Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Deallocating memory in multi-threaded environment. Post 302518393 by DGPickett on Friday 29th of April 2011 01:28:45 PM
Old 04-29-2011
Yes, where did you fall off my wagon?

The big answer is no, this cannot work. You can only dealloc when you are sure all copies of the pointer, or any derived pointer, are out of use, forever. Threads need to use the pointer to see if it is locked.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

problem deallocating memory for 3d aray

Can anyone tell me why this section of code causes a segmentation fault when 'deallocate' is called?. Although it works when n>=number. This code segment is intended to be used in a program in which the tensor is very large, (5x512x512) or greater. i tryed to compile this using gcc version... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bongobonga
2 Replies

2. Programming

multi-threaded server, pthreads, sleep

I am trying to writa a multi-client & multi-threaded TCP server. There is a thread pool. Each thread in the pool will handle requests of multiple clients. But here I have a problem. I find a solution but it is not how it must be... i think. When threads working without sleep(1) I can't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parahat Melayev
0 Replies

3. Programming

HOWTO: Calculate the balance of work in multi-threaded app.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a good idea how to calculate how balanced the threading is on a multi-threaded application. I want a percentage, such as "threads are 80% balanced." This is the way I am currently going about it, maybe it is good, maybe not. First, whenever a thread... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
2 Replies

4. AIX

multi threaded program is hanging

I have a Multithreaded program which is hanging on AIX. OS Version: AIX 5.2 and thread library version : 5.2.0.75 We Initiate the process with 50 threads..when we are disconnecting from the process it hangs.There is lots of other stuff involved here.I am just sending the piece of the problem with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hikrishn
0 Replies

5. Programming

Questions about timer in multi-threads environment

Hi I have questions about timer function in multi-threads environment. My application has multi-threads, in one thread, I set a timer, when the timer expires, the timer function will interrupt other thread and execute. I am not clear which thread will be interrupted by the timer function ?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: longskys
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

In need of multi threaded perl assistance

I need to write a perl script to execute external programs and grab the output and return code. Each program should be killed if it has not completed within X seconds. Imagine that the script goes something like this : @commands = &get_commands(); foreach $cmd (@commands) { $pid =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SandmanCL
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multi-threaded encryption @ Fedora 11

Hello, are any of the encryption programs capable of true multi-threading ? Friend of mine tells me that he's been running some testing on Fedora 11 and that the kernel doesn't support multi-threading at that level. I've been looking into TrueCrypt, encfs and both calm to support... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
0 Replies

8. Linux

Multi-threaded encryption @ Fedora 11

Hello, are any of the encryption programs capable of true multi-threading ? Friend of mine tells me that he's been running some testing on Fedora 11 and that the kernel doesn't support multi-threading at that level. I've been looking into TrueCrypt, encfs and both calm to support... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TehOne
1 Replies

9. Programming

multi-threaded memory leak

Hello All : I write a .c program to test the exactually resource the memory leak as follows: 1 #include <stdio.h> 2 #define NUM 100000 3 void *Thread_Run(void * arg){ 4 //TODO 5 //pthread_datch(pthread_self()); 6 int socket= (int)arg; 7 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aobai
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for multi-threaded bash processes

hey everyone, I'm having some trouble breaking down some code. It's simple a control script that takes machines meant to be backed up from a list. Then according to that will run multi-threaded processes up until the specified thread limit. for example if there are 4 machines to be backed up,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrell
2 Replies
UPSCLI_LIST_NEXT(3)						    NUT Manual						       UPSCLI_LIST_NEXT(3)

NAME
upscli_list_next - retrieve list items from a UPS SYNOPSIS
#include <upsclient.h> int upscli_list_next(UPSCONN_t *ups, int numq, const char **query, int *numa, char ***answer) DESCRIPTION
The upscli_list_next() function takes the pointer ups to a UPSCONN_t state structure, and the pointer query to an array of numq query elements. It performs a read from the network and expects to find either another list item or the end of a list. You must call upscli_list_start(3) before calling this function. This function will return 1 and set values in numa and answer if a list item is received. If the list is done, it will return 0, and the values in numa and answer are undefined. Calling this function after it returns something other than 1 is undefined. QUERY FORMATTING
You may not change the values of numq or query between the call to upscli_list_start(3) and the first call to this function. You also may not change the values between calls to this function. ANSWER FORMATTING
The contents of numa and answer work just like a call to upscli_get(3). The values returned by upsd(8) are identical to a single item request, so this is not surprising. ERROR CHECKING
This function checks the response from upsd(8) against your query. If the response is not part of the list you have requested, it will return an error code. When this happens, upscli_upserror(3) will return UPSCLI_ERR_PROTOCOL. RETURN VALUE
The upscli_list_next() function returns 1 when list data is present, 0 if the list is finished, or -1 if an error occurs. It is possible to have an empty list. The function will return 0 for its first call in that case. SEE ALSO
upscli_list_start(3), upscli_strerror(3), upscli_upserror(3) Network UPS Tools 05/22/2012 UPSCLI_LIST_NEXT(3)