Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Count Number Of lines in text files and append values to beginning of file Post 302517458 by motoxeryz125 on Tuesday 26th of April 2011 10:27:24 PM
Old 04-26-2011
Count Number Of lines in text files and append values to beginning of file

Hello,

I have 50 text files in a directory called "AllFiles"

I want to make a program that will go inside of the "AllFiles" Directory and count the number of lines in each individual text file. Then, the program will calculate how many more lines there are over 400 in each text file and append this information to the beginning of each text file.

For example, lets say i have 5 files in a directory in the "AllFiles" directory:

file1.txt ---has 500 lines
file2.txt ---has 600 lines
file3.txt ---has 550 lines
file4.txt ---has 700 lines
file5.txt ---has 480 lines

The result of the program should be this:

The first line of file1.txt should read: "there are 400 lines in this file and 100 bonus lines"
The first line of file2.txt should read: "there are 400 lines in this file and 200 bonus lines"
The first line of file3.txt should read: "there are 400 lines in this file and 150 bonus lines"
The first line of file4.txt should read: "there are 400 lines in this file and 300 bonus lines"
The first line of file5.txt should read: "there are 400 lines in this file and 80 bonus lines"

Is there any way that i can do this using the command prompt?

I have tried using 'sed' to do this, but i guess i am missing several necessary libraries. I have GNUwin32. I downloaded the program from gnuwin32DOTsourceforgeDOTnet/packages/sedDOThtm. I downloaded and installed the "completed package, except resources" file and "resources" file.

But, i really have no idea how to use sed. I have tried a couple command prompt line items, but most of them end up in errors.

I don't have visual studio, but i do have the Microsoft office Visual Basic editor, and i have tried a few basic things to do this with no success.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If it matters, my computers operating system is Windows 7.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count of Number of Lines in a File

Dear Members, I want to count the number of lines in a file; for that i am using the following command : FILE_LINE_COUNT=`wc -l $INT_IN/$RAW_FILE_NAME` if i do an echo on FILE_LINE_COUNT then i get 241 /home/data/testfile.txt I don't want the directory path to be displayed. Variable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read directory files and count number of lines

Hello, I'm trying to create a BASH file that can read all the files in my working directory and tell me how many words and lines are in that file. I wrote the following code: FILES="*" for f in "$FILES" do echo -e `wc -l -w $f` done My issue is that my file is outputting in one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing two files and count number of lines that match

Hello all, I always found help for my problems using the search option, but this time my request is too specific. I have two files that I want to compare. File1 is the index and File2 contains the data: File1: chr1 protein_coding exon 500 600 . + . gene_id "20532";... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerSeb
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script on how to count the total number of lines of all the files under a directory

how to count the total number of lines of all the files under a directory using perl script.. I mean if I have 10 files under a directory then I want to count the total number of lines of all the 10 files contain. Please help me in writing a perl script on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityam
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

append delimeter count for each line in text file

Hi guys, plz tell me how to achieve this how to delete the lines in a file using sed command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hari908
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script to read lines from file and count values

Hi, I need some help with a script I'm trying to write. I have a log file containing references to a number of different webservices. I wish to write a script that will list the webservices with a count as to how many times they appear in the log. An example of the log file content: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gman2010
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of free lines in a text file

Hi Everybody I want to write a script to count the number of lines in a file that don't ahve any thing on it, the free lines, i try to do it with fgrep "" which means to grep on the spaces but it does not work. help me please? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hard_revenge
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append Multiple files with file name in the beginning of line

Hi, I have multiple files having many lines like as bvelow: file Name a.txt abc def def xyz 123 5678 file Name b.txt abc def def xyz 123 5678 I would like to append files in the below format to a new file: file Name c.txt (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramkrishnas
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and count number of matching lines

Dear All, I would like to compare two files and return the number of matches found. Example File A Lx2 L1_Mus1 L1Md_T Lx5 L1M2 L1_Mus3 Lx3_Mus Lx9 Lx2A L1Md_A L1Md_F2 File B L1_Mus3 L1_Mus3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paolo.kunder
3 Replies
COMM(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   COMM(1)

NAME
comm -- select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123i] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which should be sorted lexically, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. The filename ``-'' means the standard input. The following options are available: -1 Suppress printing of column 1, lines only in file1. -2 Suppress printing of column 2, lines only in file2. -3 Suppress printing of column 3, lines common to both. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. Each column will have a number of tab characters prepended to it equal to the number of lower numbered columns that are being printed. For example, if column number two is being suppressed, lines printed in column number one will not have any tabs preceding them, and lines printed in column number three will have one. The comm utility assumes that the files are lexically sorted; all characters participate in line comparisons. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of comm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The comm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1) STANDARDS
The comm utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The -i option is an extension to the POSIX standard. HISTORY
A comm command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BSD
December 12, 2009 BSD