Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions brand new user!.. Lost on BASH script writing Post 302520518 by Byrang on Saturday 7th of May 2011 10:21:53 PM
Old 05-07-2011
Data

thank you very much, I'm searching the forums for a beginners guide, so I have a cheat sheet for syntax, i.e. when to put [ xyz ] and what (( xyz )) means so I won't have to bug folks too terribly much

---------- Post updated at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:05 PM ----------
Another one I can't decipher..

Code:
#!/bin/bash
for NAME in /etc/*
do
if [ r "$NAME" af "$NAME" ] then
wc c "$NAME"
fi
done

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 05-08-2011 at 05:43 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems writing bash script to unzip files

I'm getting the following errors when I try to write a script to unzip some zip files. When I use the free trial copy of the commerical winzip program, however, they work fine. When I use -l or -t on unzip it indicates no errors. When I use the -o switch interactively from the bash command line it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing Bash script

Could anyone help me to Write a script in BASH Shell to determine the percentage of system disk space you are using. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boris
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with writing simple bash script

I want to write a bash script to: 1. Send an email from localhost to an external gmail account. (gmail then automatically forwards the message back to a pop account on the same server. 2. Script waits 3 minutes then checks to see if the email arrived, and if not, it sends an email to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sallyanne
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a bash script using host

Im trying to write a script using the host command but its not working properly. I cant understand what Im doing wrong. When I use it at the command prompt, it works fine. But its being used actually in the script, it says its not found: 2 SERVFAIL. Can anyone help me? Here's what I have so far: no... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: relsha
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mkbootfs writing to stdout in bash script

Hi, I need to automate some repacking tasks of a boot image for Android When in command line, I can use this command: mkbootfs /path/to/root > /path/to/ramdisk-recovery.cpio;However, if I try to run the command from a shell script under Ubuntu, it fails and outputs to stdout instead of the... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phil3759
27 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about writing a bash script

Hello, I want to write a bash script to delete the content after '#'. However, if '#' appears in a string with "", ignore this. For example, input file: test #delete "test #not delete" Output file: test "test #not delete" Does anyone know how to write this script? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeffwang66
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why commands inside bash script lost effectiveness?

Hi, I have a bash script to run many system commands on CentOS machine, but I am puzzled by some commands had no effect on parent environment. For example, I want to refresh the desktop xdg menu when some processes added or deleted items from desktop xdg menu. If I run "killall gnome-panel"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing hive scripts in bash script file

Hi, I wanted to load data from HDFS to HIVE by writing bash script. Description: I have written a bash script to validate the data and loaded validated data from local file system to HDFS. Now in the same bash script i wanted to load the data from HDFS to HIVE. How can i do it ? Also how tyhe... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shree11
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing Hbase and pig scripts in the bash script file

Hi, I have a script file where i'm validatig the input file and storing the validated records on HDFS. I wanted to load data from HDFS to HBASE using pig script. So for that i have created a HBASE table and written pig script to load data from HDFS to HBASE which is working fine. Now i wanted... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shree11
0 Replies
OD(1)									FSF								     OD(1)

NAME
od - dump files in octal and other formats SYNOPSIS
od [OPTION]... [FILE]... od --traditional [FILE] [[+]OFFSET [[+]LABEL]] DESCRIPTION
Write an unambiguous representation, octal bytes by default, of FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE argument, concatenate them in the listed order to form the input. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. All arguments to long options are mandatory for short options. -A, --address-radix=RADIX decide how file offsets are printed -j, --skip-bytes=BYTES skip BYTES input bytes first -N, --read-bytes=BYTES limit dump to BYTES input bytes -s, --strings[=BYTES] output strings of at least BYTES graphic chars -t, --format=TYPE select output format or formats -v, --output-duplicates do not use * to mark line suppression -w, --width[=BYTES] output BYTES bytes per output line --traditional accept arguments in traditional form --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Traditional format specifications may be intermixed; they accumulate: -a same as -t a, select named characters -b same as -t oC, select octal bytes -c same as -t c, select ASCII characters or backslash escapes -d same as -t u2, select unsigned decimal shorts -f same as -t fF, select floats -h same as -t x2, select hexadecimal shorts -i same as -t d2, select decimal shorts -l same as -t d4, select decimal longs -o same as -t o2, select octal shorts -x same as -t x2, select hexadecimal shorts For older syntax (second call format), OFFSET means -j OFFSET. LABEL is the pseudo-address at first byte printed, incremented when dump is progressing. For OFFSET and LABEL, a 0x or 0X prefix indicates hexadecimal, suffixes may be . for octal and b for multiply by 512. TYPE is made up of one or more of these specifications: a named character c ASCII character or backslash escape d[SIZE] signed decimal, SIZE bytes per integer f[SIZE] floating point, SIZE bytes per integer o[SIZE] octal, SIZE bytes per integer u[SIZE] unsigned decimal, SIZE bytes per integer x[SIZE] hexadecimal, SIZE bytes per integer SIZE is a number. For TYPE in doux, SIZE may also be C for sizeof(char), S for sizeof(short), I for sizeof(int) or L for sizeof(long). If TYPE is f, SIZE may also be F for sizeof(float), D for sizeof(double) or L for sizeof(long double). RADIX is d for decimal, o for octal, x for hexadecimal or n for none. BYTES is hexadecimal with 0x or 0X prefix, it is multiplied by 512 with b suffix, by 1024 with k and by 1048576 with m. Adding a z suffix to any type adds a display of printable characters to the end of each line of output. --string without a number implies 3. --width without a number implies 32. By default, od uses -A o -t d2 -w 16. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for od is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and od programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info od should give you access to the complete manual. od (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 OD(1)