Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mounting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Mounting Post 302520476 by ygemici on Saturday 7th of May 2011 12:49:29 PM
Old 05-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac91
Thanx Ygemici for ur long explanation...............i appreciate it.
tell me one another thing.............
suppose a condition i open the file /etc/fstab nd change some predefined label condition in '/' directiory and restart the system then system cant boot nd give the error of mounting of '/' directory.................what should i do for it?????
if you change only in fstab that means your configuration is remaing missing. you must apply same change in your boot file (grub.conf or elilo.conf or lilo.conf or others..) for rootfs mount in booting process.because kernel must mount as rootfs with appropriate labeled with correct root device.

if you dont help this information then you can write the output the boot conf and fstab file in here..

regards
ygemici

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Mounting...?

Hi everyone, this is the first time I have ever properly used Linux - I run Red Hat Linux 8. I have two hardrives, my main 80gig, and my "extra" 15gig, I would like to be able to gain access to my 15gig and view the files. I know to view files on a floppy disk or a cd you need to mount the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mo0ness
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Mounting root

Hello, How do I mount root on networked machines in Solaris 2.5 and 7? I did it before but I lost the clue. Was it something in vfstab? root=? I want to give some machines or users rootaccess on other machines on the lan. Do I specify users or machines at the root is option? Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Albert
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting cdrom on DG/UX

Hi, I'm looking to mount a cd on an old AViiON system we have. No one here really has any expertise with this platform so any help will be appreciated. I * think* the device is sd(apsc(pci(1),B,0,7),5,0), however I'm not sure at all. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: madesjardins
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting help.

Hello, I am trying to mount a second scsi hard drive on a SCO box. (5.0.5.) And I can't figure out what the device file for it is so I can mount it. Can anyone help me? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iconn
1 Replies

5. BSD

Mounting

Hi I mounted disk which have two partition C: , D: ( i am not sure if both partition have same file system) with this commad: mount -t msdosfs /dev/ad2s1 /mnt/windows but this is mounted only first partition with fat file system. ( in windows XP C: ) How can i mount another partition... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sniper007
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting fs ext3

I'm trying to find a correct command that will mount a filesystem ext3 the device /dev/sda1 to mount point /mnt/usb but not allow any programs to run from it. I want to be honest as I've read the forum rules... This is a homework question BUT, i'm generally interested in the correct process and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CasperQuiet
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with mounting my USB

My previous post seems to be erased and I didn't get any help. I'm logged as root now but no mounting command seems to work, I've tried: Mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /mnt/USB Changing "sdc1" for hda1-7, and sdc1-7, and still nothing. Sometimes i get: "special device not found" and others "device... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dax01
4 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

mounting

I generally use mount many times to mount an iso image or as a bind between directories or mounting a squash file system. Y does one require root permission to do a mount --bind between two of his own directories or just mount an iso/squash image in directory he owns? Also I wish mount had an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbala
0 Replies

9. HP-UX

Mounting LUN on HP 11.31

Hello, I want monting a LUN on a RX2660 I have created a LUN of 100Go with HP StorageWorks EVA and associated to my server. For the moment I see it with the command below but after i can't used it # ioscan -fnkC disk Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: letters
10 Replies
SYSTEMD-FSTAB-GENERATOR(8)				      systemd-fstab-generator					SYSTEMD-FSTAB-GENERATOR(8)

NAME
systemd-fstab-generator - Unit generator for /etc/fstab SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-fstab-generator DESCRIPTION
systemd-fstab-generator is a generator that translates /etc/fstab (see fstab(5) for details) into native systemd units early at boot and when configuration of the system manager is reloaded. This will instantiate mount and swap units as necessary. The <term>passno</term> field is treated like a simlpe boolean, and the ordering information is discarded. However, the root filesystem is checked before all the other filesystems. See systemd.mount(5) and systemd.swap(5) for more information about special /etc/fstab mount options this generator understands. systemd-fstab-generator implements the generator specification[1]. KERNEL COMMAND LINE
systemd-fstab-generator understands the following kernel command line parameters: fstab=, rd.fstab= Takes a boolean argument. Defaults to "yes". If "no", causes the generator to ignore any mounts or swaps configured in /etc/fstab. rd.fstab= is honored only by initial RAM disk (initrd) while fstab= is honored by both the main system and the initrd. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), fstab(5), systemd.mount(5), systemd.swap(5), systemd-cryptsetup-generator(8) NOTES
1. generator specification http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Generators systemd 208 SYSTEMD-FSTAB-GENERATOR(8)