Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: get weekday based on date
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting get weekday based on date Post 302518944 by joeyg on Monday 2nd of May 2011 02:52:40 PM
Old 05-02-2011
Is this what you are looking for?

Code:
$ date "+%A"
Monday

$ date "+%a"
Mon

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[kornshell] Getting the next weekday date

Hi All can anyone help me with this, Im new to kornshell scripting and is trying to get the next weekday to a variable: strDate=%date '+%Y%m%d' // YYYYMMDD strNewDate= :confused: // assuming that current date is 20050812 (friday) then strNewDate will get 20050815 (monday) or if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rs_f01
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the weekday of the given date?

Hi All, Thanks in Advance. I want a function/script which returns the weekday of the given date. the input to the function/script is the date with format MM/DD/YYYY, it should return the weekday as 1 for sunday, 2 for monday .......7 for saturday. ex: if the function called like this ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku11
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the oldest date based on date in the filename

I am using ksh93 on Solaris. Ok, this may seem like a simple request at first. I have a directory that contains sets of files with a YYYYMMDD component to the name, along with other files of different filespecs. something like this: 20110501_1.dat 20110501_2.dat 20110501_3.dat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gary_w
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

yesterday's "weekday" date

i've been going through https://www.unix.com/answers-frequently-asked-questions/13785-yesterdays-date-date-arithmetic.html to find a cmd that will print me yesterday's date. I have found one that does it nicely set YEST = `date '+20%y/%m/%d' | awk -F"/" '{print $1$2($3-1)}'` as you can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack.bauer
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[ksh] Weekday a week ago

Hi, Using TZ and date gives an easy way to find out the dates one or more days ago. Now I am in need of knowing the date one week ago. So, now is Thursday and I want to know the date on Thursday a week ago. Unfortunately I can only get as far back as 6 days ago When using TZ+168 it reverts... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Condition based on Timestamp (Date/Time based) from logfile (Epoch seconds)

Below is the sample logfile: Userids Date Time acb Checkout time: 2013-11-20 17:00 axy Checkout time: 2013-11-22 12:00 der Checkout time: 2013-11-17 17:00 xyz Checkout time: 2013-11-19 16:00 ddd Checkout time: 2013-11-21 16:00 aaa Checkout... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy log based on from-date and to-date

Hi all, i go a customer support requirement where i need to scan several files based on from/to date like 1-oct to 2-oct please help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AbhiJ
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to determine Date,TotalFile,total size of file based on date

I have file listed like below -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 17M Nov 26 14:43 test1.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 0 Nov 26 14:44 test2.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 0 Nov 27 10:41 test3.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 244K Nov 27 10:41 test4.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 17M Nov 27 10:41 test5.gz I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krish2014
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find the count of files by last created date based on the given date range

My unix version is IBM AIX Version 6.1 I tried google my requirement and found the below answer, find . -newermt “2012-06-15 08:13" ! -newermt “2012-06-15 18:20" But newer command is not working in AIX version 6.1 unix I have given my requirement below: Input: atr files: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yuvaa27
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

HP/UX command to pull file name/date based on date

HI, Can anyone tell me how to pull the date and file name separated by a space using the find command or any other command. I want to look through several directories and based on a date timeframe (find -mtime -7), output the file name (without the path) and the date(in format mmddyyyy) to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lnemitz
2 Replies
CALENDAR(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					       CALENDAR(3)

NAME
easterg, easterog, easteroj, gdate, jdate, ndaysg, ndaysj, week, weekday -- Calendar arithmetic for the Christian era LIBRARY
Calendar Arithmetic Library (libcalendar, -lcalendar) SYNOPSIS
#include <calendar.h> struct date * easterg(int year, struct date *dt); struct date * easterog(int year, struct date *dt); struct date * easteroj(int year, struct date *dt); struct date * gdate(int nd, struct date *dt); struct date * jdate(int nd, struct date *dt); int ndaysg(struct date *dt); int ndaysj(struct date *dt); int week(int nd, int *year); int weekday(int nd); DESCRIPTION
These functions provide calendar arithmetic for a large range of years, starting at March 1st, year zero (i.e., 1 B.C.) and ending way beyond year 100000. Programs should be linked with -lcalendar. The functions easterg(), easterog() and easteroj() store the date of Easter Sunday into the structure pointed at by dt and return a pointer to this structure. The function easterg() assumes Gregorian Calendar (adopted by most western churches after 1582) and the functions easterog() and easteroj() compute the date of Easter Sunday according to the orthodox rules (Western churches before 1582, Greek and Russian Orthodox Church until today). The result returned by easterog() is the date in Gregorian Calendar, whereas easteroj() returns the date in Julian Calendar. The functions gdate(), jdate(), ndaysg() and ndaysj() provide conversions between the common "year, month, day" notation of a date and the "number of days" representation, which is better suited for calculations. The days are numbered from March 1st year 1 B.C., starting with zero, so the number of a day gives the number of days since March 1st, year 1 B.C. The conversions work for nonnegative day numbers only. The gdate() and jdate() functions store the date corresponding to the day number nd into the structure pointed at by dt and return a pointer to this structure. The ndaysg() and ndaysj() functions return the day number of the date pointed at by dt. The gdate() and ndaysg() functions assume Gregorian Calendar after October 4, 1582 and Julian Calendar before, whereas jdate() and ndaysj() assume Julian Calendar throughout. The two calendars differ by the definition of the leap year. The Julian Calendar says every year that is a multiple of four is a leap year. The Gregorian Calendar excludes years that are multiples of 100 and not multiples of 400. This means the years 1700, 1800, 1900, 2100 are not leap years and the year 2000 is a leap year. The new rules were inaugurated on October 4, 1582 by deleting ten days following this date. Most catholic countries adopted the new calendar by the end of the 16th century, whereas others stayed with the Julian Calendar until the 20th century. The United Kingdom and their colonies switched on September 2, 1752. They already had to delete 11 days. The function week() returns the number of the week which contains the day numbered nd. The argument *year is set with the year that contains (the greater part of) the week. The weeks are numbered per year starting with week 1, which is the first week in a year that includes more than three days of the year. Weeks start on Monday. This function is defined for Gregorian Calendar only. The function weekday() returns the weekday (Mo = 0 .. Su = 6) of the day numbered nd. The structure date is defined in <calendar.h>. It contains these fields: int y; /* year (0000 - ????) */ int m; /* month (1 - 12) */ int d; /* day of month (1 - 31) */ The year zero is written as "1 B.C." by historians and "0" by astronomers and in this library. SEE ALSO
ncal(1), strftime(3) STANDARDS
The week number conforms to ISO 8601: 1988. HISTORY
The calendar library first appeared in FreeBSD 3.0. AUTHORS
This manual page and the library was written by Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The library was coded with great care so there are no bugs left. BSD
November 29, 1997 BSD