Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Samba trouble shoot / workaround ? Post 302521995 by Manu.b on Friday 13th of May 2011 04:07:14 AM
Old 05-13-2011
I ran some test yesterday at the customer site (and increased log level) :
- the CAD software crashed after saving an assembly and that did not cause the smb process to "hang", so I was wrong on this point.
- I realised I cannot use the avg. load as a trigger in the script, as the server will regularly go above 1.0 avg load when several users are saving/accessing large files at the same time or when the backup is running. I'll have to monitor the smb process (and now I reconsidering using such "kill process" script, I'll focus more on solving the root cause).

One other thing the customer complains about is that the smb server access is sometime very slow, while the avg load is quite low (no more than 0.1), independently from the client (there are some mix of win XP/32 and XP/64, seven/32 and seven/64, all user experience the same slowliness at the same time when this happens).
I was on site once when this happened and could not see any reason for this from the smb logs. Access to other file shares on other server was normal, no error reported on the network switch on the ports of the server nor the clients. The situation returned to normal few minutes after, and I ran some tests on the file server (copying/reading small/medium/larg files and measuring the bandwidth) and the performances were as expected (60~70 MB/s).
But I'm not sure that both problems are related.
I'm still convinced one cause of the problem is the CAD software as only the files accessed by this software are impacted, none of the office softwares or calculation software are experiencing the same issue. And of course they are using different flavor of the software (different versions and some 32 and/or 64 bits).

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ldap+samba+gdm trouble

I'm having troubles setting up a client(with Ubuntu 8.10) for a ldap+samba server. I can't authenticate through the client with gdm, the messages I have in /etc/auth.log at the client is Dec 4 14:21:56 myuser-mydesktop gdm: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server ldap://192.168.0.1: Invalid... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: capibolso
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Workaround for macros in sftp command

Hi, I've some existing scripts wherein am using ftp + .netrc. I've defined my macros in .netrc file. I want to switch to sftp now but it seems it doesn't support macros and .netrc and it gives "command invalid" error. Is there any other alternative? Note: I don't want help for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ps51517
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

stuck in CLOSE_WAIT Solaris 10 - Patch and workaround

Solaris 10 Sparc: When you got a connection locking a tcp/port, and the status is CLOSE_WAIT (for ever :wall:), you just use the tcpdrop, to close the connection. This is a OS bug. I wrote the bug id bellow: BUG-ID 6468753 connections stuck in CLOSE_WAIT The patch that's correct the bug:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thiagofborn
0 Replies

4. AIX

cpu used more than 80% how will u trouble shoot?

cpu used more than 80% how will u trouble shoot? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramraj731
1 Replies

5. AIX

memory is more than 80% how will u trouble shoot it?

memory is more than 80% how will u trouble shoot it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramraj731
1 Replies

6. Programming

Msgget(2) returns 0 - a workaround fix

Greetings: I am posting this because my searches for this problem only came up with two posts and no helpful suggestions. I have a "solution" (read work-around hack) and have not tried yet to find a root cause, and may never because I am busy doing other things (read working to pay the bills). ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bandit
10 Replies
PMDASAMBA(1)						       Performance Co-Pilot						      PMDASAMBA(1)

NAME
pmdasamba - Samba performance metrics domain agent (PMDA) DESCRIPTION
pmdasamba is a Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which exports metric values from Samba, a Windows SMB/CIFS server for UNIX. In order for values to be made available by this PMDA, Samba must have been built with profiling support (WITH_PROFILE in "smbd -b" output). This PMDA dynamically enumerates much of its metric hierarchy, based on the contents of "smbstatus --profile". When the agent is installed (see below), the Install script will attempt to enable Samba statistics gathering, using "smbcontrol --profile". INSTALLATION
If you want access to the names and values for the samba performance metrics, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/samba # ./Install If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/samba # ./Remove pmdasamba is launched by pmcd(1) and should never be executed directly. The Install and Remove scripts notify pmcd(1) when the agent is installed or removed. FILES
$PCP_PMDAS_DIR/samba/Install installation script for the pmdasamba agent $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/samba/Remove undo installation script for the pmdasamba agent $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd/samba.log default log file for error messages from pmdasamba SEE ALSO
pmcd(1), smbd(1) and samba(7). 3.8.10 Performance Co-Pilot PMDASAMBA(1)