Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ignoring mv commands "cannot stat" error ? Post 302520578 by pasc on Sunday 8th of May 2011 07:10:21 AM
Old 05-08-2011
Ignoring mv commands "cannot stat" error ?

So, my third thread here ^^ and still asking questions.

Thanks for you patience and help, I really appreciated it Smilie

I currently use a shell script to move folders of songs from one to another location on my harddrive.
I use something like this:

Code:
sudo mv /var/mobile/Media/"My Music"/"Vasco Rossi" /var/mobile/Media/0tempmusic/"Vasco Rossi"
sudo mv /var/mobile/Media/"My Music"/"Yui" /var/mobile/Media/0tempmusic/"Yui"
sudo mv /var/mobile/Media/"My Music"/"ZARD" /var/mobile/Media/0tempmusic/"ZARD"
sudo mv /var/mobile/Media/"My Music"/"8 Mile[Soundtrack][2002][MP3@320kbps]-FLAWL3SS" /var/mobile/Media/0tempmusic/"8 Mile[Soundtrack][2002][MP3@320kbps]-FLAWL3SS"
sudo mv /var/mobile/Media/"My Music"/"Berlin Calling OST" /var/mobile/Media/0tempmusic/"Berlin Calling OST"
sudo mv /var/mobile/Media/"My Music"/"Hangover OST" /var/mobile/Media/0tempmusic/"Hangover OST"
sudo mv /var/mobile/Media/"My Music"/"Inception OST - 2010 - (Hans Zimmer)" /var/mobile/Media/0tempmusic/"Inception OST - 2010 - (Hans Zimmer)"

The problem however is that I don't have all the folders in the place the script works with.
This naturally results in cannot stat errors.

What I would be interested in now is a way to have the script just ignore any "cannot stat error message".

I know that using a "if-else" would solve the job, but since the code up there is only a small portion of the real thing it simply would be alot of work and writing (or copy and paste if you want) to do.

I hope there is something the mv command has that will help me with that.

As always:

Thanks in advance you guys are awesome Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

"read" command ignoring leading spaces

I have to read a file line by line, change it and then update the file. Problem is, when i read the file, "read" command ignores leading spaces. The file is a script which is indented in many places for clarity. How to i make "read" command read leading spaces as well. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is a "find stat() error"

I'm searching for an oracle emtab file. I do a find / -name emtab -print and the first result gives me find: stat() error /apps/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/bin/console.txt: I/O error Can someone explain what this error means? thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix commands delete all files starting with "X" except "X" itself. HELP!!!!?

im a new student in programming and im stuck on this question so please please HELP ME. thanks. the question is this: enter a command to delete all files that have filenames starting with labtest, except labtest itself (delete all files startign with 'labtest' followed by one or more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soccerball
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to resolve error "INIT: Cannot stat /etc/inittab, errno: 2"

Hi All, I am getting an error message when I execute command “zlogin -C sunsrv4z5” on my root server. INIT: Cannot stat /etc/inittab, errno: 2 INIT: Cannot stat /etc/inittab, errno: 2 As per my analysis it seems that some files inside /etc folder are deleted. This server was... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: surbhit4u
14 Replies

5. Solaris

Relation btw commands, "man" and "more" ???

Hi guys, Hope u r doing find. I have this query. When we check the manual pages for a certain command, say man cat we see the manual page with more What is UNIX really doing here, I mean why not less command instead of more command. And can we have UNIX display the manual pages with less command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Intermittent "cp: cannot stat" error with nested loop

I have a bash script that has been running (on SUSE 9.3) dozens of times over the past couple of years without error. Recently it has been hitting intermittent “cp: cannot stat FILE: No such file or directory” errors. The script has nested loops that continuously process files in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcart
2 Replies

8. AIX

Equalent of Linux "stat" in AIX

i would like to know the equivalent of stat -c %Y <file> command in AIX. i tried "istat" but its not giving the epoch time and also tried with perl perl -le'printf "%o", 07777 & (stat) for @ARGV' <file> it not also provding the timing . ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: expert
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is "stat: illegal option -- -" an issue with hyphenated filename or flag problem?

Hi. I'm trying to install VMWare Workstation to run a virtual machine on my Mac OS, but running the bundle from bash(xterm) sh VMware-workstation-Full-11.0.0-2305329.x86_64.bundle (as suggested in install guide) comes up with error:stat: illegal option -- - usage: stat Digging... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: defeated
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract delta records using with "comm" and "sort" commands combination

Hi All, I have 2 pipe delimited files viz., file_old and file_new. I'm trying to compare these 2 files, and extract all the different rows between them into a new_file. comm -3 < sort file_old < sort file_new > new_file I am getting the below error: -ksh: sort: cannot open But if I do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: njny
7 Replies