Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Opening a terminal with bash
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Opening a terminal with bash Post 302519206 by Corona688 on Tuesday 3rd of May 2011 10:36:31 AM
Old 05-03-2011
Add exec /bin/bash to your ~/.tcshrc, tcsh will load this file and cause it to run a bash shell on login.

If you ever really do need tcsh, you'll have to run tcsh -f to make it bypass these files.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening a file from the terminal

Hi, this is such a simple question (I think), but I don't know the answer, obviously. If I'm using the terminal, and I'm remotely logged on to another computer, and I'm in my directory on that computer, what command would I use to...open a file? For example, a .exe file, or a .txt file...all I want... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Djaunl
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute a bash file in terminal?

How do I execute a bash file in the terminal, after I created one? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hyunkel
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

start a new terminal from a script after opening VPN

Hi all, I am trying to write a script that launch the cisco vpn client from the command line and then connects to a remote host using ssh. When i connect to the cisco vpn using vpnclient client connect the last lines of output from that client is Encryption: 168-bit 3-DES Authentication:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search a file in bash terminal?

Hi all, I am new to unix. Anyone knows how to search a file in bash terminal, please kindly tell me. For example, I want to search file named "myfile" in the entire machine... Thanks a lot:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewust
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run bash script without terminal

How can I make a bash script that keeps on running after I have closed the terminal? Or a script that runs without having the terminal window open? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with opening/viewing doc file via linux terminal

I am currently trying to open a .doc file in my workstation via terminal. This is my code: root@ojt:/home/ojt/Desktop# cat arts_life.doc and it gave me a bunch of unknown characters together with the contents of the doc file. What I actually want to happen is that it will open the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chams
2 Replies

7. Web Development

Help with opening/viewing doc file via linux terminal

I am currently trying to open a .doc file in my workstation via terminal. This is my code: root@ojt:/home/ojt/Desktop# cat arts_life.doc and it gave me a bunch of unknown characters together with the contents of the doc file. What I actually want to happen is that it will open the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chams
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - hide a terminal cursor

Is it possible to make Linux terminal cursor invisible in bash script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xqwzts
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display-performance in terminal, bash or python?

Heyas I've been working on my project TUI (Text User Interface) for quite some time now, its a hobby project, so nothing i sit in front of 8hrs/day. Since the only 'real' programming language i knw is Visual Basic, based upon early steps with MS-Batch files. When i 'joined' linux 3 years ago,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
7 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Groups are disappearing on opening of new konsole/terminal

Hi when I open a new KDE/terminal all my project groups are disappearing. help is much appreciated. Thanks Sujay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujaybatni
2 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)