Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Anyone know of any FUN countdown script Post 302518572 by cfajohnson on Saturday 30th of April 2011 09:42:08 AM
Old 04-30-2011
Code:
string='          '
while [ -n "$string" ]
do
  printf "\r\e[41m%s\e[0m " "$string"
  sleep 1
  string=${string#?}
done
printf "\r \n"

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script - loop to countdown

I am taking a class in UNIX and have written a script that needs to countdown from a number that is read in from the keyboard to zero. If no number is given the start of the countdown should default to 10. I can't get this to do the default #! /bin/sh echo Enter a number here to countdown... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: froggwife
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display runnning countdown in a bash script?

I am looking for a way to display on a single line, a running countdown for a given amount of time in a terminal using a bash script. I am looking for this to use as part of a larger bash script that captures Video. The script sets up a bunch of parameters for DVgrab, and one of the parameters... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Starcast
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

countdown in unix?

is there a script to preform a countdown from 10 seconds to 0? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamieMurry
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

countdown to christmas

was wondering if there was a script that would countdiwn the days until christmas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trob
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop! (the countdown!) :-) shell script help

Hi guys, I've found two nifty little scripts on these forums one which detects if the F5 key has been pressed: #/bin/sh _key() { local kp ESC=$'\e' _KEY= read -d '' -sn1 _KEY case $_KEY in "$ESC") while read -d '' -sn1 -t1 kp do _KEY=$_KEY$kp ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - countdown timer

Hello, I have another problem with my script - I would like to have a countdown timer visible on the screen, and at the same time, I want te be able to do something else. And when the time runs out, I need to know about that inside the script somehow and do some action. I guess that would require 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xqwzts
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script countdown

In the below bash when the perl is it possible to hide the commands from running on screen and display a process countdown? For example, on the cygwin screen now the user sees each process in the command running as running protocol refGene, running protocol popfreq_all, etc... Could a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Countdown timer with seconds

I would like this to work with seconds as well. #!/bin/bash # if ; then echo "Incorrect usage ! Example:" echo './CountDown.sh -d "Jun 10 2011 16:06"' echo 'or' echo './CountDown.sh -m 90' exit 1 fi now=`date +%s` if ; then until=`date -d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Banner Countdown Timer

Hello. I am pretty new to unix and shell scripting and I was wondering if there might be a way to banner a countdown timer inside a script. We currently have an existing script that does a 2 minute sleep but thought it might be fun to actually make it banner a countdown timer until it is finished.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumbelina
3 Replies
MESSAGES(3)						  libbash messages Library Manual					       MESSAGES(3)

NAME
messages -- libbash library that implements a set of functions to print standard status messages SYNOPSIS
printOK [indent] printFAIL [indent] printNA [indent] printATTN [indent] printWAIT [indent] DESCRIPTION
General messages is a collection of functions to print standard status messages - those [ OK ] and [FAIL] messages you see during Linux boot process. The function list: printOK Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) Detailed interface description follows. indent Column to move to before printing. Default indent is calculated as TTY_WIDTH-10. If current tty width can not be determined (for example, in case of serial console), it defaults to 80, so default indent is 80-10=10 FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
printOK [indent] Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL [indent] Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA [indent] Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN [indent] Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT [indent] Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) EXAMPLES
Run a program named MyProg, and report it's success or failure: echo -n 'Running MyProg...' printWAIT if MyProg ; then printOK else printFAIL fi AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux