Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Is Kernel module is the same as a device driver? Post 302521779 by newlinuxuser1 on Thursday 12th of May 2011 08:42:33 AM
Old 05-12-2011
BTW, is there a database or repository to check on existing drivers before buying a device? My understanding that in most cases Linux drivers aren't provided by manufacturers but mostly by a community. I found numerous discussion forums for Ubuntu and some HCLs.
And, is there an issue of using old drivers with newer versions of kernel, or they are compatible? It's my understanding that 64-bit and 32-bit require different drivers.
Are Linux drivers universal and fit into all Linux flavors or let say Fedora needs one driver and Debian another?

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel and Device Driver Programming

I am looking for a guide on how to program for either the Linux or FreeBSD (includes 4.4BSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD) kernel. I would prefer to learn how to write device drivers, but anything would help. If you know, please email me at *removed* or leave a post here Regards, Farhan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farhan
0 Replies

2. Solaris

SUNWglmr -- rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c or SCSI device driver ?

I've been researching minimizeing Solaris 8 and found that on the web page http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/packagelist/s8u7PkgList/p2.html the package SUNWglmr is listed as "rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c, (Root) (32-bit)" while in the document "Solaris 8 minimize-updt1.pdf"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roygoodwin
1 Replies

3. Linux

Linux Device Driver: avoid mem copy from/to user/kernel space

I recently started working with Linux and wrote my first device driver for a hardware chip controlled by a host CPU running Linux 2.6.x kernel. 1. The user space process makes an IOCTL call with pointer to a user memory buffer. 2. The kernel device driver in the big switch-case of IOCTL,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agaurav
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Get pointer for existing device class (struct class) in Linux kernel module

Hi all! I am trying to register a device in an existing device class, but I am having trouble getting the pointer to an existing class. I can create a class in a module, get the pointer to it and then use it to register the device with: *cl = class_create(THIS_MODULE, className);... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdaniel@ualg.pt
0 Replies
SBP_TARG(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 					       SBP_TARG(4)

NAME
sbp_targ -- Serial Bus Protocol 2 (SBP-2) Target Mode devices driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device sbp_targ device firewire device scbus device targ Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following lines in loader.conf(5): firewire_load="YES" cam_load="YES" sbp_targ_load"YES" DESCRIPTION
The sbp_targ driver provides support for SBP-2 target mode. This driver is supposed to work with cam(4), targ(4) and firewire(4). You also need to use scsi_target(8), which can be found in /usr/share/examples/scsi_target, to provide actual devices. EXAMPLES
# mdconfig -a -t malloc -s 10m md0 # scsi_target 0:0:0 /dev/md0 (Assuming sbp_targ0 on scbus0) SEE ALSO
cam(4), firewire(4), targ(4), camcontrol(8), fwcontrol(8), kldload(8), scsi_target(8) AUTHORS
The sbp_targ driver was written by Hidetoshi Shimokawa. BUGS
This driver is currently under development. It does not work correctly in multi-initiator environments or after the bus topology has been changed. BSD
November 7, 2003 BSD