Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting finding and removing 2 identical consecutive words in a text Post 302518688 by kevintse on Sunday 1st of May 2011 09:24:25 AM
Old 05-01-2011
Welcome to the forum!

Try sed:
Code:
sed 's/\b\(.*\)\b\1/\1/g' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing identical words in column

I have a file that needs to be cleaned up. Here is the file: Project Project John Project Gary Project Sean Project2 Project2 Lisa Project2 Tyler Project2 Sam Project3 Project3 Mike Project3 Bran I need the o/p to be: Project John Gary Sean Project2 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: leepet01
7 Replies

2. SuSE

finding and removing block of identical strings

i have a problem in finding block of identical strings...i solved the problem in finding consecutive identical words and now i want to expand the code in order to find and remove consecutive identical block of strings... for example the awk code removing consecutive identical word is:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cocostaec
2 Replies

3. Programming

i have a problem in finding block of identical strings...i solved the problem in finding consecutive identical words and now i want to expand the code in order to find and remove consecutive identical block of strings... for example the awk code removing consecutive identical word is:... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting words in list with more than 2 identical adjacent characters

Morning Guys & Gals, I am trying to figure out a way to remove lines from a file that have more than 2 identical characters in sequence.. So if for instance the list would look like ; the output would be ; I can't seem to get my head around perl (among many other... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAPE
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding consecutive same words in a file

Hi All, I tried this but I am having trouble formulating this: I have a file that looks like this (this is a sample file words can be different): network router frame network router computer card host computer card One can see that in this file "network" and "router" occur... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing consecutive lines in a file

We have very large transaction logs that have transactions which start with a line that starts with 'Begin :' and ends with a line that starts with 'End :'. For most transactions there is valid data between those two lines. I am trying to get rid of lines that look like this: Begin :... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: deneuve01
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scan a file in realtime and execute certain commands on encountering 5 consecutive identical lines

Mysql log has something like below: I need a bash shell script that will do the following: 1) The script will scan the mysql.log file constantly in real time (something like tail -F mysql.log) 2) If it encounters 5 consecutive identical lines then it would invoke some commands (say... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get group of consecutive uppercase words using gawk

Hi I'd like to extract, from a text file, the strings starting with "The Thing" and only composed of words with a capital first letter and apostrophes, like for example: "The Thing I Only" from "those are the The Thing I Only go for whatever." or "The Thing That Are Like Men's Eyewear" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisJ
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk - If field value of consecutive records are the identical print portion of lines

I have some data that looks like this: PXD= ZW< 1,6 QR> QRJ== 1,2(5) QR> QRJ== 4,1(2) QR> QRJ== 4,2 QRB= QRB 4,2 QWM QWM 6,2 R<C ZW< 11,2 R<H= R<J= 6,1 R>H XZJ= 1,2(2) R>H XZJ= 2,6(2) R>H XZJ= 4,1(2) R>H XZJ= 6,2 RDP RDP 1,2 What I would like to do is if fields $1 and $2 are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
5 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)