Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Why older administrators prefer sendmail ? Post 302519207 by bakunin on Tuesday 3rd of May 2011 10:36:47 AM
Old 05-03-2011
I think Coronas opinion has some truth to it and I'd like to expand on that:

The UNIX philosophy is indeed to have every tool do one thing and be good at it. To quote from my favourite RFC (1925):

Quote:
(5) It is always possible to aglutenate multiple separate problems into a single complex interdependent solution. In most cases this is a bad idea.
It might be good to have the calendar and the mail integrated, but the downside is that Exchange can't be brought to work as a real MTA. There are so many inaccuracies in the implementation that the only client it really works with is Outlook. I don't think that anybody in his own mind wants to use Outlook as a mail client. Outlook will outright refuse to show you the email address of a local recipient (it will - whatever you do - change "john.doe@yourcompany.com" to "Doe, John"), it cannot be brought to format replies correctly, it will send mails HTML- (or even worse) formatted instead of in ASCII even if you configure it not to do so, and so on and so on.

In my current project i am forced to use Outlook 2007 (means extra punishment: this damn "Fluent" GUI can't be deactivated and the look and feel of the OS and the application is forced to be inconsistent) and after 2 days trying to configure this thing to work like a mail client is supposed to work i simply gave up, write my mails with vi and a bunch of vi macros and copy/paste the results to/from the Outlook window. Sorry, but this is not "user friendly", this is inacceptable.

The LDAP implementation is also quite buggy: we set up OpenLDAP as general authorization tool across the the "open systems" (that means AIX, a few HP-Ux- and SunOS-boxes and [CentOS-]Linux here) and my colleague wanted to connect the Exchange Server too: no chance, somehow it's LDAP, but not quite - this is, sad to say, often the case with MS products. They claim to implement a standard but implement it in a way that only their own products understand it.

bakunin

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Administrators Schooling

Hi, I was wondering how everyone has gotten good their training in unix. Did anyone specialize in college/university or take a course at a computer institute. At my college you can't really sepcialize in unix, there is only 2 courses. The first unix course is all about shell programming and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Astudent
1 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Question to Forum Administrators ?

How can i track all my previous, current posts at one single place. How to do that ? Thanks in Advance !!1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why most of the people prefer linux nowadays y not solaris?

Hi, Anyone plz explain me, Now most of the people prefering linux over solaris. what are the main advantages in linux over solaris. Thanks muthulingaraja (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muthulingaraja
3 Replies

4. AIX

Create Administrators

I think I've done all that is necessary to configure an account to administer a non-administrative group, but it doesn't work. One thing is strang is that when I log in as root, the group attributes in SMIT are like this: Group NAME Group ID ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laurin1
3 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Do you prefer Quickbooks, Microsoft or another small business accounting software?

I am starting a small business. I need software to invoice and track payments, track income and expense and basically keep everything organized for tax time. I've read positive and negative on all small business accounting software, so now I'm really confused. Oh, my business is a service one, so I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunybck
3 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

How do you prefer to read books?

Time for a new poll. Just wondering how members in this forum prefer to read books. Paper E-reader Tablet Laptop/Desktop Smartphone Audiobook Not much of a reader Other A poll is added. If you select option: Other, please specify what it is. :b: (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoda
14 Replies
MAILSTATS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      MAILSTATS(8)

NAME
mailstats - display mail statistics SYNOPSIS
mailstats [-c] [-o] [-p] [-P] [-C cffile] [-f stfile] DESCRIPTION
The mailstats utility displays the current mail statistics. First, the time at which statistics started being kept is displayed, in the format specified by ctime(3). Then, the statistics for each mailer are displayed on a single line, each with the following white space separated fields: M The mailer number. msgsfr Number of messages from the mailer. bytes_from Kbytes from the mailer. msgsto Number of messages to the mailer. bytes_to Kbytes to the mailer. msgsrej Number of messages rejected. msgsdis Number of messages discarded. msgsqur Number of messages quarantined. Mailer The name of the mailer. After this display, a line totaling the values for all of the mailers is displayed (preceded with a ``T''), separated from the previous information by a line containing only equals (``='') characters. Another line preceded with a ``C'' lists the number of TCP connections. The options are as follows: -C Read the specified file instead of the default sendmail configuration file. -c Try to use submit.cf instead of the default sendmail configuration file. -f Read the specified statistics file instead of the statistics file specified in the sendmail configuration file. -P Output information in program-readable mode without clearing statistics. -p Output information in program-readable mode and clear statistics. -o Don't display the name of the mailer in the output. The mailstats utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. FILES
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf The default sendmail configuration file. /var/lib/sendmail/statistics The default sendmail statistics file. /etc/mail/statistics The symbolic link to the statistics file. SEE ALSO
mailq(1), sendmail(8) $Date: 2002/06/27 22:47:29 $ MAILSTATS(8)