Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Removing a character
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Removing a character Post 302520993 by rob171171 on Tuesday 10th of May 2011 12:23:40 AM
Old 05-10-2011
Removing a character

I need to remove square brackets from output of script.

Output is:

Code:
 [121]

and I need to remove the square brackets so I am lett with

Code:

Is sed the only means to do this and if so what are the options?

...ok so far I have managed to get rid of ] by using
Code:
 /usr/bin/sed 's/]//'

but that damn little [ is persistant....

but eventually I managed it by

Code:
 awk -F\[ ' { print $1" "$NF } ' <filename> | sed 's/\]//'

for future reference.

Last edited by rob171171; 05-10-2011 at 04:05 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing the ^M character in VI

Hello, I am attempting to remove all the ^M characters in a file in VI. The command I am using is :1,$s/^V^M//g but it doesn't work, saying 'substitute pattern match failed'. Any ideas why? Jules (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: julesinbath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing first character in a string

While writing a shell script i happen to store some value in a string. Lets say the value is 59788. Now in this script i want to get the value 9788 removing the first charater 5. The original string length usually remains constant. Is there a single line command to do this or any simple way to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npn
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing new line character

I'm appending header and trailer record for a binary file using echo "$header" > filename cat oldfilename >> filename echo "$trailer" >> filename The echo is introducing newline character after header and trailer.Please let me know is there any possibility to get rid of newline character. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing ^Z Character in a File

Hi, I am having a pipe (|) delimited file which is having ^Z character in the middle of the text.Could anyone please suggest me how to remove this ^Z Character from the file.I almost used all the ideas posted in this site but none of them worked in my case since tis ^Z character is not coming at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoenix86
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last character of string

Hi , I have a file with the following contents in file test1.txt . AMY_MTT_240Y001,N60_PG2_10G001,A2H_P3H_10G002,7C7_7D7_NP1,A2E_PV0_10G002,L78_PG1_64S001,A2H_P2M_NP2,LDN_YSN_64S001,WV6_WYV_64... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some help removing a character from name

I have a file like this: DDD_ABCDE2AB2_1104081408.104480 I need to remove the 1 after the . in the file name so that it reads: DDD_ABCDE2AB2_1104081408.04480 Having some difficulty getting the command to work. I tried using cut -d 26 but that just doesn't work. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help removing last character of every line if certain character

I need help removing the last character of every line if it is a certain character. For example I need to get rid of a % character if it is in the last position. Input: aaa% %bbb ccc d%dd% Output should be: aaa %bbb ccc d%dd I tried this but it gets rid of all of the % characters.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor25
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing last character

Hi, I have a file that has data something like below: A B C D ..... ...... .....and so on I am trying to bring it in one line with comma delimited something like below : A,B,C,D I tried the something below in the code section: cat File.txt | tr '\n' ',' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing of junk character

Dear ALL, How to remove junk charecter ^M from unix file i am using sun solaris unix. I already tried few commands :%s/^M//g :%s/r//g but it didnt helped me. Any help appriciated. Thanks Ripudaman Please view this code tag video for how to use code tags when posting code... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripudaman.singh
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing the ^M control character

I've got a file where each line is separated by ^M characters. I want to be able to cat the file without those lines. When I cat the file now what I see are blank lines. However, the blank lines are actually ^M characters; when I open the file with vi they show up. X38888 No No No... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
7 Replies
Managed Object(3m17n)						 The m17n Library					     Managed Object(3m17n)

NAME
Managed_Object - Objects managed by the reference count. Data Structures struct M17NObjectHead The first member of a managed object. Functions void * m17n_object (int size, void(*freer)(void *)) Allocate a managed object. int m17n_object_ref (void *object) Increment the reference count of a managed object. int m17n_object_unref (void *object) Decrement the reference count of a managed object. Detailed Description Objects managed by the reference count. Managed objects are objects managed by the reference count. There are some types of m17n objects that are managed by their reference count. Those objects are called managed objects. When created, the reference count of a managed object is initialized to one. The m17n_object_ref() function increments the reference count of a managed object by one, and the m17n_object_unref() function decrements by one. A managed object is automatically freed when its reference count becomes zero. A property whose key is a managing key can have only a managed object as its value. Some functions, for instance msymbol_put() and mplist_put(), pay special attention to such a property. In addition to the predefined managed object types, users can define their own managed object types. See the documentation of the m17n_object() for more details. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for The m17n Library from the source code. Data Structure Documentation M17NObjectHead FIELD DOCUMENTATION: void* M17NObjectHead::filler[2] COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001 Information-technology Promotion Agency (IPA) Copyright (C) 2001-2011 National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html>. Version 1.6.2 12 Jan 2011 Managed Object(3m17n)