Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search a string in a huge file Post 302519586 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 4th of May 2011 10:24:34 AM
Old 05-04-2011
Do you mean record size? 2048 bytes is the limit for a record in a lot of UNIX utilities.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search and grab data from a huge file

folks, In my working directory, there a multiple large files which only contain one line in the file. The line is too long to use "grep", so any help? For example, if I want to find if these files contain a string like "93849", what command I should use? Also, there is oder_id number... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ting123
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending string to text file based on search string

Hi, I need to append string "Hi" to the beginning of the lines containing some specific string. How can I achieve that? Please help. Malay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search string in a file and retrieve 10 lines including string line

Hi Guys, I am trying to write a perl script to search a string "Name" in the file "FILE" and also want to create a new file and push the searched string Name line along with 10 lines following the same. can anyone of you please let me know how to go about it ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukrish
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimised way for search & replace a value on one line in a very huge file (File Size is 24 GB).

Hi Experts, I had to edit (a particular value) in header line of a very huge file so for that i wanted to search & replace a particular value on a file which was of 24 GB in Size. I managed to do it but it took long time to complete. Can anyone please tell me how can we do it in a optimised... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishkomar007
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

string replace in huge file

I need to parse a huge file... with some strings like this: <li class="website-feature"><a href="http://some.changingurl.com" ..(some changing classes)..> I need to change the above to: <li class="website-feature">http://some.changingurl.com<a href="http://some.changingurl.com" ..(some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtdt
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the particular position of a line

I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB and add/replace... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the end of line

Dear All I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a string and display its location on the entire string and make a text file

I want to search a small string in a large string and find the locations of the string. For this I used grep "string" -ob <file name where the large string is stored>. Now this gives me the locations of that string. Now how do I store these locations in a text file. Please use CODE tags as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ANKIT ROY
7 Replies
cdb(5)								File Formats Manual							    cdb(5)

NAME
cdb - Constant DataBase file format DESCRIPTION
A cdb database is a single file used to map `keys' to `values', having records of (key,value) pairs. File consists of 3 parts: toc (table of contents), data and index (hash tables). Toc has fixed length of 2048 bytes, containing 256 pointers to hash tables inside index sections. Every pointer consists of position of a hash table in bytes from the beginning of a file, and a size of a hash table in entries, both are 4-bytes (32 bits) unsigned integers in little-endian form. Hash table length may have zero length, meaning that corresponding hash table is empty. Right after toc section, data section follows without any alingment. It consists of series of records, each is a key length, value (data) length, key and value. Again, key and value length are 4-byte unsigned integers. Each next record follows previous without any special alignment. After data section, index (hash tables) section follows. It should be looked to in conjunction with toc section, where each of max 256 hash tables are defined. Index section consists of series of hash tables, with starting position and length defined in toc section. Every hash table is a sequence of records each holds two numbers: key's hash value and record position inside data section (bytes from the begin- ning of a file to first byte of key length starting data record). If record position is zero, then this is an empty hash table slot, pointed to nowhere. CDB hash function is hv = ((hv << 5) + hv) ^ c for every single c byte of a key, starting with hv = 5381. Toc section indexed by (hv % 256), i.e. hash value modulo 256 (number of entries in toc section). In order to find a record, one should: first, compute the hash value (hv) of a key. Second, look to hash table number hv modulo 256. If it is empty, then there is no such key exists. If it is not empty, then third, loop by slots inside that hash table, starting from slot with number hv divided by 256 modulo length of that table, or ((hv / 256) % htlen), searching for this hv in hash table. Stop search on empty slot (if record position is zero) or when all slots was probed (note cyclic search, jumping from end to beginning of a table). When hash value in question is found in hash table, look to key of corresponding record, comparing it with key in question. If them of the same length and equals to each other, then record is found, overwise, repeat with next hash table slot. Note that there may be several records with the same key. SEE ALSO
cdb(1), cdb(3). AUTHOR
The tinycdb package written by Michael Tokarev <mjt@corpit.ru>, based on ideas and shares file format with original cdb library by Dan Bernstein. LICENSE
Public domain. Apr, 2005 cdb(5)