Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [PERL] Cannot stat or move filename - £££F3AERO££.txt Post 302522064 by thefal9 on Friday 13th of May 2011 08:23:59 AM
Old 05-13-2011
[PERL] Cannot stat or move filename - £££F3AERO££.txt

Scenario: Users drop files into a directory which is regularly polled by my PERL process. On detecting a file my process will move it from the poll dir to a working directory. A user created a file with a £ symbol in the filename and my process now fails.

e.g £££F3AERO££.txt

/sbcimp/run/pd/perl/32-bit/5.8.8/bin

Code:
opendir (POL, $polldir ) 
while( (my $fName = readdir(POL))){
next unless ( $fName =~ /txt$/ );
my ($filename, $Symbol, $bSymbol);
$logger->info("File Name - $fName");
$filename = qq($polldir/$fName);
unless ( -f "$filename" ) {
$logger->logdie("Cannot Stat File"}
}

I can handle most badly formed filenames but the £ has flumoxed me. Any suggestions . Thanks P.S I have messed around with encode/decode utf8 but no luck. The file does exist and I do have permission. Ta.

Last edited by pludi; 05-13-2011 at 09:30 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: why the return valure of stat and lstat are the same?

i tried to use stat to get the attributes of a file and a soft link. but the result i got from stat and lstat are the same. say: ln -s f1 soft1 (soft is a soft link , point to f1) if i use > ls -il shows the inode and modify time of soft1 and f1 are different. but the modify... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gusla
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl how to move pointer to previous line in a txt file?

I have a text file that has blocks of text. Each block starts with ### and ends with End_###. I wrote a perl script to search a string from line 2 (ignore any line starts with ###) of each block if matched, need to print that whole block. According to the input file in below, it will print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tqlam
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename multiple filename.45267.txt to >> filename.txt

i have several thousand files and in subdirs that are named file.46634.txt budget.75346.pdf etc i want to remove the number but retain the extension. it is always a 5 digit. thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason7
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to unzip Filename.txt.Z

Hii I am having a file in Unix which is filename.txt.Z How can i take of the Z to read the file Please help Regards Laxmi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi1166
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move txt file to with current date appended to filename

I have multiple txt files which begin with the word "orders" in folder C:\source. I need to move the files to folder C:\dest and rename them to "process_<date>_<count>" So for example , if there are 3 files ordersa.txt , ordersb.txt and ordersc.txt in C:\source , after running the script I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johannd
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move txt file to with current date appended to filename

I have multiple txt files which begin with the word "orders" in folder C:\source. I need to move the files to folder C:\dest and rename them to "process_<date>_<count>" So for example , if there are 3 files ordersa.txt , ordersb.txt and ordersc.txt in C:\source , after running the script I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: johannd
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add a new column to txt file containing filename

I would like help adding a new column to a large txt file (~10MB) that contains the filename. I have searched other posts but have not found an adequate solution. I need this extra column so I can concatenate >100 files and perform awk searches on this large file. My current txt file look... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kellywilliams
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing .dat.gz to .txt.gz in filename

Hi, I tried below method; mv -v /oracle1/scr/tilki/willsendtilkiNew/VOICE-MO_$nfname.gz \ $(echo /oracle1/scr/tilki/willsendtilkiNew/VOICE-MO_$nfname.gz | tr 'dat' 'txt'); nfame variable has the string "dat" . I need to rename files like below; ASIS: 20140902103700_100319.dat.gz... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snr_silencer
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is "stat: illegal option -- -" an issue with hyphenated filename or flag problem?

Hi. I'm trying to install VMWare Workstation to run a virtual machine on my Mac OS, but running the bundle from bash(xterm) sh VMware-workstation-Full-11.0.0-2305329.x86_64.bundle (as suggested in install guide) comes up with error:stat: illegal option -- - usage: stat Digging... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: defeated
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the filename and write to .txt

I'm new to this forum and also to UNIX scripting. I need a command to extract the filename from the path and write to .txt file. Thanks in advance for your guidance. (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ram Kumar_BE
23 Replies
OPENDIR(3)								 1								OPENDIR(3)

opendir - Open directory handle

SYNOPSIS
resource opendir (string $path, [resource $context]) DESCRIPTION
Opens up a directory handle to be used in subsequent closedir(3), readdir(3), and rewinddir(3) calls. PARAMETERS
o $path - The directory path that is to be opened o $context - For a description of the $context parameter, refer to the streams section of the manual. RETURN VALUES
Returns a directory handle resource on success, or FALSE on failure. If $path is not a valid directory or the directory can not be opened due to permission restrictions or filesystem errors, opendir(3) returns FALSE and generates a PHP error of level E_WARNING. You can suppress the error output of opendir(3) by prepending '@' to the front of the function name. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.0.0 | | | | | | | $path supports the ftp:// URL wrapper. | | | | | 4.3.0 | | | | | | | $path can also be any URL which supports direc- | | | tory listing, however only the file:// URL wrap- | | | per supports this in PHP 4 | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 opendir(3) example <?php $dir = "/etc/php5/"; // Open a known directory, and proceed to read its contents if (is_dir($dir)) { if ($dh = opendir($dir)) { while (($file = readdir($dh)) !== false) { echo "filename: $file : filetype: " . filetype($dir . $file) . " "; } closedir($dh); } } ?> The above example will output something similar to: filename: . : filetype: dir filename: .. : filetype: dir filename: apache : filetype: dir filename: cgi : filetype: dir filename: cli : filetype: dir SEE ALSO
is_dir(3), readdir(3), dir(3). PHP Documentation Group OPENDIR(3)