Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Plan to Buy a New Laptop
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Plan to Buy a New Laptop Post 302522009 by bakunin on Friday 13th of May 2011 04:57:33 AM
Old 05-13-2011
Plan to Buy a New Laptop

It is time for me to buy a new laptop computer and i was searching the net for the last few days looking for one. The results haven't really been satisfying and i thought you might have information i lack - if so, i'd be grateful for sharing it with me and the probably interested audience.

What i want:
My laptop is strictly only for home use. For every purpose mobile i have a 10" netbook. For home (-office) i want a system which is not bound to a specific place like a desktop, but can be moved around to the couch or another room. That's as mobile as it ever will get, therefore battery operating time or weight are non-issues, as long as the battery allows me to get from one power outlet to the next.

I want the display to be big (17" or up) and i want the best possible. I learned the painful way with my last system that what is good for watching videos is not necessarily good for working: glaring displays are ... *yuck*.

I plan on running several virtual machines for all sorts of test purposes so i need a lot of RAM. I want to have 8GB minimum, 16 GB would be great. On the other hand i never experienced shortage on processing power with the system i had (HP Pavilion dv7, AMD Turion), so i suppose every processor sold today will do.

I plan - needless to say - to run Linux on it, so i need a system compatible with Linux on one hand and i would really appreciate avoiding the "Microsoft Tax": many laptops are not only sold only with Windows but also all sorts of "useful" software packages like MS-Office, Norton-Anti-Virus and what have you. Call me greedy but i don't want to pay a company i despise for a product i won't ever use.

For the same reason (Linux) i don't want a Blueray-drive to be installed but a DVD drive instead. AACS forbids the development of drivers and that in turn forbids the usage of Blueray for me.

I would like to have an SSD installed instead of a HDD. Not because i really need it but because it is new, fast and cool (yes, I'm childish sometimes). It doesn't have to be all that big: right now i use ~25GB of my harddisk and that includes 15GB for disk images of virtual machines. 128GB will be more than i probably ever will use.

Price is not really an issue - i even considered (briefly) buying a MacBook Pro, which would come at ~3.5k$ in the configuration i would like. On the other hand I'd like to use the machine for a longer time so quality of the finish and general workmanship is indeed to be considered.

Finally a detail: the HP Pavilion dv7 i use right now has its (big) power cable attached on the right side (where it goes straight out). This is utter foolish, because it will get in the way of the mouse for all right-handed people (including me), which are the overwhelming majority.

Any input is welcome.

bakunin

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

plan

i want to make a program run when a person types 'finger USERNAME', username being my username. how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cypher
2 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

401 Keg Plan

If you had purchased $1,000 of AIG stock one year ago, you would have about $40.00 left. With Lehman, you have about $6.00 left. With Fannie or Freddie, you would have less than $5.00 left. But, if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, and had drunk all of the beer, then turned... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

an advice regarding backup plan

Hi all i'm looking for good advice regarding backup plan becuase its first time to me handle large scale database expected to grow up 10000 - 20000 record per year with daily operations on it I'm working as sysAdmin in educational organization ( junior level ) with mixed OSes environment... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
3 Replies

4. AIX

Plan to shutdown servers

Hello everyone I need to shutdown all my servers and my storage. I would like to hear your opinions about this. This is my little plan about all this. 1.-Stop the applications 2.-Stop the webservers 3.-Stop the ihs 4.-Stop the databases 5.-Verify no process are running 6.-Close the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Connect 2 laptops with RJ45 cable (Ubuntu 10.10 laptop with Windows 7 laptop)

Hi to all, I have the problem that a laptops with windows XP cannot startup even in safe mode nor using last good known configuration. I have a Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD and booting from it I can read the Hard Drive. I need to do a backup the Hard Drive from XP laptop and I want to connect this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need a database and a plan of attack!

Hi everyone, I've got an extensive collection of seismic files that I am trying to turn into workable subsurface data collection. It's all real-time history and it is being loaded onto the main linux computer from a collection of about 1000 CDs. There are about 4000 seismic files on each CD, and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ws6transam
3 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Laptop to laptop transfer files

Dear all, I would like to transfer my old laptop documents/files etc to the new laptop without using any external hard disk. Please let me know if its possible via any way. Thank in advance, emily (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
3 Replies
PMSET(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  PMSET(1)

NAME
pmset -- modify power management settings SYNOPSIS
pmset [-a | -b | -c] [dim minutes] [spindown minutes] [sleep minutes] [womp 1/0] [ring 1/0] [autorestart 1/0] [dps 1/0] [reduce 1/0] [powerbutton 1/0] [lidwake 1/0] [acwake 1/0] [boot] pmset -g [disk | live | cap | sched] DESCRIPTION
pmset changes and reads power management settings such as idle sleep timing, wake on administrative access, automatic restart on power loss, etc. SETTING
The -a, -b, -c flags determine whether the settings apply to battery (-b), charger (wall power) (-c), or all (-a). Use a minutes argument of 0 to set the idle time to never. pmset must be run as root. The boot argument tells power management that system bootup is complete. Loginwindow handles this on a normal Mac OS X system. GETTING
The -g flag outputs the settings currently in use (same as -g live ). -g disk will tell you the settings on disk. -g cap will tell you which power management features the machine supports. -g sched will show scheduled startup/wake and shutdown/sleep events. ARGUMENTS
dim - display dim timer (value in minutes) spindown - disk spindown timer (value in minutes) sleep - system sleep timer (value in minutes) womp - wake on ethernet magic packet (value = 0/1) ring - wake on modem ring (value = 0/1) autorestart - automatic restart on power loss (value = 0/1) dps - dynamically change processor speed based on load (value = 0/1) reduce - reduce processor speed (value = 0/1) powerbutton - sleep the machine when power button is pressed (value = 0/1) lidwake - wake the machine when the laptop lid(or clamshell) is opened (value = 0/1) acwake - wake the machine when power source (AC/battery) is changed (value = 0/1) OTHER ARGUMENTS
These arguments don't directly affect power management settings: boot - tell the kernel that system boot is complete EXAMPLES
pmset -b dim 5 pmset -a dim 10 spindown 10 sleep 30 womp 1 pmset -g live FILES
All changes made through pmset are saved in a persistent preferences file (per-system, not per-user) at /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist pmset modifies the same file that System Preferences Energy Saver modifies. Darwin August 19, 2002 Darwin