Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity swordfish --- a password generator Post 302522095 by GSO on Friday 13th of May 2011 10:07:57 AM
Old 05-13-2011
If I could make a quick feature request - to be able to copy a password to the clipboard (pref. plain X11) instead of outputing otherwise (I've had a quick look for a way to do this to no avail). Also a util to securely erase a file a password was output to would be complimentary.

This was an interesting article, The Usability of Passwords. It appears a short phrase of (near) normal English is as secure as 8 or so mixed symbols/chars.

Myself I'm still trying to figure how I'm getting incidents of MITM style data injection over a SSL vpn to a https webpage! (I can't do any more to make the physical machine itself more secure either - so I am assuming this is not the problem, and I'm not running any dodgy software otherwise.)

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Password Generator

I need a great Password Generator program. I looked at a few of them, but none of them seemed to be what I wanted. So I have decided to write my own. (That's the cool thing about being a programmer....I always get what I want in software :) ) Do you have any password generators that you... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

date generator

Is there a command to generate the unix date that is in theshadow file?>? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

time generator

Hi experts, I'd like to generate the table/file containing: number of milliseconds elapsed since midnight till midnight. It should contain 5 columns (hours minutes seconds milliseconds): Table will have theoretically 86 400 000 rows. My question is , is there somewhere the file or source... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernand
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sequence generator

Thanks Guys This really helped (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robert89
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Password generator with user inputs

Hi, I am new to bash scripting and i wanted to make a bash script that will generate a password for a user. The user must enter his/her name and the url of the site the password is used for. And the script will generate a password with those two elements in the password. So if the url is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kvr123
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Password generator with 2 digits and 6 characters

I am using the below to random generate a password but I need to have 2 numeric characters and 6 alphabetic chars head /dev/urandom | tr -dc A-Za-z0-9 | head -c 8 ; echo '' 6USUvqRB ------ Post updated at 04:43 PM ------ Any Help folks - Can the output be passed onto a sed command to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
9 Replies

7. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
condor_store_cred(1)					      General Commands Manual					      condor_store_cred(1)

Name
       condor_store_cred securely - stash a password

Synopsis
       condor_store_cred [-help]

condor_store_credadd[ -c | -u username] [-p password] [-n machinename] [-f filename]

condor_store_creddelete[ -c | -u username] [-n machinename]

condor_store_credquery[ -c | -u username] [-n machinename]

Description
       condor_store_credstores passwords in a secure manner. There are two separate uses of condor_store_cred:

1.  A  shared  pool  password  is needed in order to implement the  PASSWORD authentication method. condor_store_cred using the -coption
	  deals with the password for the implied  condor_pool@$(UID_DOMAIN) user name.

On a Unix machine, condor_store_cred with the -foption is used to set the pool password, as needed when used with the  PASSWORD  authen-
	  tication method. The pool password is placed in a file specified by the  SEC_PASSWORD_FILE configuration variable.

2. In order to submit a job from a Windows platform machine, or to execute a job on a Windows platform machine utilizing the run_as_own-
	  erfunctionality, condor_store_cred stores the password of a user/domain pair securely in the Windows registry. Using this  stored  pass-
	  word,  Condor  may act on behalf of the submitting user to access files, such as writing output or log files. Condor is able to run jobs
	  with the user ID of the submitting user. The password is stored in the same manner as the system does when setting or  changing  account
	  passwords.

Passwords are stashed in a persistent manner; they are maintained across system reboots.

The  addargument on the Windows platform stores the password securely in the registry. The user is prompted to enter the password twice for
       confirmation, and characters are not echoed. If there is already a password stashed, the old password will be overwritten by the new  pass-
       word.

The deleteargument deletes the current password, if it exists.

The queryreports whether the password is stored or not.

Options
       -c

Operations refer to the pool password, as used in the  PASSWORD authentication method.

-f filename

For Unix machines only, generates a pool password file named filenamethat may be used with the  PASSWORD authentication method.

-help

Displays a brief summary of command options.

-n machinename

Apply the command on the given machine.

-p password

Stores password, rather than prompting the user to enter a password.

-u username

Specify the user name.

Exit Status
       condor_store_credwill exit with a status value of 0 (zero) upon success, and it will exit with the value 1 (one) upon failure.

Author
       Condor Team, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Copyright
       Copyright  (C)  1990-2012  Condor  Team,  Computer  Sciences Department, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI. All Rights Reserved.
       Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.

See the Condor Version 7.8.2 Manualor http://www.condorproject.org/licensefor additional notices. condor-admin@cs.wisc.edu

September 2012					      condor_store_cred(1)