Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed or awk - removing part of line? Post 302520056 by alis on Thursday 5th of May 2011 04:50:00 PM
Old 05-05-2011
This works except that the column with the area code is $3 not $2 so when I substituted $2 for $3 - the command works !!
Trying to understand this tho...I know $3=substr means substitution in column 3 but where did the 5 come from? please explain?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing parts of a line with SED

hi, i'm trying to erase all the characters after, and including, the first test test Output: test1 test2 test3 this is what I tried, but didn't work sed "s/*//" file > testfilename any suggestions? thanks, gammmaman (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gammaman
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing a line containing a pattern in sed

i need to use sed to remove an entire line containing a pattern stored in a variable say $var1 this var1 will be a URL and will therefore contain slashes any help would be greatly appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fire_Storm
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting sed to work on part of a line

I been trying to get this right. I have trying to get rid of spaces in between the character < and the character >. Everytime I try, sed gets too greedy and do the whole line. Ex. < T AG 1> Hello, how are you doing? <Tag 2> I am doing fine. I want this: <TAG1> Hello, how are you... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: quixoticking11
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace part of a line with sed/awk

Hello I have a document and in this document I have several occurrence of "VAR == xxxxxxx" and xxxxx can be anything. I don't know what it is. I want to replace the 'xxxxx's with something I know. What I know however, is the line numbers of the VAR =='s in the file. How can I replace... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alirezan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed question (Removing a line of text)

I am working with bash on HP-UX server at school. As practice for scripting, I am trying to make a pretend server admin script that adds a user to the system, deletes a user from the system, and lists all users of the pretend system. I have accomplished this with a select loop. Adding users, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterscout1977
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

change part of a line with sed

Hi gurus, I'd like to change this complete line on a file: BAN_COMMAND="/etc/apf/apf -d $ATTACK_HOST {bfd.$MOD}" to this one: BAN_COMMAND="/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s $ATTACK_HOST -j DROP" I've tried a lot without any successful . :( thanks in advance Israel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Sed to remove part of line with regex

Greetings everyone. Right now I am working on a script to be used during automated deployment of servers. What I have to do is remove localhost.localdomain and localhost6.localdomain6 from the /etc/hosts file. Simple, right? Except most of the examples I've found using sed want to delete the entire... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing end of line using SED

Hello Friends, How can I remove the last two values of this line using sed John Carey:507-699-5368:29 Albert way, Edmonton, AL 25638:9/3/90:45900 The result should look like this: John Carey:507-699-5368:29 Albert way, Edmonton, AL 25638 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: humkhn
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed removing until end of line

All: Can somebody help me out with a sed command, which removes the the first occurance of ')' until the end of the line If I have the following input ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command for picking a part of line

Hello Friends I want to use sed command to pick a part of line. FOr example I only need the /home_put1/bidds/myfo part of following line fish://ulavet@rits1.ula.com.tr/home_put1/bidds/myfo How can I do this bu using sed command ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
2 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- | fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command | substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even | when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. | If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- | tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- | tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for | that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is | returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. | In this way, all exceptional return codes are ``caught'' by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete | successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns ``xyz {44}'', not ``xyz {$a}'' and the script | set a "p} q {r" | subst {xyz {$a}} | return ``xyz {p} q {r}'', not ``xyz {p} q {r}''. | When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. | set a 44 | subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} | returns ``$a 44'', not ``$a $a''. Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to | retrieve the value of the variable. | proc b {} {return c} | array set a {c c [b] tricky} | subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} | returns ``[b] c'', not ``[b] tricky''. | The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest | of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script | subst {abc,[break],def} | returns ``abc,'', not ``abc,,def'' and the script | subst {abc,[continue;expr 1+2],def} | returns ``abc,,def'', not ``abc,3,def''. | Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value | subst {abc,[return foo;expr 1+2],def} | returns ``abc,foo,def'', not ``abc,3,def'' and | subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr 1+2],def} | also returns ``abc,foo,def'', not ``abc,3,def''. SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)