Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compress a particular month files Post 302517970 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 28th of April 2011 10:51:44 AM
Old 04-28-2011
By compress I take it to mean you want to compress each file:
Feb 2011
Code:
touch -t 201101302359.59  start_dummy
touch -t 201102282359.59  end_dummy
find /path/to/directory \( -newer start_dummy -a ! - newer end_dummy \)  |
while read fname
do
     compress $fname
     # or use
     # gzip $fname
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Compress log files?

Hi, I have my log files in /home/user1/temp2/logs i want to archive *.log and *.txt files and to store in my /home/user1/temp2/archved/ with *.log with Time stamp ,Please let me know how to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress multiple files

Hi Friends, Can anyone help me out with compressing multiple files. I have multiple files in directory , I have to compress these into a single file, I tried using gzip -r outfile.gz file1 file2 file3. It is not working Thanks in advance for your help S :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress files

Hi All, I would like to archive some of the scripts below(USFINUM042006_01.CSV USFINUM042006_02.CSV and USFINUM042006_03.CSV )and also use a wildcard e.g. <command> USFINUM*.CSV. Also there are a lot of similar files but I want only the three latest files to be compressed. Which is the best... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira
3 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Compress files on NAS

Hello, I am having difficulty compressing the files using compress or GZIP utility on NAS share NFS mounted on my linux server. Any one have idea on how to do this ? I get the followign error but the trying to compress the files STRP2> compress STR_OUTBOUND_CDM_LOG_LOB.PRT2008_26.txt... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamathg
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

compress files

Could someone give me an idea how to compress all files from a given directory that are not of type .z (compressed). Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compress files without extension

Could someone please help? I'm trying to compress all the files in a directory without extension. I know for typical files with extension, the command is something like: tar -zcvf file.tar.gz *.doc What is the command for files without extension? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AChan1118
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

compress the log files

Hi, I have an application which creates the logs in a date wise. like, tomcat_access_log.2009-09-12.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-11.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-10.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-09.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-08.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-07.logNow my requirement is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skmdu
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I compress all files in a directory?

the problem states "Write a script that compresses all the files in the directory. Make a directory and put some files in it. Also make a sub directory in your directory and put files in it also. Once you have this basic ability to compress all files within a directory, add to your script a menu of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Brittany
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need last month files after 10th of every month

Hi, I need all file names in a folder which has date >= 10th of last month, Example : files in folder AUTO_F1_20140610.TXT BUTO_F1_20140616.TXT CUTO_F1_20140603.TXT FA_AUTO_06012014.TXT LA_AUTO_06112014.TXT MA_AUTO_06212014.TXT ZA_AUTO_06232014.TXT Output: AUTO_F1_20140610.TXT... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani1984
9 Replies
cal(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cal(1)

NAME
cal - print calendar SYNOPSIS
[[month] year] DESCRIPTION
prints a calendar for the specified year. If a month is also specified, a calendar just for that month is printed. If neither is speci- fied, a calendar for the present month is printed. year can be between 1 and 9999. month is a decimal number between 1 and 12. The cal- endar produced is a Gregorian calendar. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
For information about the UNIX Standard environment, see standards(5). Environment Variables determines the locale to use for the locale categories when both and the corresponding environment variable (beginning with do not specify a locale. If is not set or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used. determines the locale for interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (e.g., single- verses multibyte characters in arguments and input files). determines the format and contents of the calendar. determines the timezone used to calculate the value of the current month. If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
The command: prints the calendar for September, 1850 on the screen as follows: However, for UNIX Standard (see standards(5)), the output looks like below: WARNINGS
The year is always considered to start in January even though this is historically naive. Beware that refers to the early Christian era, not the 20th century. SEE ALSO
standards(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
cal(1)