Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Is Kernel module is the same as a device driver? Post 302520242 by newlinuxuser1 on Friday 6th of May 2011 08:13:17 AM
Old 05-06-2011
Corona688,

Thanks for the useful info. I'm researching my system' drivers now. It is interesting!
When I mentioned Windows, I had in mind a different chain Smilie. In Windows from device manager you can clearly identify all hardware and follow the chain to a driver, its resources etc. Apparently Windows uses a different design. The point is, that in windows it's all very visual, so it is easy to follow, even if its internal design is flowed. It is amazing how much I learned about system at this point!

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel and Device Driver Programming

I am looking for a guide on how to program for either the Linux or FreeBSD (includes 4.4BSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD) kernel. I would prefer to learn how to write device drivers, but anything would help. If you know, please email me at *removed* or leave a post here Regards, Farhan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farhan
0 Replies

2. Solaris

SUNWglmr -- rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c or SCSI device driver ?

I've been researching minimizeing Solaris 8 and found that on the web page http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/packagelist/s8u7PkgList/p2.html the package SUNWglmr is listed as "rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c, (Root) (32-bit)" while in the document "Solaris 8 minimize-updt1.pdf"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roygoodwin
1 Replies

3. Linux

Linux Device Driver: avoid mem copy from/to user/kernel space

I recently started working with Linux and wrote my first device driver for a hardware chip controlled by a host CPU running Linux 2.6.x kernel. 1. The user space process makes an IOCTL call with pointer to a user memory buffer. 2. The kernel device driver in the big switch-case of IOCTL,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agaurav
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Get pointer for existing device class (struct class) in Linux kernel module

Hi all! I am trying to register a device in an existing device class, but I am having trouble getting the pointer to an existing class. I can create a class in a module, get the pointer to it and then use it to register the device with: *cl = class_create(THIS_MODULE, className);... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdaniel@ualg.pt
0 Replies
DateTime::TimeZone::Local::Win32(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		       DateTime::TimeZone::Local::Win32(3)

NAME
DateTime::TimeZone::Local::Win32 - Determine the local system's time zone on Windows VERSION
version 1.51 SYNOPSIS
my $tz = DateTime::TimeZone->new( name => 'local' ); my $tz = DateTime::TimeZone::Local->TimeZone(); DESCRIPTION
This module provides methods for determining the local time zone on a Windows platform. HOW THE TIME ZONE IS DETERMINED
This class tries the following methods of determining the local time zone: o $ENV{TZ} It checks $ENV{TZ} for a valid time zone name. o Windows Registry When using the registry, we look for the Windows time zone and use a mapping to translate this to an Olson time zone name. o Windows Vista and 2008 We look in "SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/TimeZoneInformation/" for a node named "/TimeZoneKeyName". If this exists, we use this key to look up the Olson time zone name in our mapping. o Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server We look in "SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Time Zones/" and loop through all of its sub keys. For each sub key, we compare the value of the key with "/Std" appended to the end to the value of "SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/TimeZoneInformation/StandardName". This gives us the English name of the Windows time zone, which we use to look up the Olson time zone name. o Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millenium Edition The algorithm is the same as for NT, but we loop through the sub keys of "SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Time Zones/" AUTHOR
Dave Rolsky <autarch@urth.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2012 by Dave Rolsky. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-17 DateTime::TimeZone::Local::Win32(3)