Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions a part of replacer MUST use SED Post 302520008 by DGPickett on Thursday 5th of May 2011 03:04:48 PM
Old 05-05-2011
Can you give a plain language pseudo code definition of what changes, file1 to file2 and file2 to file3?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a part of string

Hi, I have files that are named front1.txt to front999.txt. They are all in the same directory. To change "front" to "back", I am doing something like this. for file in *.txt; do new=`echo $file | sed 's/^**/back/g'` mv $file $new done My problem is what if files are named... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csejl
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed with xml files part 2

I'm trying to replace a date in an XML file that has the format mm/dd/yyyy. I'm using the Unix date function to set up a variable with the current date but, when I try to replace the value in the XML file, the error message says it cannot be parsed. Here is the command I'm using ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stonemonolith
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting sed to work on part of a line

I been trying to get this right. I have trying to get rid of spaces in between the character < and the character >. Everytime I try, sed gets too greedy and do the whole line. Ex. < T AG 1> Hello, how are you doing? <Tag 2> I am doing fine. I want this: <TAG1> Hello, how are you... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: quixoticking11
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remembering part of pattern using \1 concept

I am using this concept to fetch value of IP address after node= in this line of csv text: a="Measurement:,OutInviteResponseTime,Sessionid=1860700092328051458,node=67.178.40.168,nodeName=abcd,protocol=GK,25523000" echo $a | sed 's/.*node=\(.*\).*/\1/' But this outputs: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianjassi
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

change part of a line with sed

Hi gurus, I'd like to change this complete line on a file: BAN_COMMAND="/etc/apf/apf -d $ATTACK_HOST {bfd.$MOD}" to this one: BAN_COMMAND="/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s $ATTACK_HOST -j DROP" I've tried a lot without any successful . :( thanks in advance Israel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing part of a pattern in sed

Hi I have a piece of xml that has a pattern like this <int>159</int><int>30</int> I want to find this pattern but only substitute the second part of the pattern to {rid1}. Is that possible in sed ? Thanks. ---------- Post updated at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:01 PM... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnn
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed or awk - removing part of line?

hi all, I am having trouble finding the right string for this - I dont know whether to use awk or sed.. If I have a file with alot of names and phone numbers like this McGowan,Sean 978-934-4000 Kilcoyne,Kathleen 603-555-1212 Club603,The 617-505-1332 Boyle,William 301-444-1221 And... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: alis
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command for picking a part of line

Hello Friends I want to use sed command to pick a part of line. FOr example I only need the /home_put1/bidds/myfo part of following line fish://ulavet@rits1.ula.com.tr/home_put1/bidds/myfo How can I do this bu using sed command ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - replace only on part of the string

Hello there, I need some help. I have a file containing this : $ cat file PARM1=(VAL11),PARM2=(VAL21,VAL22,VAL23),PARM3=(VAL31),PARM4=(VAL41,VAL42) and I need to replace all the ',' by '|' but only those which are between brackets. Output would be :... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sephiburp
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract part of string using sed

Hi, I have the following string and I need to extract the date from it: TextHere,2012/07/11,1 I tried using sed: sed -n 's#^.*\({4}/{2}/{2}\).*$#\1#p' But it doesn't return anything. The following line doesn't even return '2012': sed -n 's/^.*\({4}\).*$/\1/p' I used to use grep -o... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
6 Replies
DIFF3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
diff3 [ -ex3 ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
Diff3 compares three versions of a file, and publishes disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: ==== all three files differ ====1 file1 is different ====2 file2 is different ====3 file3 is different The type of change suffered in converting a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: f : n1 a Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3. f : n1 , n2 c Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2. If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. Under the -e option, diff3 publishes a script for the editor ed that will incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3, i.e. the changes that normally would be flagged ==== and ====3. Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3). The following command will apply the resulting script to `file1'. (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1 FILES
/tmp/d3????? /usr/lib/diff3 SEE ALSO
diff(1) BUGS
Text lines that consist of a single `.' will defeat -e. Files longer than 64K bytes won't work. DIFF3(1)