Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing pattern spanning multiple lines Post 302518741 by ahamed101 on Sunday 1st of May 2011 04:48:03 PM
Old 05-01-2011
Try this...
Code:
#to delete 1 and 3rd <tr>...</tr> pairs
awk '/<tr>/ {i=i+1}  {if(i==1 || i==3){next} print}' file

if further if you want to delete say only the second pair, tweak the above code as
Code:
#to delete 2nd <tr>...</tr> pair
awk '/<tr>/ {i=i+1}  {if(i==2){next} print}' file

regards,
Ahamed
This User Gave Thanks to ahamed101 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing multiple lines

i have a file : sample1.txt OBJECT="POINT" ACTION="REDEFINE" POINT_NAME="ABCD001G " GHYT_POPRIORITY_1="1" GHYT_POPRIORITY_2="1" GHYT_POPRIORITY_3="1" GHYT_POPRIORITY_4="1" GHYT_POPRIORITY_USER="1" HIGH_ALARM_PRIORITY_1="1" HIGH_ALARM_PRIORITY_2="1" HIGH_ALARM_PRIORITY_3="1" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajnabi
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed command to delete a string spanning multiple lines

file1 contains the following data sssssssssss firstline secondline pppppppppp ssssssssss Using sed comamnd i am trying to delete firtsline secondline. so, output should be sssssssssss pppppppppp ssssssssss I tried in the following the way, but it is not working. sed ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: radha.kalivar
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup spanning multiple DVDs

Fedora Core 6 2.6.20-1.2962.fc6 I have about 15 GB of data that I need to backup to Single-Layer DVDs. Is there a backup method that will allow me to backup spanning multiple DVDs? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing multiple lines with single line

Can any one give me the idea on replacing multiple blank lines with a single blank line? Please conside it for a file having more than 100 number of characters. Regards, Siba (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to display record spanning over multiple lines

Following are the lines from /etc/sudoers.conf bob SPARC = (OP) ALL : SGI = (OP) ALL fred ALL = (DB) NOPASSWD: ALL ALL CDROM = NOPASSWD: /sbin/umount /CDROM,\ /sbin/mount -o nosuid\,nodev /dev/cd0a /CDROM Could you please help me with shell/perl script to display the records with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ujan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV: Replacing multiple occurrences inside a pattern

Greatings all, I am coming to seek your knowledge and some help on an issue I can not currently get over. I have been searching the boards but did not find anything close to this matter I am struggling with. I am trying to clean a CSV file and make it loadable for my SQL*Loader. My problem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OCanada
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching multiple lines and replacing in shell scripting

Hi, I have a file with below contents, ssenthil = rw anilkg = rw I want to search for "ssenthil" and need to delete line 1 and 2 , if the third line starts with "" respectively and blank line immediately and third line starts with " anilkg = rw Please help me . Great day... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil8103
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines matching a multi-line pattern (sed/perl/awk)

Dear Unix Forums, I am hoping you can help me with a pattern matching problem. What am I trying to do? I want to replace multiple lines of a text file (that match a multi-line pattern) with a single line of text. These patterns can span several lines and do not always have the same number of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefang
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match Pattern and print pattern and multiple lines into one line

Hello Experts , require help . See below output: File inputs ------------------------------------------ Server Host = mike id rl images allocated last updated density vimages expiration last read <------- STATUS ------->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigerhills
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing multiple lines from input file, if multiple lines match a pattern.

GM, I have an issue at work, which requires a simple solution. But, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to hit on the code needed. I am assuming that sed, awk or even perl could do what I need. I have an application that adds extra blank page feeds, for multiple reports, when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxfish2
7 Replies
LDAP_DELETE(3)						     Library Functions Manual						    LDAP_DELETE(3)

NAME
ldap_delete, ldap_delete_s - Perform an LDAP delete operation SYNOPSIS
#include <ldap.h> int ldap_delete_s(ld, dn) LDAP *ld; char *dn; int ldap_delete(ld, dn) LDAP *ld; char *dn; DESCRIPTION
The ldap_delete_s() routine is used to perform an LDAP delete operation synchronously. It takes dn, the DN of the entry to be deleted. It returns an LDAP error code, indicating the success or failure of the operation. The ldap_delete() routine is used to perform an LDAP delete operation asynchronously. It takes the same parameters as ldap_delete_s(), but returns the message id of the request it initiated. The result of the delete can be obtained by a subsequent call to ldap_result(3). ERRORS
ldap_delete_s() returns an LDAP error code which can be interpreted by calling one of ldap_perror(3) and friends. ldap_delete() returns -1 if something went wrong initiating the request. It returns the non-negative message id of the request if things went ok. SEE ALSO
ldap(3), ldap_error(3) ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
OpenLDAP is developed and maintained by The OpenLDAP Project (http://www.openldap.org/). OpenLDAP is derived from University of Michigan LDAP 3.3 Release. OpenLDAP 2.0.27-Release 22 September 1998 LDAP_DELETE(3)