Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: New User to Reset Passwords
Operating Systems Solaris New User to Reset Passwords Post 302518909 by jim mcnamara on Monday 2nd of May 2011 11:15:53 AM
Old 05-02-2011
This is a terrible idea security-wise. You are basically giving that user the whole system, which will never pass any security audit.

What version of Solaris do you have? There are better ways to do this.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

su - user... how to find out the list of users and their passwords..

hi, to do a su - user, we need to know what are the users... so in unix 1) which file to see the list of users, passwords? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Resetting user's passwords

Hi all, I'm developing a script to handle the various actions involved with user admin as root: Reset password create a new users change a users email address, etc We're in the process of changing over from "telnet" to "SSH" to establish terminal sessions on our Solaris 9/10 servers. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dewets
2 Replies

3. Solaris

unable to reset user password

hi, i am unable to reset one of my server user password. whenever i make a "passwd username" i get the following error ======================================== New Password: Re-enter new Password: Permission denied ======================================== please advise.thanks... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change passwords for the same user on multiple servers

I am trying to write a script to change passwords for the same user on multiple servers. My environment runs purely ssh / scp not rsh / rcp and therefore coping using rcp is not an option. I have been playing with expect to perform tasks but think there must be a better way. Has anyone got... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stolz
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Remote Reset Password for User ?

Hello, everyone i have a little scenario and would like help , SCENARIO OS : SunOS 5.10 Shell: KSH UserName 1 connects to Server1 .He should run a little command or somthing to server2 that Resets the password of user2. i have tried this : ssh user@server2 '/usr/local/bin/sudo passwd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shatztal
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change user passwords using shell script

Hi, I want to change the password of unix users on a number of servers.My plan was to ssh to all the servers in a shell script and use the passwd command. I tried to do so but everytime i run it i get this error. ssh -x -n -l user1 host passwd Changing password for "user1" 3004-709 Error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: poojabhat
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to change domain user passwords

Hi, I'm new to this site, so my apologies if this is posted to the wrong board. I'm the student administrator of a small computer science lab (20 Win 7 PCs) at a university. The logins to the PCs are handled by samba (v. 3.5.8) on a CentOS server (kernel v. 2.6.9-100.ELsmp). Recently I ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kerona
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

User password reset

Hello - I want to reset user password in multiple server via root ID. I have passwordless authentication for root between all the servers. I an use loop to reset the password. I am using below command in loop echo mypassword | passwd username --stdin However, if anyone sees history - he... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
5 Replies
audit_binfile(5)					Standards, Environments, and Macros					  audit_binfile(5)

NAME
audit_binfile - generation of Solaris audit logs SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/security/audit_binfile.so DESCRIPTION
The audit_binfile plugin module for Solaris audit, /usr/lib/security/audit_binfile.so, writes binary audit data to files as configured in audit_control(4); it is the default plugin for the Solaris audit daemon auditd(1M). Its output is described by audit.log(4). The audit_binfile plugin is loaded by auditd if audit_control contains one or more lines defining audit directories by means of the dir: specification or if audit_control has a plugin: specification of name=audit_binfile.so. OBJECT ATTRIBUTES
The p_dir and p_minfree attributes are equivalent to the dir: and minfree: lines described in audit_control. If both the dir: line and the p_dir attribute are used, the plugin combines all directories into a single list with those specified by means of dir: at the front of the list. If both the minfree and the p_minfree attributes are given, the p_minfree value is used. EXAMPLES
The following directives cause audit_binfile.so to be loaded, specify the directories for writing audit logs, and specify the percentage of required free space per directory. flags: lo,ad,-fm naflags: lo,ad plugin: name=audit_binfile.so; p_minfree=20; p_dir=/etc/security/jedgar/eggplant, /etc/security/jedgar.aux/eggplant, /etc/security/global/eggplant ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
auditd(1M), audit_control(4), syslog.conf(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 20 May 2003 audit_binfile(5)