Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing variables from bash to php-cli Post 302520860 by robbee on Monday 9th of May 2011 01:42:21 PM
Old 05-09-2011
Passing variables from bash to php-cli

Hello everyone,

I've been looking how to pass variables between bash and php-cli in 1 file. So far i got this:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "This is bash"

php << EOF
<?php
echo "This is php\n";
?>
EOF

I would now like to be able to pass a variable declared in the bash to the php. I already figured out i can split it in 2 files and get the variable in php with $argv, but i would really like my script to be 1 file.

Thanks in advance

---------- Post updated at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:35 PM ----------

Just managed to answer my own question. For those wondering:

bash: export VAR="value"
php: getenv("VAR");

---------- Post updated at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:59 PM ----------

ok next problem... i can't seem to declare any variables in the php.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "This is bash"
export VAR="blabla"

/usr/bin/php -q << EOF
<?php

echo getenv("VAR");

?>
EOF

works good, while this doesn't work:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "This is bash"
export VAR="blabla"

/usr/bin/php -q << EOF
<?php

$var = getenv("VAR");
echo $var;

?>
EOF

i get this error: PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=' in - on line 3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with passing XML variables to MySQL DB via PHP

Hi everybody, I need the help of the Unix community once again :) I have some code which queries an XML feed and displays the results for me. I would like to enter the XML output in to my database, but I am having trouble passing the variables while INSERTing. Here is my code that I need to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: o0110o
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables problem - Bash

I have a following problem: #!/bin/bash NUM=`cat accounts | wc -l`; for i in {1..$NUM} do account=`awk "NR==$i" accounts`; echo -e "\nAccount: $account\n"; sudo ./backup_maildir $account; done "accounts" is a file with regular e-mail addresses, one in each line.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobanpetrovic
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Download php content using cli

I'm trying to make a bash script that downloads videos from websites. Is there a cli program for linux that allows me to download php content using one command line entry? I can't use cli curl or wget for this(I think). I'm talking about addresses like these: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to cli curl

I have a script that uses cli curl, and it would be easier if it was possible to pass variables like this: curl -c $cookie -d $data www.********.comThis doesn't work, instead I have to generate a string and use eval. Is there another, easier way to pass variables to cli curl? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash - CLI - grep - Passing result to grep through pipe

Hello. I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name are exactly 2 characters long and not more than 2 characters and begin with "nv" lsmod | (e)grep '^nv???????????? I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name begin with "nv" and are 2 to 7 characters long ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Getting a semi-tailing backslash when passing (escaped) variables to script

Heyas Figured me had a 'typo' in tui-conf-set, i went to fix it. Now, i also figured, it might be nice to have tui-conf-set report (to console, not only exit code) wether it could save the variable to the file or not. This said, I appended this code: (the tui-title and tui-echo lines are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

9. Web Development

Passing variable from PHP to bash script

I am totally new to PHP and I am trying to create a script that will as a user for a hostname and then use the "hostname" variable to generate a report using REST API. I am able to create the html script and php script to GET the "hostname" but I am having trouble passing the hostname variable... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] passing variables to executable doesn't work

Bash version 4.4.20 / Ubuntu 16.0.4 Hello, I tried to write a script that gathers some data and passes them to an executable. The executed application answers with an error. The echo output in the script returns correct values. If I copy/paste the last echo command, it get's executed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushi2k7
2 Replies
CHOWN(3)								 1								  CHOWN(3)

chown - Changes file owner

SYNOPSIS
bool chown (string $filename, mixed $user) DESCRIPTION
Attempts to change the owner of the file $filename to user $user. Only the superuser may change the owner of a file. PARAMETERS
o $filename - Path to the file. o $user - A user name or number. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Simple chown(3) usage <?php // File name and username to use $file_name= "foo.php"; $path = "/home/sites/php.net/public_html/sandbox/" . $file_name ; $user_name = "root"; // Set the user chown($path, $user_name); // Check the result $stat = stat($path); print_r(posix_getpwuid($stat['uid'])); ?> The above example will output something similar to: Array ( [name] => root [passwd] => x [uid] => 0 [gid] => 0 [gecos] => root [dir] => /root [shell] => /bin/bash ) NOTES
Note This function will not work on remote files as the file to be examined must be accessible via the server's filesystem. Note When safe mode is enabled, PHP checks whether the files or directories being operated upon have the same UID (owner) as the script that is being executed. SEE ALSO
chmod(3), chgrp(3). PHP Documentation Group CHOWN(3)