Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Sharing internet from host os to guest os Post 302521381 by shelladdict on Wednesday 11th of May 2011 05:44:00 AM
Old 05-11-2011
i think there is something called guest additions(or VMware Tools) that will be added to VMware in order to get all the features on the guest OS

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Internet Sharing

I'm new to the unix world, but have been asked if our company could set up a high speed internet connection to our unix server in order to connect all our users without haveing to pay for all these telephone lines. I assume it is easy but unsafe. Any help from the basics to the advanced will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike11
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need help to set up internet sharing in linux.

Ok, I'm kind of in between newbie and experienced somewhere. I'm an advanced computer user but only have a little experience with linux and a lot of problems with it. Currently I'm using Linux-Mandrake 8.0 (I know, I know, but let's not go into the many reasons why it's not even close to the best... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nazo
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Internet Sharing with SUSE 7.3

I have a home network connected to a cable modem. I would like to use my SUSE 7.3 as a proxy. My layout is this. all computers connected to a hub. SUSE has 2 nics. 1 for cable modem(eth0, one for internal network connected to hub(eth1) All other machines connect to hub eth0 - DHCP from ISP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gdboling
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Internet sharing

I wanted to share internet with my Server running Win 2000 and client on Solaris 8. I networked them with a hub and 2 NICs on Server. Is there any software to share the internet? Need help!!!!!!!!!! Thanks... Praveen (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenk
5 Replies

5. IP Networking

Sharing internet connection

Hello all, Recently took a dive into Unix using Fedora 12 atm. I have cable modem with DHCP and a linksys 8 port router. With windows I was able to simple use the uplink port and plug each computer into the switch and use the internet connection. Having no luck doing the same in Unix. I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fingerz
0 Replies

6. Linux

Unable to ping Linux guest from win7 host

Hi, I am using win7 on my PC and installed VMware on it on which i am running linux I am unable to ping my linux guest from my win machine, but i can ping my windows host from linux guest : Below is my system configuration Linux root@localhost ~]# ifconfig eth0 Link... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chander_1987
9 Replies

7. Solaris

Why I cannot access internet from Solaris guest using url?

Hi all, I'm using virtualbox bridged adapter Host:Windows 7 Guest: Solaris 11 while I can ping between the host and guess, I cannot access the Internet from the solaris guest. here's my settings: while I can ping 173.194.38.128 (which is actually google.com), I cannot ping... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Qemu Problems: OpenBSD(host) Kali Linux(guest)

As the title suggests I ran into a little problem trying to create a virtual machine of Kali Linux usign Qemu inside OpenBSD. I edited the example Kali Linux gave on their website here to the following for BSD: qemu-system-i386 -hda ./kali.qcow2 -boot d -cdrom ./kali-linux-1.0.5-i386.iso -m... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
0 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

Virtualbox guest as a firewall for lUbuntu host

Using virtualbox, I am trying to use Alpine linux (guest) as a firewall for my lubuntu (host). My physical network card (NIC) is eth0. ISP WAN -> Alpine linux (guest) -> lubuntu (host) LAN I am trying to get the ip from my ISP DHCP server but I had no success. I know that in virtualbox I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TrickySecurity
0 Replies
VMWARE(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							 VMWARE(4)

NAME
vmware - VMware SVGA video driver SYNOPSIS
Section "Device" Identifier "devname" Driver "vmware" ... EndSection DESCRIPTION
vmware is an Xorg driver for VMware virtual video cards. MODESETTING, XINERAMA AND RANDR12 If the driver can connect to the "vmwgfx" kernel module on linux, it will attempt to use kernel modesetting and will then also use RandR12 for multiple output operation instead of Xinerama. The X server log or the "xrandr" application can be used to determine whether RandR12 or Xinerama is actually used. 3D ACCELERATION If the driver can connect to the "vmwgfx" kernel module on linux, and the Virtual Machine is set up to use 3D acceleration, the driver will try to use Gallium3D XA to accelerate 3D operations. It will also by default enable DRI, the Direct Rendering Infrastructure, primarily for accelerated OpenGL. If 3D acceleration is available, the driver will in addition provide an additional XVideo adaptor for textured video. Gallium3D XA,ibxatracker.so" and the accelerated OpenGL driver, "vmwgfx_dri.so" is provided by the mesa distribution. CONFIGURATION DETAILS
Please refer to xorg.conf(5) for general configuration details. This section only covers configuration details specific to this driver. The driver auto-detects the version of any virtual VMware SVGA adapter. The following driver Options are supported: Option "HWCursor" "boolean" Enable or disable the HW cursor. Default: off. Option "Xinerama" "boolean" Disable or enable Xinerama support. Default: xinerama is enabled if the hardware supports it. Option "StaticXinerama" "string" Provide a static xinerama geometry that will be active at server startup and will not be overridden at runtime. The format is "Width1xHeight1+Xoffset1+Yoffset1;Width2xHeight2+Xoffset2+Yoffset2" and so on. Negative offsets are not supported. If the driver is using RandR12, this option should be used to place and enable outputs at driver startup time or else when VMware tools is not used for that purpose. Also please see option "GuiLayout". Option "GuiLayout" "string" A synonym to option "StaticXinerama", since the latter name is somewhat misleading when RandR12 is favoured before Xinerarma. Option "AddDefaultMode" "boolean" Provide a default mode with a resolution identical to the resolution of the guest before the X server was started. The X server will thus try to start without changing resolution. Default: on. Option "RenderAccel" "boolean" Try to accelerate render operations if the operations are reading from previously accelerated contents (3D or video). This option is needed for 3D support. Default: on if 3D acceleration is supported. Otherwise off. Option "DRI" "boolean" Enable the Direct Rendering Infrastructure. Default: on if 3D acceleration is supported and "RenderAccel" is enabled. Otherwise off. Option "DirectPresents" "boolean" Speed up OpenGL swapbuffers by skipping a copy operation. This provides some OpenGL swapbuffer speedups, but may cause performance degradation and rendering errors when 3D contents is read back for mixing with software rendered contents. Default: off. Option "HwPresents" "boolean" This is a developer convenience option and should not be used by distros or normal users. When enabled, it copies software rendered contents to a 3D surface before presenting it, so that the visible screen is always present on a 3D surface. Default: off. Option "RenderCheck" "boolean" This is a developer convenience option and should not be used by distros or normal users. When enabled, it tries to use 3D accelera- tion for all XRender operations where 3D acceleration is supported, resulting in a considerable slowdown due to the increased number of readbacks of accelerated contents from host to guest. This option is used to verify that the accelerated Xrender paths works cor- rectly with the "rendercheck" application. Default: off. SEE ALSO Xorg(1), xorg.conf(5), Xserver(1), X(7), xrandr(1) AUTHORS
Copyright (c) 1999-2007 VMware, Inc. X Version 11 xf86-video-vmware 12.0.2 VMWARE(4)