Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A query related to 'ls' command Post 302519141 by zaxxon on Tuesday 3rd of May 2011 06:10:01 AM
Old 05-03-2011
It tells you the number of hard links. Here is a nice blog article which describes a bit more in depth:

http://www.giannistsakiris.com/index...inks-on-linux/

Last edited by zaxxon; 05-03-2011 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: added "hard" and an url to a blog entry for links etc.
This User Gave Thanks to zaxxon For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query related to #!/bin/sh

hi All Why is #!/bin/sh being used in most of the ksh scripts......? I have seen this (#!/bin/sh) being used at the start of the script Regards Suresh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed related query

Hi I have a file which looks like this //string = "abcd"; //info //string = "*pqrs"; //add string = "#123"; //sub //string = "#1234567890" data = check(string) //string = "#1234567890" I want to modify this as string = "#987"; //mult data = check(string) How do i do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gopsman
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query related to scp command

Hi Friends, I need to execute a scp command to transfer some files from source to target server. Unfortunately the ftp is not working in my case. This scp command needs to be executed via Unix script. I need to know the complete scp command which includes the user-id and password of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk related query

hi, I have to extract a column from a file and then updated that column..?? Now i can use wak for extracting it and then how to update it.. $ awk' {print $5}' input_file Can i use sed command here piping it to the output from the awk command.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisek.says
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print related query

i Am using the below query and printing the $8 and $9 filed.. find /A/B/C/{1,3,5,7} -name "*.txt" -o -name "*.csv" -o -name "*.TXT" -o -name "*.dat" |xargs ls -ltr |awk '{print $8 ,$9}' > result.xls this give me the rsult like below.. 2008/home/ADMIN/om/1.txt 2008/home/ADMIN/om/hi.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sapan123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

query related to if

wht does below statement mean? if wht does dis -d option do?? TIA. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sainathdeg
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

datetimestamp related query!

Hi all, I have put a query in a thread but didn't get any reply. Hoping to get a reply here. I have a file in that one line resembles like below... Forwarded by Deepak on 11/15/2009 10:28 AM EST ofcourse AM can be PM also... so what i need is first i need to get only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smarty86
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Query related to swap information shown by top command

Hi I have checked the output of top command in which there is a difference shown between the swap of top command for a process with total swap memory usage of the top command. Swap usage of process is higher than the total swap memory usage. top - 18:28:21 up 7:13, 5 users, load... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan2914
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

query related to grep

Hi All, The result for 'grep "cert_codes" /develop/sales/appl.srce/*.4gl' command will be saved at aa.txt grep "cert_codes" /develop/sales/appl.srce/*.4gl >aa.txt But I am not sure, whether, all result stored in .txt file in case of multi-line result. Please revert back if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbankar
2 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Interfaces related query

I need to list the interfaces that uses FTP instead of SFTP on my applications that are on AIX servers. How do I get that list of IP addresses that connect to my applications via FTP? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
2 Replies
CROSSPOST(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      CROSSPOST(8)

NAME
crosspost - create the links for cross posted articles SYNOPSIS
crosspost [ -D dir ] [ -s ] [ file... ] DESCRIPTION
Crosspost reads group and article number data from files or standard input if none are specified. (A single dash in the file list means to read standard input.) It uses this information to create the hard, or symbolic, links for cross posted articles. Crosspost is designed to be used by InterNetNews to create the links as the articles come in. Normally innd creates the links but by having crosspost create the links innd spends less time waiting for disk IO. In this mode one would start innd(8) using the ``-L'' flag. Crosspost expects input in the form: group.name/123 group2.name/456 group3.name/789 with one line per article. Any dots in the input are translated into "/" to translate the news group into a pathname. The first field is assumed to be the name of an existing copy of the article. Crosspost will attempt to link all the subsequent entries to the first using hard links if possible or symbolic links if that fails. By default, crosspost processes its input as an INN channel feed written as a ``WR'' entry in the newsfeeds(5) file, for example: crosspost:*:Tc,Ap,WR:/usr/lib/news/bin/crosspost To process the history file and re-create all the links for all articles use: awk <history -F' ' '(NF > 2){print $3}' | crosspost (where the -F is followed by a tab character.) The ``-D'' flag can be used to specify where the article spool is stored. The default directory is /var/spool/news. By default crosspost will fsync(2) each article after updating the links. The ``-s'' flag can be used to prevent this. HISTORY
Written by Jerry Aguirre <jerry@ATC.Olivetti.Com>. SEE ALSO
newsfeeds(5), innd(8). CROSSPOST(8)