read from filename. Commands which accept address ranges { Begin a block of commands (end with a }). b label Branch to label; if label is omitted, branch to end of script. t label If a s/// has done a successful substitution since the last input line was read and since the last t or T command, then branch to label; if label is omitted, branch to end of script. T label If no s/// has done a successful substitution since the last input line was read and since the last t or T command, then branch to label; if label is omitted, branch to end of script. c text Replace the selected lines with text, which has each embedded newline preceded by a backslash. d Delete pattern space. Start next cycle. D Delete up to the first embedded newline in the pattern space. Start next cycle, but skip reading from the input if there is still data in the pattern space. h H Copy/append pattern space to hold space. g G Copy/append hold space to pattern space. x Exchange the contents of the hold and pattern spaces. l List out the current line in a ``visually unambiguous'' form. n N Read/append the next line of input into the pattern space. p Print the current pattern space. P Print up to the first embedded newline of the current pattern space. s/regexp/replacement/ Attempt to match regexp against the pattern space. If successful, replace that portion matched with replacement. The replacement may contain the special character & to refer to that portion of the pattern space which matched, and the special escapes 1 through 9 to refer to the corresponding matching sub-expressions in the regexp. w filename Write the current pattern space to filename. W filename Write the first line of the current pattern space to filename. y/source/dest/ Transliterate the characters in the pattern space which appear in source to the corresponding character in dest. Addresses Sed commands can be given with no addresses, in which case the command will be executed for all input lines; with one address, in which case the command will only be executed for input lines which match that address; or with two addresses, in which case the command will be executed for all input lines which match the inclusive range of lines starting from the first address and continuing to the second address. Three things to note about address ranges: the syntax is addr1,addr2 (i.e., the addresses are separated by a comma); the line which addr1 matched will always be accepted, even if addr2 selects an earlier line; and if addr2 is a regexp, it will not be tested against the line that addr1 matched. After the address (or address-range), and before the command, a ! may be inserted, which specifies that the command shall only be executed if the address (or address-range) does not match. The following address types are supported: number Match only the specified line number. first~step Match every step'th line starting with line first. For example, ``sed -n 1~2p'' will print all the odd-numbered lines in the input stream, and the address 2~5 will match every fifth line, starting with the second. (This is an extension.) $ Match the last line. /regexp/ Match lines matching the regular expression regexp. cregexpc Match lines matching the regular expression regexp. The c may be any character. GNU sed also supports some special 2-address forms: 0,addr2 Start out in "matched first address" state, until addr2 is found. This is similar to 1,addr2, except that if addr2 matches the very first line of input the 0,addr2 form will be at the end of its range, whereas the 1,addr2 form will still be at the beginning of its range. addr1,+N Will match addr1 and the N lines following addr1. addr1,~N Will match addr1 and the lines following addr1 until the next line whose input line number is a multiple of N. REGULAR EXPRESSIONS
POSIX.2 BREs should be supported, but they aren't completely because of performance problems. The sequence in a regular expression matches the newline character, and similarly for a, , and other sequences. BUGS
E-mail bug reports to bonzini@gnu.org. Be sure to include the word ``sed'' somewhere in the ``Subject:'' field. Also, please include the output of ``sed --version'' in the body of your report if at all possible. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
awk(1), ed(1), grep(1), tr(1), perlre(1), sed.info, any of various books on sed, the sed FAQ (http://sed.sf.net/grabbag/tutorials/sed- faq.html), http://sed.sf.net/grabbag/. The full documentation for sed is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and sed programs are properly installed at your site, the command info sed should give you access to the complete manual. sed version 4.0.3 November 2002 SED(1)