Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Importing env from csh to bash Post 302521753 by Deei on Thursday 12th of May 2011 06:50:16 AM
Old 05-12-2011
Importing env from csh to bash

Hi All, In my account with csh shell, there are lots of env variables set and I want to import those all to bash in one stroke, is there any way to do it ? Thanks, D

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stderr to dev/null in bash env.

Working in a bash environment, in the following example, how do I direct the error message that putting in an invalid flag (-j for example) would normally produce to dev/null? while getopts "abcd" opt do case "$opt" in i) a etc ;; r) b etc ;; f) c etc ;; v) d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash env variable containing @

I want to set a bash env variable which has @ in its name, for example, @YOGESH@ may i know how do i do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yogesh Sawant
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make your bash script run on a machine with csh and bash

hi, i have a script that runs on bash and would like to run it on a machine that has csh and bash. the default setting on that machine is csh. i dont want to change my code to run it with a csh shell. is there any way i can run the script (written in bash) on this machine? in other words is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Help with csh env setting in Fedora 8

Hi there, How can I change bash to csh when starting a terminal, and set some aliases for csh? I can't find such files like .cshrc in my home directory. Thanks a lot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dustinwang2003
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

importing functions from an external bash script

Hi all, I'm trying to import some functions I have saved in a file named functions.sh into a different script (protocol.sh). Can anybody show me how to do this? I tried source functions.sh as I would do at the terminal but source command cannot be found from within the script protocol.sh. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tevang
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Importing a path/file into a bash script

Hey, I'm new here. Basically, I'm trying to make a bash script that affects a file of my choice. What I want to do is $./script.sh /path/to/file.jpg and then the bash script will know that variable=/path/to/file.jpg Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TFB
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Csh - setenv ENV change environment variable

I have 3 programs, 1 in perl, 2 in csh: call them perl1, csh1 and run.ol I need perl1 to set csh1 variable NOLOG_qsub = "" I need perl1 to run, run.ol run.ol takes the executable and input and outputs to output run.ol#!/bin/csh -f # run.ol executable input output perl1 should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austinj
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved] Where & what bash env file, Mac OS?

Hi! I wanted to simplify my bash prompt, so I edited my etc/bashrc file. I thought this was the file that would override any other env files. When I opened it, I saw that the way it was setup was not what my prompt looked like, although I forget exactly what was there. But i edited it the way I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudon't
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading XML in bash and importing in Mysql

Hi, I'm not a pro bashscript writer but I'm learning and want to learn about my mistakes. In the next script I have an error on rule 6 but I can't find what I'm doing wrong ... I daily receive a file xml.xml and have to import it in an mysql database in a few existing tables. #!/bin/bash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: garf0r
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH script to export var to env

Hi all I am trying to create a script that takes a password input then writes that to a tmp file and puts that tmp file path in my env as a var. It does everything but export the my env and I am unsure why. I am using Ubuntu 12.4 #!/bin/bash read -s -p "Enter Password: " gfpassword... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koikoi
5 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)