Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Simple version control script for text files Post 302519095 by Peasant on Tuesday 3rd of May 2011 03:38:29 AM
Old 05-03-2011
Perhaps you can use something like :
Code:
./script.sh -p file1
./script.sh -p "file1 file2 file3 file4"

Code:
while getopts ":p:" OPTN
do
	case $OPTN in
	p)
            for i in ${OPTARG}
            do
            printf  "working with $i \n"
            done
;;
esac
done

So if you pass "file1 file2 file3 file4", it will iterate and do operations on all 4 files and if you pass only file1 it will do it for for only that one.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Version Control

I am not sure if this is the right forum to post my question on Version Control. Anyway, here it is! I use CVS for source code maintainence in my Solaris box. Is there any command where I can find out in CVS, if any check-in/check-out was done in the last 24 hours? I need a listing of all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepa
3 Replies

2. AIX

Randomly appearing control characters in text files

Hi, From some time, we have noticed that our ascii files have started corrupting due to the presence of some random control characters (^@, ^M, ^H, ^D). The characters appear randomly on any file after the process that creates the file finishes. If we rerun the process, the files re creates... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aakashahuja
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple script detect to find OS version/flavour

Hi, A newbie question. Following script gives no output. =============================== root@srv # cat /etc/redhat-release | awk {'print $1}' Red root@srv # cat 123.sh if (( `cat /etc/redhat-release | awk {'print $1}'` != CentOS )); then { echo "System runs on Redhat Linux. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Maintaining different version Control account

How can I maintain different version control account(any common unix based version control like CVS,RCS,SCCS..) from a single UNIX Login Account. Many programmers share a common UNIX user/login account.How do they maintain separate Version Control Account. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnbach
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script editing text files and running commands

Okay this will probably have multiple parts to it but I don't really want to trouble you guys with more help because I'm a total noob so I can just do the first part by hand (it's just editing a few hundred lines of text in a file; I have to do the same thing on each line and I'm sure there's a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Version Control Through the Shell Script

Version Control Through the Shell Script Hi Guys, Apologize for the big request, please take some time and read it completely... This is Very important for me, and ur help is Very much Appriciated. I want to maintain the Version control to all my scripts running in Production server, I am... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anji
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a File for Version Control

Hi , I have to create a file with 3 columns A,B,C. I have to read the column A,B values from a text pad. Where as Column a contains approximately 10 values and column B has 1 value which is constant. Column C is a version control column ,initially the value would be 1. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Inform123
1 Replies

8. Programming

Version control for audit

Hi.I am running some scripts from a "scripts" directory for my job (I am working in Financial industry).For compliance purposes I need to use a "release" directory when running them using some sort of version control(CVS,SVN or GIT) in case the program is audited.Basically I have to maintain a dev... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rolleikid
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename files based on simple text file

Hello! New here although not completely new to Unix. I wonder how I could rename files based on the data found in a simple textfile. It goes like this: I have 4 files 1 ldfgkkfjslkdfjsldkfjsf.wav 2 nndsdflksdjf.wav 3 sdflksjdf jjsdflsdfl.wav 4 dkadsdddd.wav Textfile.txt looks like... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oortone
14 Replies
deb-old(5)							    dpkg suite								deb-old(5)

NAME
deb-old - old style Debian binary package format SYNOPSIS
filename.deb DESCRIPTION
The .deb format is the Debian binary package file format. This manual page describes the old format, used before Debian 0.93. Please see deb(5) for details of the new format. FORMAT
The file is two lines of format information as ASCII text, followed by two concatenated gzipped ustar files. The first line is the format version number padded to 8 digits, and is 0.939000 for all old-format archives. The second line is a decimal string (without leading zeroes) giving the length of the first gzipped tarfile. Each of these lines is terminated with a single newline character. The first tarfile contains the control information, as a series of ordinary files. The file control must be present, as it contains the core control information. In some very old archives, the files in the control tarfile may optionally be in a DEBIAN subdirectory. In that case, the DEBIAN subdirectory will be in the control tarfile too, and the control tarfile will have only files in that directory. Optionally the control tarfile may contain an entry for '.', that is, the current directory. The second gzipped tarfile is the filesystem archive, containing pathnames relative to the root directory of the system to be installed on. The pathnames do not have leading slashes. SEE ALSO
deb(5), dpkg-deb(1), deb-control(5). 1.19.0.5 2018-04-16 deb-old(5)