Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers finding and moving files based on the last three numerical characters in the filename Post 302519783 by ctsgnb on Thursday 5th of May 2011 04:21:51 AM
Old 05-05-2011
For a one shot move, the find is nice.

Now, if your range change frequently, i may become tedious to re-tweak the pattern matching with expression like those you used (and this also may lead to error or if some case of matching are forgotten).
The code i proposed is easier to adapt if the ranges are frequently changing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files by splitting the path embedded in the filename

Hello All. I am having a directory /tmp/rahul which contains many files in the format @#home@#rahul@#programs@#script.pl where /home/rahul/programs is the directory where the script.pl file is to be placed. I have many files in this format. What i want is a script which read these... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files with spaces in filename from one directory to another

Hello, When I run following script #!/bin/bash cd ~/directory1 mv `ls -trF | grep -v / | tail -10 ` ~/directory2 works fine with filenames not having any space but runs into issues with filenames that have spaces tried with $file variable still doesnot work. Can someone help me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asakhare
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files out of multiple directories and renaming them in numerical order

Hi, I have 500 directories each with multiple data files inside them. The names are sort of random. For example, one directory has files named e_1.dat, e_5.dat, e_8.dat, etc. I need to move the files to a single directory and rename them all in numerical order, from 1.dat to 1000(or some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: renthead720
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files with filename format

hi all, i'm trying to find out how to show files having a particular format. i.e. files o570345.out o5703451.out XX_570345_1.RTF so when i search for files using ls *570345* it shows all three files but actually i don't like to see the second file o5703451.out because 5703451 is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving/copying files in a numerical order

Hi I am newbie to unix scripting, but i have enough knowledge to understand. I have a specific questions like, I use to collect like 3500 files per experiment, each one named like data_001.img.. data_002.img data_003.img .... data_3500.img I would like to move every 12 files in the 3500... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wpat
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding File Names Ending In 3 Random Numerical Characters

Hi, I have a series of files (upwards of 500) the filename format is as follows CC10-1234P1999.WGS84.p190 each of this files is in a directory named for the file but excluding the extension. Now the last three numeric characters, in this case 999, can be anything from 001 to 999, I need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roche.j.mike
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding files with one row then moving them

Hi guys can you please help me with a script to find files with one row the move the file to another directory the files are in /optima/prd/optdir/ZTE_BSS/Combiner/ZTE_2G/out/BSC_PS_Basic_Meas and I want to move them to /optima/prd/optdir/ZTE_BSS/Loader/error/ZTE_2G/BSC_PS_Basic_Meas ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dj Moi
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files with wc -l results = 1 then moving the files to another folder

Hi guys can you please help me with a script to find files with one row/1 line of content then move the file to another directory my script below runs but nothing happens to the files....Alternatively Ca I get a script to find the *.csv files with "wc -1" results = 1 then create a list of those... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dj Moi
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding filename based on filecontent

Hi, I have been trying , to find the filename based on some pattern present inside the file My command is as follows: filename=`grep -l 'Pattern' path/*.txt ` Its strange that it works some times, but doesn't print anything some times . But my if test -f $filename is passing all the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prashanth19
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files with newlines in filename

I want to use grep to find files that have newlines in the filename. For example, I have a directory where I create three files: $ touch file1 $ touch "file 2" $ touch "file > with > newlines" $ find . ./file 2 ./file1 ./file?with?newlinesI now want to pipe the find output into grep and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralph
4 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 9.20120909 2012-05-19 DH_MOVEFILES(1)