Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting finding and removing 2 identical consecutive words in a text Post 302518689 by ctsgnb on Sunday 1st of May 2011 09:28:11 AM
Old 05-01-2011
Code:
awk '{for (i=2;i<=NF;i++) while($(i+1)==$i){sub($i FS $(i+1),$i,$0)}}1' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing identical words in column

I have a file that needs to be cleaned up. Here is the file: Project Project John Project Gary Project Sean Project2 Project2 Lisa Project2 Tyler Project2 Sam Project3 Project3 Mike Project3 Bran I need the o/p to be: Project John Gary Sean Project2 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: leepet01
7 Replies

2. SuSE

finding and removing block of identical strings

i have a problem in finding block of identical strings...i solved the problem in finding consecutive identical words and now i want to expand the code in order to find and remove consecutive identical block of strings... for example the awk code removing consecutive identical word is:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cocostaec
2 Replies

3. Programming

i have a problem in finding block of identical strings...i solved the problem in finding consecutive identical words and now i want to expand the code in order to find and remove consecutive identical block of strings... for example the awk code removing consecutive identical word is:... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting words in list with more than 2 identical adjacent characters

Morning Guys & Gals, I am trying to figure out a way to remove lines from a file that have more than 2 identical characters in sequence.. So if for instance the list would look like ; the output would be ; I can't seem to get my head around perl (among many other... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAPE
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding consecutive same words in a file

Hi All, I tried this but I am having trouble formulating this: I have a file that looks like this (this is a sample file words can be different): network router frame network router computer card host computer card One can see that in this file "network" and "router" occur... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing consecutive lines in a file

We have very large transaction logs that have transactions which start with a line that starts with 'Begin :' and ends with a line that starts with 'End :'. For most transactions there is valid data between those two lines. I am trying to get rid of lines that look like this: Begin :... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: deneuve01
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scan a file in realtime and execute certain commands on encountering 5 consecutive identical lines

Mysql log has something like below: I need a bash shell script that will do the following: 1) The script will scan the mysql.log file constantly in real time (something like tail -F mysql.log) 2) If it encounters 5 consecutive identical lines then it would invoke some commands (say... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get group of consecutive uppercase words using gawk

Hi I'd like to extract, from a text file, the strings starting with "The Thing" and only composed of words with a capital first letter and apostrophes, like for example: "The Thing I Only" from "those are the The Thing I Only go for whatever." or "The Thing That Are Like Men's Eyewear" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisJ
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk - If field value of consecutive records are the identical print portion of lines

I have some data that looks like this: PXD= ZW< 1,6 QR> QRJ== 1,2(5) QR> QRJ== 4,1(2) QR> QRJ== 4,2 QRB= QRB 4,2 QWM QWM 6,2 R<C ZW< 11,2 R<H= R<J= 6,1 R>H XZJ= 1,2(2) R>H XZJ= 2,6(2) R>H XZJ= 4,1(2) R>H XZJ= 6,2 RDP RDP 1,2 What I would like to do is if fields $1 and $2 are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
5 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)