Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extract data in a csv file based on a certain field. Post 302517797 by GroveTuckey on Wednesday 27th of April 2011 09:46:54 PM
Old 04-27-2011
This worked
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{a[$1]=cnt++; next}{if($6 in a){print $2 > "output.txt";} }' aux data

This put all of the data into one file called output.txt. The other way created a separate file for each entry.

In any case that was a huge help rdcwayx.

There are some other things I need to try to do but this gets me far.

Thanks again!

---------- Post updated at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:32 PM ----------

update
Code:
awk -F't\' 'NR==FNR{a[$1]=cnt++; next}{if($6 in a){print $2 > "output.txt";} }' aux data

That was what worked. Needed the -F'\t' so awk knew it was tab delimited.

Have to pad $2 to account for 5 characters and name the output.txt the name of the data file.

Thanks again.

---------- Post updated at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:57 PM ----------

and this

Code:
awk -F'\t' 'NR==FNR{a[$1]=cnt++; next}{if($12 in a){printf "%05s\n", $2 > "output.txt";} }' aux data

does the padding of the $2 field.

Last edited by Franklin52; 04-28-2011 at 03:45 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data into file with specific field specs

:confused: I have a tab delimited file that I need to extract data from and into a file with specific field specs. Each field has to be a certain amount of characters. So, the name field (from delimited file) might have only 15 characters but needs to be 25 (in new file) so I need to insert spaces... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: criddel
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data from an XML file & write into a CSV file

Hi All, I am having an XML tag like: <detail sim_ser_no_1="898407109001000090" imsi_1="452070001000090"> <security>ADM1=????</security> <security>PIN1=????</security> <security>PIN2=????</security> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss_ss
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract data from csv file

Hello everybody, Here is my problem, I don't know anything about shell programming and my boss is actually asking me to develop a shell script in order to get values in a csv file from a specific date. Here is a sample of the csv file : Date;Enchaînement;Titre;Libellé ;calendrier;Heure début;Heure... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: freyr
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract file records based on some field conditions

Hello Friends, I have a file(InputFile.csv) with the following columns(the columns are pipe-delimited): ColA|ColB|ColC|ColD|ColE|ColF Now for this file, I have to get those records which fulfil the following condition: If "ColB" is NOT NULL and "ColD" has values one of the following... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehimadri
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text file to CSV with field data separated by blank lines

Hello, I have some data in a text file where fields are separated by blank lines. There are only 6 fields however some fields have several lines of data as I will explain. Also data in a particular field is not consistently the same size but does end on a blank line. The first field start with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching and Merging csv data fields based on a common field

Dear List, I have a file of csv data which has a different line per compliance check per host. I do not want any omissions from this csv data file which looks like this: date,hostname,status,color,check 02-03-2012,COMP1,FAIL,Yellow,auth_pass_change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data from XML file and write in CSV file

Hi friend i have input as following XML file <?xml version="1.0"?> <Document xmlns="urn:iso:std:iso:20022:tech:xsd:camt.054.001.02"> <BkToCstmrDbtCdtNtfctn> <GrpHdr><MsgId>LBP-RDJ-TE000000-130042430010001001</MsgId><CreDtTm>2013-01-04T03:21:30</CreDtTm></GrpHdr>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan sharma
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to extract data from csv file based on certain conditions

Hi Guys, I am new to shell script.I need your help to write a shell script. I need to write a shell script to extract data from a .csv file where columns are ',' separated. The file has 5 columns having values say column 1,column 2.....column 5 as below along with their valuesm.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to extract data from csv file

Hi Guys, I am new to shell script.I need your help to write a shell script. I need to write a shell script to extract data from a .csv file where columns are ',' separated. The file has 7 columns having values say column 1,column 2.....column 7 as below along with their values. Name, Address,... (7 Replies)
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to extract data from csv file

Hi everyone, I have a csv file which has data with different heading and column names as below. Static Data Ingested ,,,,,,,,,,,,Known Explained Rejections Column_1,column_2,Column_3,Column_4,,Column_6,Column_7,,% Column_8,,Column_9 ,Column_10 ,... (14 Replies)
14 Replies
CSV2REC(1)							   User Commands							CSV2REC(1)

NAME
csv2rec - csv to rec converter SYNOPSIS
csv2rec [OPTIONS]... [CSV_FILE] DESCRIPTION
Convert csv data into rec data. -t, --type=TYPE type name for the converted records; if this parameter is ommited then no type is used. -s, --strict be strict parsing the csv file. -e, --omit-empty omit empty fields. --help print a help message and exit. --version show version and exit. AUTHOR
Written by Jose E. Marchesi. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to: bug-recutils@gnu.org GNU recutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/recutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010, 2011, 2012 Jose E. Marchesi. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for csv2rec is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and csv2rec programs are properly installed at your site, the command info csv2rec should give you access to the complete manual. csv2rec 1.4.93 January 2012 CSV2REC(1)