Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk, double variable, for loop and rsh Post 302519118 by gogol_bordello on Tuesday 3rd of May 2011 04:53:31 AM
Old 05-03-2011
awk, double variable, for loop and rsh

Hello folks,
I've a (perhaps) simple question.

In a text file I've :
Code:
server_name1: directory1
server_name2: directory2
server_name3: directory3
[...]

I want to make a loop that lets me connect and operate on every server:
Code:
rsh server_name1 "ls -l directory1"

I've tried with awk, but does not work (it doesn't export variables):
Code:
for n in `awk -F: {print $1}' text`
do 
   for m in `awk -F: {print $2}' text`
   do
      rsh $n "ls -l /$m"
   done
done

Any idea?

Thanks all
gb

Last edited by pludi; 05-03-2011 at 06:09 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh and for loop

hi I wanted to use the for loop structure in tandem with rsh command and the result to be redirected into a local .lst file within a shell script . Tried the following but does not help :confused: . rsh ABCD "cd /bosp/local/home/linus/;for i in `ls -ltr | grep ^- | awk {'print $9'}` do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbee2005
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh breaking me out of loop

Hey all I have two scripts, one script containing the guts of my code. The other simply loops through a list, calling the other script on each iteration. Problem is when I add the line `/usr/bin/rsh -l root $HOSTNAME ""` to my main script, the loop never seems to exectute any more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mark007
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable to awk while in a shell for loop

I am a newbie to awk and c programming, however am not a unix newbie. However, I do need help with a kshell script I am writing. It is almost complete, the last step is killing me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What I am trying to do is cat a text file that has usernames. Then, using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: synergy_texas
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk in a for loop (getting ksh variable)

Hi, I've tried searching the forums for a case similar to mine but was unsuccessful. This is my first time to use awk so any help would be really appreciated :) I have one file containing data for with the first value in each row being a State Name. I would need to create a separate file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karver
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script / Grep / Awk to variable and Loop

Hi, I have a text file with data in that I wish to extract, assign to a variable and process through a loop. Kind of the process that I am after: 1: Grep the text file for the values. Currently using: cat /root/test.txt | grep TESTING= | awk -F"=" '{ a = $2 } {print a}' | sort -u ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spoonless
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk for inserting a variable containing single and double quotes

Hi i have to insert the below line into a specific line number of another file export MBR_CNT_PRCP_TYPE_CODES_DEL="'01','02','04','05','49','55','UNK'" I have passed the above line to a variable say ins_line. I have used below command to perform the insert awk 'NR==3{print "'"${ins_line}"'"}1'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sathishteradata
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot pass rsh and awk command into a variable

Hello, I'm having some issues getting a home dir from a remote server passed to a variable. Here is what I have so far: rsh server "(ls -ld /home*/user | awk '{print \$9}')" /home3/userThat works fine and brings back what I need. But when I try to add it to a variable it goes all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elcounto
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk programming -Passing variable to awk for loop

Hi All, I am new to AWK programming. I have the following for loop in my awk program. cat printhtml.awk: BEGIN -------- <some code here> END{ ----------<some code here> for(N=0; N<H; N++) { for(M=5; M<D; M++) print "\t" D ""; } ----- } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk: problem for loop through variable

Hi, input: AAA|1 my script (the function is just an example): gawk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="|"} function repeat(str, n, rep, i){ for(i=1; i<=n; i++) rep=rep str return rep } { variable_1=repeat($1,$2) variable_2=repeat($1,$2+1) variable_3=repeat($1,$2+3) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable and awk inside for loop

Thanks all for taking time out and reading this thread and big Thanks to all who have come forward for rescue. Background: I have a variable "nbrofcols" that has number of columns from a data file. Now, using this count in for loop, I am trying to get the maximum length of each column present... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: svks1985
7 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)