Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Is Kernel module is the same as a device driver? Post 302519210 by newlinuxuser1 on Tuesday 3rd of May 2011 10:40:49 AM
Old 05-03-2011
Corona688, thanks for the clarification. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Below are my assumptions:

user process->kernel->major device number(the driver)->minor device number->device

Let say I have device X and I want to know what driver(s) it uses (because it makes problems, or just out of curiosity). So how can it be done? It is really easy in Windows.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel and Device Driver Programming

I am looking for a guide on how to program for either the Linux or FreeBSD (includes 4.4BSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD) kernel. I would prefer to learn how to write device drivers, but anything would help. If you know, please email me at *removed* or leave a post here Regards, Farhan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farhan
0 Replies

2. Solaris

SUNWglmr -- rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c or SCSI device driver ?

I've been researching minimizeing Solaris 8 and found that on the web page http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/packagelist/s8u7PkgList/p2.html the package SUNWglmr is listed as "rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c, (Root) (32-bit)" while in the document "Solaris 8 minimize-updt1.pdf"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roygoodwin
1 Replies

3. Linux

Linux Device Driver: avoid mem copy from/to user/kernel space

I recently started working with Linux and wrote my first device driver for a hardware chip controlled by a host CPU running Linux 2.6.x kernel. 1. The user space process makes an IOCTL call with pointer to a user memory buffer. 2. The kernel device driver in the big switch-case of IOCTL,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agaurav
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Get pointer for existing device class (struct class) in Linux kernel module

Hi all! I am trying to register a device in an existing device class, but I am having trouble getting the pointer to an existing class. I can create a class in a module, get the pointer to it and then use it to register the device with: *cl = class_create(THIS_MODULE, className);... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdaniel@ualg.pt
0 Replies
SBP_TARG(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 					       SBP_TARG(4)

NAME
sbp_targ -- Serial Bus Protocol 2 (SBP-2) Target Mode devices driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device sbp_targ device firewire device scbus device targ Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following lines in loader.conf(5): firewire_load="YES" cam_load="YES" sbp_targ_load"YES" DESCRIPTION
The sbp_targ driver provides support for SBP-2 target mode. This driver is supposed to work with cam(4), targ(4) and firewire(4). You also need to use scsi_target(8), which can be found in /usr/share/examples/scsi_target, to provide actual devices. EXAMPLES
# mdconfig -a -t malloc -s 10m md0 # scsi_target 0:0:0 /dev/md0 (Assuming sbp_targ0 on scbus0) SEE ALSO
cam(4), firewire(4), targ(4), camcontrol(8), fwcontrol(8), kldload(8), scsi_target(8) AUTHORS
The sbp_targ driver was written by Hidetoshi Shimokawa. BUGS
This driver is currently under development. It does not work correctly in multi-initiator environments or after the bus topology has been changed. BSD
November 7, 2003 BSD