Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need Help with function that has multiple ranges Post 302521507 by ctsgnb on Wednesday 11th of May 2011 11:44:01 AM
Old 05-11-2011
Code:
man seq

Code:
# seq 3 10

What is your final goal behind this ? what are you trying to achieve?

Just a quick shot :
Code:
# cat tst
#!/usr/bin/bash
start=0
echo "start=$start"

count(){
case $1 in
    -u) let start+=$2;echo "+$2";;
    -d) let start-=$2;echo "-$2";;
    *) echo "Error : first arg should be [-u|-d]
esac
echo "start=$start"
}

count -u 5
count -d 10
count -u 3
count -u 7
count -u 40
count -d 17

Code:
# bash tst
start=0
+5
start=5
start=-5
+3
start=-2
+7
start=5
+40
start=45
start=28

Last edited by ctsgnb; 05-11-2011 at 01:22 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

returning multiple values from a function in C

hi how can I return multiple values from a C function. I tried the following: #include <stdio.h> void foo(int id, char *first_name, char *last_name) { /* this is just an example to illustrate my problem... real code makes use of the "id" parameter. */ first_name = (char... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrewkl
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to achieve Parellelism for the function which has multiple cp commands

Hi, Here is my requirement. Currently, there is a function which gets called in a for loop 2 times. doCopy() { cp /src/a*.jar /target/ cp /src/b*.jar /target/ cp /src/c*.jar /target } Since it is called sequentially from the for loop, I was asked to make parellel copy to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kgsrinivas
7 Replies

3. Programming

Passing multiple values from a function in C

I know multiple values can be returned from a function in C like this: char **read_file ( char * , unsigned long int * );//this is the function prototypeunsigned long int number_of_words = 0;//variable defined in main() and initialized to 0words_from_dictionary = read_file ( "dictionary.dit" ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting columns falling within specific ranges for multiple files

Hi, I need to create weekly files from daily records stored in individual monthly filenames from 1999-2010. my sample file structure is like the ones below: daily record stored per month: 199901.xyz, 199902.xyz, 199903.xyz, 199904.xyz ...199912.xyz records inside 199901.xyz (original data... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert multiple number ranges into sequence?

Looking for a simple way to convert ranges to a numerical sequence that would assign the original value of the range to the individual numbers that are on the range. Thank you given data 13196-13199 0 13200 4 13201 10 13202-13207 3 13208-13210 7 desired... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcue25
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning and capturing multiple return values from a function

Hi I am pretty confused in returning and capturing multiple values i have defined a function which should return values "total, difference" i have used as #!/usr/bin/ksh calc() { total=$1+$2 echo "$total" diff=$2-$1 echo "$diff" } I have invoked this function as calc 5 8 Now i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using multiple gsub() function under a loop in awk

Hi ALL, I want to replace string occurrence in my file "Config" using a external file named "Mapping" using awk. $cat Config ! Configuration file for RAVI ! Configuration file for RACHANA ! Configuration file for BALLU $cat Mapping ravi:ram rachana:shyam ballu:hameed The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum values of specific column in multiple files, considering ranges defined in another file

I have a file (let say file B) like this: File B: A1 3 5 A1 7 9 A2 2 5 A3 1 3 The first column defines a filename and the other two define a range in that specific file. In the same directory, I have also three more files (File A1, A2 and A3). Here is 10 sample lines... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bastami
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] wanted: function with a clean way for multiple return values

Hi, I have a small part of a project which is done as a bash script. bash was selected as an portability issue that works out of the box. In this script I have an exec shell-function, a wrapper around arbitrary commands. I want to have STDOUT, as an addon STDERR and the EXIT-CODE of a specified... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stomp
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call Oracle function with multiple arguments from shell script?

Dear All, I want to know how can i call oracle function from shell script code . My oracle function have around 5 input parameters and one return value. for name in *.csv; do echo "connecting to DB and start processing '$name' file at " echo "csv file name=$x" sqlplus -s scoot/tiger <!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balraj
2 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD