Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk print variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk print variable Post 302520415 by ahamed101 on Saturday 7th of May 2011 02:44:04 AM
Old 05-07-2011
Try this

Code:
#!/bin/ksh

j=1
for i in *.pdf; do
prefix=$( echo $i | cut -f1 -d"." ); suffix=$( echo $i | cut -f2 -d"." )
newfile=$prefix"-"$( awk -F. -v j=$j 'NR==j {print $1}' file1 )"."$suffix
mv $i $newfile; ((j=j+1))
done

regards,
Ahamed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

print variable in awk

i read the variable ph from file and i wanna to print it in awk. example ph=`cat tmpbatch` tail h.txt|grep "| |"|awk -F"|" '{ print "@unpdx.sql",$5 }'"$ph" i try this but it does not work (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kazanoova2
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

can awk print column using a variable ??

i want to print the column file using awk or cut in dynamic manner like trmp=2;temp1=1;temp3=2 awk 'BEGIN{OFS=IFS="\t"} {print $temp,$temp1,$temp3}' client_data.txt or cut -f $temp1,$temp2,$temp3 -d"\t" file_name . but it is showing error , In awk can i use variable as in printing... (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
36 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable inside awk '{print $c}'

i'm trying to do this (in bash darwin); echo "give me some words: " read a c=2 # this is get by other ways echo $a | awk '{print $c}' # i want to print the column given # by de $c variable if there is someone understand what i pretend... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tártaro
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print variable in file using awk

hi, i have store variable in $var i want to print it in $3 of file using awk. how can i do it? file : var1,var2,var3 var5,var6,var7 var8,var9,var10 . . . i want to print $var in $3 ( for example var3 or var7 or var10) thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamel.seg
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print a value in the variable using awk ?

:b:Hi All, I have a part of a script below: var1="value1" awk 'BEGIN {printf("%36s \n ","value1")}' Instead of directly giving the "value1" , I need to give using "var1" in the above awk statement. Is this possible? If so, what is the modified awk command? Thanks in advance JS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jisha
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print redirection to variable file name

Hello, i need to redirect the output of print to a variable file name: #This is normal awk '{ print $17 > "output.txt" }' input #I need something like this awk '{ print $17 > "output_${25}.txt" }' input how to format the output file name to contain a variable? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nazeeb
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print using a variable

hey, just want to ask how to do this. ex. g="hi i am john" h=`echo $g | awk '{print $2}'` echo $h OUTPUT is 'i' What if I want to use a variable instead of using '2', how do I do that? Because this one does not work: a=2 h=`echo $g | awk '{print ${$a}}'` this one also does not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print variable then fields in variable

i have this variable: varT="1--2--3--5" i want to use awk to print field 3 from this variable. i dont want to do the "echo $varT". but here's my awk code: awk -v valA="$varT" "BEGIN {print valA}" this prints the entire line. i feel like i'm so close to getting what i want. i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable won't print out - awk

done. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: myaa02
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print columns and variable

Hi, Can anyone help with the below please? I have written some code which takes an input file, and and prints the contents out to a new file - it then loops round and prints the same columns, but increments the ID column by 1 each time. Input file; NAME,1,15-Dec-15, NAME,1,21-Dec-15,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ads89
9 Replies
CUT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - select out columns of a file SYNOPSIS
cut [ -b | -c] list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [ -s] OPTIONS
-b Cut specified bytes -c Select out specific characters -d Change the column delimiter to delim -f Select out specific fields that are separated by the -i Runs of delimiters count as one -s Suppres lines with no delimiter characters, when used EXAMPLES
cut -f 2 file # Extract field 2 cut -c 1-2,5 file # Extract character columns 1, 2, and 5 cut -c 1-5,7- file # Extract all columns except 6 DESCRIPTION
[file...]" delimiter character ( see delim)" with the -f option. Lines with no delimiters are passwd through untouched" Cut extracts one or more fields or columns from a file and writes them on standard output. If the -f flag is used, the fields are sepa- rated by a delimiter character, normally a tab, but can be changed using the -d flag. If the -c flag is used, specific columns can be specified. The list can be comma or BLANK separated. The -f and -c flags are mutually exclusive. Note: The POSIX1003.2 standard requires the option -b to cut out specific bytes in a file. It is intended for systems with multi byte characters (e.g. kanji), since MINIX uses only one byte characters, this option is equivalent to -c. For the same reason, the option -n has no effect and is not listed in this man- ual page. SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(9). CUT(1)