Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Newbie.. Find if a file exists and open, if not create the desired file.. Post 302521017 by ananthap on Tuesday 10th of May 2011 03:20:59 AM
Old 05-10-2011
Code:
#! bin/bash
echo "Enter desired file"
read "$file"
if [ ! -f $file ] ; then
  touch $file #this will create the file
fi
vi $file

Please use code tags
This User Gave Thanks to ananthap For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to write a script in UNIX to find a file if another file exists

So I have a lot of Java applications on my servers all having their own folder from the applications subdirectory. Now, I need to do the following. Search all the applications subdirectories for message.jar. If the message.jar file exists, I need to search the application directory for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmdawg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file exists, create new file?

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to shell scripts (and UNIX in general) and I've been able to figure everything out except this... I want to write a script that will take a filename as an argument, append the date to it (IE Dec 24 2008) and make sure it doesn't already exist, if so, add an integer to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solarnoise
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find, if exists then append for file with same name

I will have to process multiple files with same name everyday. My requirement is: If on a certain day I see that filename.txt exists then the contents of the filename.txt would be added/append to the former file contents.Each time it sees the file the content would be added.But the header ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check if file exists, and create file

hi i have 2 questions: 1. how can i check if file exist in vi? i tryed to do: if ; then echo file exist but i get from the compiler if: Expression Syntax. 2. how can i create file in vi? when im using cat - so the script stop and wait for me to write somthing into the new file when im... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirnir26
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

unable to open / create any file in vi

Hi, I am unable to create/open any file in vi editor for normal user, though using root I am able to create/open any file, using redhat 5.5, example vi test it showing nothing after entering command (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Statement to find if an entry exists in a file

I need to check if an entry input by the user is in a file. If so, I need to run a command, and if it does not exist then it should output entry does not exist. So I have so far... echo "Enter record:" read record //command || //command Can I use an if statement to do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find out whether a file exists with the help of regular expression?

Hi all I have a list of file names in array. But this file names are not exact. so i want to search whether a file exists or not using regular expression. code snippet: if ; then echo "File exists" else echo "File does not exits" fi over here "*EQST*" should be treated as a regular... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh_more
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

See if file exists and if not create it

Hi, I am using an expect script to roll out an ssh key to multiple servers. I have a problem as on some of them the authorized_keys file exists and on some it doesn't. Where it exists I need to >> the key in and where it doesn't I need to create the file then sftp the file over. So I need some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a file and if exists , execute a different file

Good Morning All, I'm a novice and please excuse me if i did miss some of the forum rules. What my intention is, i have a file (services) residing @ /u01/Oracle/services. I know i can use the find command to find the "service" file. I get this file from a windows box and there is no certain... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinkingeye
8 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Newbie needs to find file

I need to find a file using Applescript. Applescript is so slow. Someone on the Apple forums gave me some unix code and it works for the most part. The ls command is really list and not find but when it works, it returns the path to the file instantly, NOT 45 seconds Applescript takes. here is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbrady
11 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)