Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Best Alternative to Search Text strings in directory Post 302520579 by mirni on Sunday 8th of May 2011 07:10:57 AM
Old 05-08-2011
a) <file redirection is not too much more efficient than your for loop. It really just saves one process (cat). The best is to avoid shell loop and run the file through a filter, like awk.
And since you're not using find(1) to do anything super useful, it can be omitted as well. Something along these lines:
Code:
awk -v "dir=$someDir" -v "log=some.log" '{print "Searching for "$0 >> log; printf("grep -il \"%s\" * | sed \"s/^/%s, /\"\n", $0,$0); }' Customers.lst

This will print the commands to stdout. Look at it, take one, and execute it, and if everythinh seems well, pipe it to bash and capture the output to a file:
Code:
awk -v "dir=$someDir" -v "log=some.log" '{print "Searching for "$0  >> log; printf("grep -il \"%s\" * | sed \"s/^/%s, /\"\n", $0,$0);  }' Customers.lst | sh > output.log

b) if you omit double quotes and you're searching for a 2-word pattern, grep takes second word as the file to do search on:
Code:
$ cat file 
John Doe
John OtherDoe
$ grep John Doe file 
grep: Doe: No such file or directory
file:John Doe
file:John OtherDoe
$ grep "John Doe" file 
John Doe

Last edited by mirni; 05-08-2011 at 08:20 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search between strings with an OR

Hi have Input in this way KEY AAAA BBBB END1 KEY AAAA BBBB END2 KEY AAAA BBBB END3 I need to find any thing matching in between KEY And ending with "END1|END2|END3" This didnot work awk '/KEY/,/END1|END2|END3/' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to do search and replace on text files in directory

I was google searching and found Perl as a command line utility tool This almost solves my problem: find . | xargs perl -p -i.old -e 's/oldstring/newstring/g' I think this would create a new file for every file in my directory tree. Most of my files will not contain oldstring and I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a text within files in a directory

I need to search for a particular string. This string might be present in many files. The directory in which I am present has more than one subdirectories. Hence, the search should check in all the subdirectories and all the corresponding files and give a list of files which have the particular... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pakspan
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert alternative columns and sort text from first column to second?

Hi Everybody, I am just new to UNIX as well as to this forum. I have a text file with 10,000 coloumns and each coloumn contains values separated by space. I want to separate them into new coloumns..the file is something like this as ad af 1 A as ad af 1 D ... ... 1 and A are in one... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search replace strings between single quotes in a text file

Hi There... I need to serach and replace a strings in a text file. My file has; books.amazon='Let me read' and the output needed is books.amazon=NONFOUND pls if anybody know this can be done in script sed or awk.. i have a list of different strings to be repced by NONFOUND.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiano
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search between two search strings and print the value

Based on the forums i have tried with grep command but i am unable to get the required output. search this value /*------ If that is found then search for temp_vul and print and also search until /*------- and print new_vul Input file contains: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in search strings from text file, search for string in second text file and output to CSV

Hi guys, I have a text file named file1.txt that is formatted like this: 001 , ID , 20000 002 , Name , Brandon 003 , Phone_Number , 616-234-1999 004 , SSNumber , 234-23-234 005 , Model , Toyota 007 , Engine ,V8 008 , GPS , OFF and I have file2.txt formatted like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: An0mander
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search strings from a file in files in a directory recursively; then print the string with a status

Hi All, I hope somebody would be able to help me. I would need to search a string coming from a file, example file.txt: dog cat goat horse fish For every string, I would need to know if there are any files inside a directory(recursively) that contains the string regardless of case.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a text between two strings in a file using regex

Here is my sample file data: My requirement is to have a regex expression that is able to search for visible starting string "SSLInsecureRenegotiation Off" between strings "<VirtualHost " and "</VirtualHost>". In the sample data two lines should be matched. Below is what I tried but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
Net::DNS::Mailbox(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Net::DNS::Mailbox(3)

NAME
Net::DNS::Mailbox - DNS mailbox representation SYNOPSIS
use Net::DNS::Mailbox; $mailbox = new Net::DNS::Mailbox('user@example.com'); $address = $mailbox->address; DESCRIPTION
The Net::DNS::Mailbox module implements a subclass of DNS domain name objects representing the DNS coded form of RFC822 mailbox address. METHODS
new $mailbox = new Net::DNS::Mailbox('John.Doe@example.com'); $mailbox = new Net::DNS::Mailbox('John Doe <j.doe@example.com>'); Creates a mailbox object which represents the DNS domain encoded form of the mail address specified by the character string argument. The argument string consists of printable characters from the 7-bit ASCII repertoire. address $address = $mailbox->address; Returns a character string containing the RFC822 mailbox address corresponding to the encoded domain name representation described in RFC1035 section 8. DOMAIN NAME COMPRESSION AND CANONICALISATION
The Net::DNS::Mailbox1035 and Net::DNS::Mailbox2535 subclass packages implement RFC1035 domain name compression and RFC2535 canonicalisation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c)2009,2012 Dick Franks. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl, Net::DNS, Net::DNS::DomainName, RFC822, RFC1035, RFC5322 perl v5.18.2 2014-01-16 Net::DNS::Mailbox(3)