Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with removal of blank spaces in a file Post 302519135 by 116@434 on Tuesday 3rd of May 2011 06:01:29 AM
Old 05-03-2011
Hey, it does not seem to be a problem exactly with your code.

One possible fallout can be that your c<space>c is really a c<tab>c, but while on display it looks like one single space. A <tab> moves the character to next tab stop.
This User Gave Thanks to 116@434 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces from a file?

Guys, I need some help... how can I remove the blank spaces between the lines below? (between the date and the hour fields) 21/05/07 00:05:00 99 21/05/07 00:10:01 99 21/05/07 00:15:00 99 21/05/07 00:20:00 99 21/05/07 00:25:00 99 I want to make the file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfs
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank spaces in a text file...

Hi, I have this problem that there are blank spaces in my text file... i want to remove them line 1 line 2 line 3 I want to remove the space between line 2 and line 3... I tried sed... it work but it prints the whole text file at the command prompt which i dont want.... sde i tried was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya2340
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

selective removal of blank spaces in string

Hi, I'm a newbie to shell scripting and I have the following problem: I need all spaces between two letters or a letter and a number exchanged for an underscore, but all spaces between a letter and other characters need to remain. Searching forums didn't help... One example for clarity: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cpt_Cell
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Blank spaces missing in the file

I have a file which has blank spaces($) and the blank spaces at the end of the file are not coming up while cutting the files.. please find the following file, desired output.. file1: 001_AHaris$$$$$020$$$$$$$$$ 001_ATony$$$$$$030$$$$$$$$$ 002_AChris$$$$$090$$$$$$$$$... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove blank spaces in file

hi i have a file which store some data.the contents of my file is data1:data2 data3:data4 i have a script which read this file correct="$(cat /root/sh | cut -d: -f1)" i used this syntax..please help me which syntax is used to remove blank spaces..then how to read this file.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removal of blank spaces from the second field!

Hi everyone.. I'm trying to eliminate multiple whitespaces from a file.. I must make use of shell script to eliminate whitespaces.. Take a look at the sample file 1 int main() 2 { 3 int a,b; 4 printf("Enter the values of a and b"); 5 scanf("%d%d",&a,&b); 6 if(a>b) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abk07
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove all blank spaces in a file

I have a file which contains data such as that shown below. How do i remove all the blcnak spaces, before, during and at the end of each line in one command? 300015, 58.0823212, 230.424728 300016, 58.2276459, 229.141602 300017, 58.7590027, 226.960846 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlr
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file

Hi Gurus, Somebody can say me how to delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file unix, please. Thank you for advanced. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect blank spaces in a CSV file

I'm monitoring a WLAN network to keep track of new SSIDs popping up. The SSIDs are stored along with the AP MAC address and a few other parameters in a CSV file. A typical line could look like this: 18:70:9f:e3:80:aa 10:11:15 MyNetwork 2437 Now, the problem is that some networks use SSIDs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zooma
4 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)