Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming get ID number from one string name by using awk Post 302521818 by kumaran_5555 on Thursday 12th of May 2011 11:15:05 AM
Old 05-12-2011
if you are reading the file by other method and want to feed awk line by line, you could use the below logic

Code:
while read line
do
echo $line|awk -F "[^0-9]*" '{print $2,$3}'
done < input_file.txt

This User Gave Thanks to kumaran_5555 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed - getting string instead of number

Hi! I am writing a script handling downloading list of files and I have to check whether file is present locally and if not finished than continue downloading. To do so I have to compare sizes of remote file and local file. To check remote file size I have to parse something like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hrwath
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change awk string result to number

How could I change the lines with grep and awk to output a number instead of a string? case '2': @ L0 = 1 @ LN = `grep RS_D resample.in | awk '{print $3}'` @ P0 = 1 @ PN = `grep RS_D resample.in | awk '{print $5}'` # ||| fall through ||| Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: larne
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK - number of specified characters in a string

Hello, I'm new to using AWK and would be grateful for some basic advice to get me started. I have a file consisting of 10 fields. Initially I wish to calculate the number of . , ~ and ^ characters in the 9th field ($9) of each line. This particular string also contains alphabetical... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olly
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk]compare a number in a string with a list

Hi, I have a program written in awk and I want to extend it to do another task. My program is a list of CVS log reports of a repository. For each file, I have some fields. One of the fields is the comment field. I want to know how I can check if a comment (which is a free text field)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepk1611
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string to number conversion

Can someone explain whats happening here: $ awk 'BEGIN {print (2.5 - 1)}' 1,5 2.5 - 1 is correctly calculated to 1,5 (using european locale) $ echo "2.5" | awk '{temp = $1 - 1; print temp}' 1 If i now pipe the string 2.5 through awk it seems at it truncates 2.5 to 2? What's the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: beow
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find number in string and delete it AWK

Hi all, i have some logs on my linux server that looks like this: CDR.2012-04-30:30-04-2012 14:09:36;123456456654;A;Greetings! Your amount is 42.24 dollars (without VAT) until 30/04/2012 11:00. CDR.2012-04-30:30-04-2012 14:09:36;12154878454212;A;Greetings! Your amount is 4203.2 dollars... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arrals_vl
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting awk Output as number instead of String

Hi All, I have a file a.txt, content as mentioned below: 22454750 This data in this control file and I have a variable called vCount which contains a number. I need to extract the 22454750 from the above file and compare with the variable vCount. If match fine or else exit. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - find number in string

I am trying to go through a file that has a few million lines. I want to only pull lines that contain a number anywhere in the ninth field, but it has to be after a "/" character. Here is my awk: awk -F\| '$9 ~ /\/*{1,}*/ {print $0}' file1 > file2 However, it is just printing out every... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dagamier
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass column number as variable to awk and compare with a string.

Hi All, I have a file test.txt. Content of test.txt : 1 vinay se 2 kumar sse 4 kishore tl I am extracting the content of file with below command. awk '$2 ~ "vinay" {print $0}' test.txt Now instead of hardcoding $2 is there any way pass $2 as variable and compare with a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Concatenate a string and number and compare that with another string in awk script

I have below code inside my awk script if ( $0 ~ /SVC IN:/ ) { svc_in=substr( $0,23 , 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) { msg_arr=$0; } } else if ( $0 ~ /^SVC OUT:/ ) { svc_out=substr( $0, 9, 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya123
6 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)