Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions brand new user!.. Lost on BASH script writing Post 302520517 by Corona688 on Saturday 7th of May 2011 09:51:17 PM
Old 05-07-2011
Nothing -- it's syntactically invalid. Here's how you fix it:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# false is a program that always returns a nonzero value.
# if considers nonzero as fail, so this 
# You can't just put 'then' straight after, either a newline or ; is needed between
if false
then
         echo "1"
# true on the other hand always returns 0, so it does 'echo 2'.
elif true
then
       echo "2"
else
# it never runs 'echo 3', under any circumstances.
        echo "3"
fi

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems writing bash script to unzip files

I'm getting the following errors when I try to write a script to unzip some zip files. When I use the free trial copy of the commerical winzip program, however, they work fine. When I use -l or -t on unzip it indicates no errors. When I use the -o switch interactively from the bash command line it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing Bash script

Could anyone help me to Write a script in BASH Shell to determine the percentage of system disk space you are using. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boris
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with writing simple bash script

I want to write a bash script to: 1. Send an email from localhost to an external gmail account. (gmail then automatically forwards the message back to a pop account on the same server. 2. Script waits 3 minutes then checks to see if the email arrived, and if not, it sends an email to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sallyanne
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a bash script using host

Im trying to write a script using the host command but its not working properly. I cant understand what Im doing wrong. When I use it at the command prompt, it works fine. But its being used actually in the script, it says its not found: 2 SERVFAIL. Can anyone help me? Here's what I have so far: no... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: relsha
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mkbootfs writing to stdout in bash script

Hi, I need to automate some repacking tasks of a boot image for Android When in command line, I can use this command: mkbootfs /path/to/root > /path/to/ramdisk-recovery.cpio;However, if I try to run the command from a shell script under Ubuntu, it fails and outputs to stdout instead of the... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phil3759
27 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about writing a bash script

Hello, I want to write a bash script to delete the content after '#'. However, if '#' appears in a string with "", ignore this. For example, input file: test #delete "test #not delete" Output file: test "test #not delete" Does anyone know how to write this script? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeffwang66
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why commands inside bash script lost effectiveness?

Hi, I have a bash script to run many system commands on CentOS machine, but I am puzzled by some commands had no effect on parent environment. For example, I want to refresh the desktop xdg menu when some processes added or deleted items from desktop xdg menu. If I run "killall gnome-panel"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing hive scripts in bash script file

Hi, I wanted to load data from HDFS to HIVE by writing bash script. Description: I have written a bash script to validate the data and loaded validated data from local file system to HDFS. Now in the same bash script i wanted to load the data from HDFS to HIVE. How can i do it ? Also how tyhe... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shree11
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing Hbase and pig scripts in the bash script file

Hi, I have a script file where i'm validatig the input file and storing the validated records on HDFS. I wanted to load data from HDFS to HBASE using pig script. So for that i have created a HBASE table and written pig script to load data from HDFS to HBASE which is working fine. Now i wanted... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shree11
0 Replies
IS_STRING(3)								 1							      IS_STRING(3)

is_string - Find whether the type of a variable is string

SYNOPSIS
bool is_string (mixed $var) DESCRIPTION
Finds whether the type given variable is string. PARAMETERS
o $var - The variable being evaluated. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE if $var is of type string, FALSE otherwise. EXAMPLES
Example #1 is_string(3) example <?php $values = array(false, true, null, 'abc', '23', 23, '23.5', 23.5, '', ' ', '0', 0); foreach ($values as $value) { echo "is_string("; var_export($value); echo ") = "; echo var_dump(is_string($value)); } ?> The above example will output: is_string(false) = bool(false) is_string(true) = bool(false) is_string(NULL) = bool(false) is_string('abc') = bool(true) is_string('23') = bool(true) is_string(23) = bool(false) is_string('23.5') = bool(true) is_string(23.5) = bool(false) is_string('') = bool(true) is_string(' ') = bool(true) is_string('0') = bool(true) is_string(0) = bool(false) SEE ALSO
is_float(3), is_int(3), is_bool(3), is_object(3), is_array(3). PHP Documentation Group IS_STRING(3)