Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Does my provider limit my internet access or somesites access? Post 302520137 by frank_rizzo on Friday 6th of May 2011 12:28:25 AM
Old 05-06-2011
sounds like you need to call your ISP to verify.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

internet access

I've configured my TCP/IP to have the right protocols to access the internet such as TPC/IP, subnet mask, gateway and dns server but still Im not able to ping anything to the internet. Anybody who has some few good words for me? I need help. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nseal101
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Internet access

Hi everybody, I'd like create a connection (by modem) for my unix workstation. I just have the RS232 port and my modem, no lan connection, and I want to surf the net. How can I setup it? Thanks in advance, Mauro (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mauro
1 Replies

3. SCO

internet access

My SCO box has lost connection to the internet. It sites behind a fire wall and is connected to a local network. What should I check for. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fruiz
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Cannot access internet

Hi Friends,:b: This is venkatesh, i have Intel Dual core PC and installed Solaris 10. I have a problem that i cannot access internet in my PC i don't know either the drivers installed or not. I manually assign ip 192.168.1.7 and if i ping to this it is alive and if i ping for 192.168.1.1 for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1409.venkatesh
4 Replies

5. Solaris

cannot access to internet , help

hi experts i have a sun Enterprise 220 R server with solaris 10 and patches , i configured network card with ip addresses that have access to Internet but i can't be connected :confused: for same informations : root@E220R # ifconfig -a lo0:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lid-j-one
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can not access internet?

Hi everybody. I've setup SunSolaris 10 on VirtualBox, but when I start Sun, I can connect to the Internet, when I open terminal and type command for list device ethernet: #ifconfig -a just only see loopback lo0 Can help me solve this problem? Thank you very much, ken (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenjingo
0 Replies

7. AIX

Limit user access

We have gotten an application that will read and display logs in a report format. The application need a user name and password to access the AIX servers where the logs reside. My problem is the logs are in a few different file systems on the server. Is there any way to lock the user to only the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

pnp4nagios limit access

I have nagios contacts set up, and these successfully limit access to view hosts and services in the nagios web UI. But pnp4nagios gives access to all graphs (by editing the hostname and service name in the URL) - it does not respect the nagios-defined access controls. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.zuhd
0 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Limit simultaneous file access

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: So my problem is: 4990 of 5000 users should be able to access a file. How can this be accomplished. 2.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: protiss
1 Replies

10. Cybersecurity

Limit access in Ubuntu

can we use semantec or any kind of software in ubuntu/linux to limit access of a user to edit a specific file? example::: a. will not play media player or use usb. we will edit blacklist.conf to do this. however user should still be able to do apt-get install, shutdown, edit other files etc.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies
NETWORKS(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						       NETWORKS(5)

NAME
networks -- Internet Protocol network name data base DESCRIPTION
The networks file is used as a local source to translate between Internet Protocol (IP) network addresses and network names (and vice versa). It can be used in conjunction with the DNS, as controlled by nsswitch.conf(5). While the networks file was originally intended to be an exhaustive list of all IP networks that the local host could communicate with, dis- tribution and update of such a list for the world-wide Internet (or, indeed, for any large "enterprise" network) has proven to be prohibi- tive, so the Domain Name System (DNS) is used instead, except as noted. For each IP network a single line should be present with the following information: name network [alias ...] These are: name Official network name network IP network number alias Network alias Items are separated by any number of blanks and/or tab characters. A ``#'' indicates the beginning of a comment; characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by routines which search the file. Network number may be specified in the conventional dot (``.'') notation using the inet_network(3) routine from the IP address manipulation library, inet(3). Network names may contain "a" through "z", zero through nine, and dash. IP network numbers on the Internet are generally assigned to a site by its Internet Service Provider (ISP), who, in turn, get network address space assigned to them by one of the regional Internet Registries (e.g. ARIN, RIPE NCC, APNIC). These registries, in turn, answer to the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA). If a site changes its ISP from one to another, it will generally be required to change all its assigned IP addresses as part of the conver- sion; that is, return the previous network numbers to the previous ISP, and assign addresses to its hosts from IP network address space given by the new ISP. Thus, it is best for a savvy network manager to configure his hosts for easy renumbering, to preserve his ability to easily change his ISP should the need arise. FILES
/etc/networks The networks file resides in /etc. SEE ALSO
getnetent(3), nsswitch.conf(5), resolv.conf(5), hostname(7), dhclient(8), dhcpd(8), named(8) Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation, RFC 2317, March 1998. Address Allocation for Private Internets, RFC 1918, February 1996. Network 10 Considered Harmful, RFC 1627, July 1994. Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR): an Address Assignment and Aggregation Strategy, RFC 1519, September 1993. DNS Encoding of Network Names and Other Types, RFC 1101, April 1989. HISTORY
The networks file format appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
November 17, 2000 BSD