Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mounting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Mounting Post 302520493 by ygemici on Saturday 7th of May 2011 03:14:33 PM
Old 05-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac91
what is the meaning of root devise????
kernel wants the '/' mounting nd i think it represting the root directory so means directory also work as a storage devise.
nd another thing by changing in every file presenting in fstab file i can change the whole setting of my system?
actually root device is your first ordered (or active or master) device in system.
i can be used it that i meant so "because kernel must mount as rootfs with appropriate labeled "in" correct root device.

However let's belows.
Code:
# df -h '/'
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2              18G  2.9G   14G  18% /

/dev/sda is your root device..( /dev/ dir is pseudo fs that created by kernel(udev) for attached stroge units)
/dev/sda2 is your root partition device points to its own mount point "/"
/ is your root mount point for access files in root partition. (you can think "/" is like C drive in windows )

regards
ygemici

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Mounting...?

Hi everyone, this is the first time I have ever properly used Linux - I run Red Hat Linux 8. I have two hardrives, my main 80gig, and my "extra" 15gig, I would like to be able to gain access to my 15gig and view the files. I know to view files on a floppy disk or a cd you need to mount the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mo0ness
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Mounting root

Hello, How do I mount root on networked machines in Solaris 2.5 and 7? I did it before but I lost the clue. Was it something in vfstab? root=? I want to give some machines or users rootaccess on other machines on the lan. Do I specify users or machines at the root is option? Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Albert
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting cdrom on DG/UX

Hi, I'm looking to mount a cd on an old AViiON system we have. No one here really has any expertise with this platform so any help will be appreciated. I * think* the device is sd(apsc(pci(1),B,0,7),5,0), however I'm not sure at all. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: madesjardins
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting help.

Hello, I am trying to mount a second scsi hard drive on a SCO box. (5.0.5.) And I can't figure out what the device file for it is so I can mount it. Can anyone help me? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iconn
1 Replies

5. BSD

Mounting

Hi I mounted disk which have two partition C: , D: ( i am not sure if both partition have same file system) with this commad: mount -t msdosfs /dev/ad2s1 /mnt/windows but this is mounted only first partition with fat file system. ( in windows XP C: ) How can i mount another partition... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sniper007
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting fs ext3

I'm trying to find a correct command that will mount a filesystem ext3 the device /dev/sda1 to mount point /mnt/usb but not allow any programs to run from it. I want to be honest as I've read the forum rules... This is a homework question BUT, i'm generally interested in the correct process and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CasperQuiet
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with mounting my USB

My previous post seems to be erased and I didn't get any help. I'm logged as root now but no mounting command seems to work, I've tried: Mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /mnt/USB Changing "sdc1" for hda1-7, and sdc1-7, and still nothing. Sometimes i get: "special device not found" and others "device... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dax01
4 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

mounting

I generally use mount many times to mount an iso image or as a bind between directories or mounting a squash file system. Y does one require root permission to do a mount --bind between two of his own directories or just mount an iso/squash image in directory he owns? Also I wish mount had an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbala
0 Replies

9. HP-UX

Mounting LUN on HP 11.31

Hello, I want monting a LUN on a RX2660 I have created a LUN of 100Go with HP StorageWorks EVA and associated to my server. For the moment I see it with the command below but after i can't used it # ioscan -fnkC disk Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: letters
10 Replies
PIVOT_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						     PIVOT_ROOT(8)

NAME
pivot_root - change the root filesystem SYNOPSIS
pivot_root new_root put_old DESCRIPTION
pivot_root moves the root file system of the current process to the directory put_old and makes new_root the new root file system. Since pivot_root(8) simply calls pivot_root(2), we refer to the man page of the latter for further details. Note that, depending on the implementation of pivot_root, root and cwd of the caller may or may not change. The following is a sequence for invoking pivot_root that works in either case, assuming that pivot_root and chroot are in the current PATH: cd new_root pivot_root . put_old exec chroot . command Note that chroot must be available under the old root and under the new root, because pivot_root may or may not have implicitly changed the root directory of the shell. Note that exec chroot changes the running executable, which is necessary if the old root directory should be unmounted afterwards. Also note that standard input, output, and error may still point to a device on the old root file system, keeping it busy. They can easily be changed when invoking chroot (see below; note the absence of leading slashes to make it work whether pivot_root has changed the shell's root or not). OPTIONS
-V, --version Output version information and exit. -h, --help Display help and exit. EXAMPLES
Change the root file system to /dev/hda1 from an interactive shell: mount /dev/hda1 /new-root cd /new-root pivot_root . old-root exec chroot . sh <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 umount /old-root Mount the new root file system over NFS from 10.0.0.1:/my_root and run init: ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up # for portmap # configure Ethernet or such portmap # for lockd (implicitly started by mount) mount -o ro 10.0.0.1:/my_root /mnt killall portmap # portmap keeps old root busy cd /mnt pivot_root . old_root exec chroot . sh -c 'umount /old_root; exec /sbin/init' <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 SEE ALSO
chroot(1), mount(8), pivot_root(2), switch_root(8), umount(8) AVAILABILITY
The pivot_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2011 PIVOT_ROOT(8)