Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Is Kernel module is the same as a device driver? Post 302518687 by newlinuxuser1 on Sunday 1st of May 2011 09:08:40 AM
Old 05-01-2011
Is Kernel module is the same as a device driver?

I have been reading prep questions for my second unix academy exam, and there's a nuance, I'm not sure I understand it correctly.
I've been under impression from my readings of book by Evi Nemeth and from unix academy DVDs I've been watching, that kernel's modules are drivers. I think of it, as there are standard drivers that come precompiled as a part of a kernel, and some drivers that are not part of a "standard setup", so we load them when necessary as modules.
Now, I see in my readings and in the DVDs, modules and drivers are discussed on separate occasions, which makes me confused! Are they the same or they aren't? I mean, is this "module" and "driver" terminology is interchangeable and it is just figure of speech, or there's real difference between them?

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel and Device Driver Programming

I am looking for a guide on how to program for either the Linux or FreeBSD (includes 4.4BSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD) kernel. I would prefer to learn how to write device drivers, but anything would help. If you know, please email me at *removed* or leave a post here Regards, Farhan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farhan
0 Replies

2. Solaris

SUNWglmr -- rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c or SCSI device driver ?

I've been researching minimizeing Solaris 8 and found that on the web page http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/packagelist/s8u7PkgList/p2.html the package SUNWglmr is listed as "rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c, (Root) (32-bit)" while in the document "Solaris 8 minimize-updt1.pdf"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roygoodwin
1 Replies

3. Linux

Linux Device Driver: avoid mem copy from/to user/kernel space

I recently started working with Linux and wrote my first device driver for a hardware chip controlled by a host CPU running Linux 2.6.x kernel. 1. The user space process makes an IOCTL call with pointer to a user memory buffer. 2. The kernel device driver in the big switch-case of IOCTL,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agaurav
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Get pointer for existing device class (struct class) in Linux kernel module

Hi all! I am trying to register a device in an existing device class, but I am having trouble getting the pointer to an existing class. I can create a class in a module, get the pointer to it and then use it to register the device with: *cl = class_create(THIS_MODULE, className);... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdaniel@ualg.pt
0 Replies
Intro_jfp(7)						   Device and Network Interfaces					      Intro_jfp(7)

NAME
Intro_jfp, intro_jfp - introduction to JFP special files DESCRIPTION
This section describes various device and network interfaces available on the system. The types of interfaces described include character and block devices, STREAMS modules, network protocols, file systems, and ioctl requests for driver subsystems and classes. This section contains the following major collections:(7I) This section describes ioctl requests which apply to a class of drivers or subsystems. Ioctl requests relevant to only a specific device are described on the man page for that device. The page for the device in question should still be examined for exceptions to the ioctls listed in section 7I.(7M) This section describes STREAMS modules. Note that STREAMS drivers are discussed in section 7D. streamio(7I) contains a list of ioctl requests used to manipulate STREAMS modules and interface with the STREAMS framework. Ioctl requests specific to a STREAMS module will be discussed on the man page for that module. SEE ALSO
add_drv(1M), rem_drv(1M), intro(2), ioctl(2), socket(3SOCKET), driver.conf(4), intro(7), arp(7P), icmp(7P), inet(7P), ip(7P), mtio(7I), st(7D), streamio(7I), tcp(7P), udp(7P) STREAMS Programming Guide Writing Device Drivers LIST
Name Description Intro_jfp(7) introduction to JFP special files jaio(7I) interface to Japanese I/O modules jconv7(7M) code conversion STREAMS module (7-bit JIS/Japanese EUC) jconv8(7M) code conversion STREAMS module (8-bit JIS/Japanese EUC) jconvrs(7M) code conversion STREAMS module (Japanese EUC/PC kanji) jconvru(7M) code conversion STREAMS module (Japanese EUC/UTF--8) jconvs(7M) code conversion STREAMS module (PC kanji/Japanese EUC) jconvu(7M) code conversion STREAMS module (UTF-8/Japanese EUC) SunOS 5.10 7 Dec 1999 Intro_jfp(7)