Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed delete option
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed delete option Post 302518664 by zorrox on Sunday 1st of May 2011 02:57:45 AM
Old 05-01-2011
sed delete option

I have tried doing this to delete some lines:
Code:
sed '1,10d' file

Now I want to specify a variable as a line number for example:

lastline=wc -l file
linestart=$lastline - 20

sed '$linestart,$lastlined' file

but this will give error:
Code:
sed: -e expression #1, char 3: extra characters after command

Is there anyway to place a variable as the line number?

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 05-01-2011 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed option to delete two words within a file

Could someone please help me with the following. I'm trying to figure out how to delete two words within a specific file using sed. The two words are directory and named. I have tried the following: sed '//d' sedfile sed '//d' sedfile both of these options do not work..... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: klannon
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rsync with the --delete option.

Tell me this - set me straight! the --delete option says "delete files that don't exist on the sending side" Does this mean and only mean that it will delete files from the DESTINATION that DON'T EXIST on the sending side? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sallender
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync with the --delete option

Tell me this - set me straight! The --delete option says "delete files that don't exist on the sending side" Does this mean and only mean that it will delete files from the DESTINATION that DON'T EXIST on the sending side? :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sallender
1 Replies

4. Solaris

option to delete .tar file while extracting

Is there an option in tar which deletes the .tar file as soon as it is successfully extracted. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed -i option example

Can anyone give detailed and example for sed -i option. Where can we use this option?:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed 'b' option

Hi, What does the following command do on files? sed '1b; $d' To me it just deletes the last line of the file. If so what is the significance of sed's 'b' option? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with -e option

sed "s/^/8,A1,$dat,id2_3,/g" -e sed "s/$/,,,,,,,,,,,/g" temporary wn m running this script m getting a error... plz help me with this.... O/p sed: -e expression #1, char 3: unterminated `s' command ---------- Post updated at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:33 AM... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -n option

Hi i am facing problem with sed -n option could you please help me on this, i have a file test the contents of the file is width="75">10/0 4/12</td>^M><a href='courtorders/100412zr.pdf' target="_blank">Miscellaneous Order</a></td>^M width="75">10/01/12</td>^M><a href='courtorde... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragilla
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync with delete option

Hi, I have restored backup of a directory on one server to another server. But there may be some differences because the date on which backup was taken is 5 days back, so I want to delete the files on target if something is not in sync, but do not want to copy it all, since this is already... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed not applying /d "delete line" option

So I'm on an AIX machine. And sed is not applying /d "delete line" option when I also include match word options \< and \> examples... echo cat | sed '/\<cat\>/d'will return cat for some reason echo cat | sed "/\<cat\>/d"will also still return cat. Of course i can just run echo cat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: escooter87
9 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)