Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with creating a text file in perl with file creation date. Post 302517314 by msrahman on Tuesday 26th of April 2011 11:50:15 AM
Old 04-26-2011
We have a function in Perl called "Open" which creates a file.

I am trying to create the .TXT file in the specified directory.
I tried concatinating the Directory with the string.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use POSIX;

#Directory where the text file will be created.
$directory =  '/space/data';
if (!(-d "$directory")) { #check if directory exists -  returns true if doesn't exist.
        printf "No directory\n", $? >> 8;
        exit (1); #exit because directory doesn't exist.
}

my $filename=strftime("filename_%y%M%d.TXT", localtime);
print "filename is $filename\n";
open($directory.">$filename") || die("Couldn't open file");
#open(FILE, ">$filename") || die("Couldn't open file");

print FILE "hello world\n";

close(FILE);
exit(0);

I am able to execute this script, but i am not getting the .TXT file been created in the folder '/space/data'.

Where am i going wrong? How can i create this .TXT file in the specified folder/directory?

Appreciate any help..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Creation Date to a Prespecified Date of a File In Unix

Dear Expert, Is there a command to do that in Unix? In such a way that we don't need to actually "write" or modified the content. -- monkfan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkfan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get File creation date.

Hi All, I need to get file creation date. I have to access one file who's name is like... abc.log092308 and the date changes as per current date. And i am accessing this file next day. meance in above case i will access above file on 09-24-2008 Also one problem is that this file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeevan Salunke
2 Replies

3. Solaris

gzip a file and append creation date stamp to file

I want to gzip a file and append the creation date to the end of the file. How can I accomplish this task. Basically they are log files which need a creation date stamp appended to make sure they do not overwrite other log files. -jack (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacktravine
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find creation date of file

Hi, I just need to know way of getting date of file when it was created. eg i have a file abc created on 23 aug. Now i need to know date of file i.e. 23 aug. How can i get that data. Thanks Sarbjit (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding creation date of a file

Hi, Can anyone tell me a process to find the creation date of a file in a directory. If suppose I have a file in a directory created in 2009 -rw-r--r-- 1 xyz guest 2480 Jul 16 2009 sample.txt The command should return the the file creation date as 16/07/2009 thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathich
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scope of the shell/perl script is to read the input text file. Validate the expiry date of each

The scope of the shell/perl script is to read the input text file. Validate the expiry date of each certificate and send the mail to the user. The user takes action to add the new certificate to the storage file and user owns the responsibility to update the input text file with the new certificate... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: casmo
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the previous day date and creating a file with date

Hi guys, I had a scenario... 1. I had to get the previous days date in yyyymmdd format 2. i had to create a file with Date inthe format yyyymmdd.txt format both are different thanks guys in advance.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apple2685
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add file creation date as new column

Hi , I have a requirement to append file creation date to each row in a file for all the files in a directory. Please help Thanks, Pavan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pavan Ram B S
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to print file name and its creation date

Hello , I am looking for a script to print file name and its last updated time. FILE CREATION-TIME FILE-NAME 24/10/2017 12:34 TDR-IU-8-2017.10.24.07:40:00-2017.10.24.07:45:00 when we run l command it print the directory and the files with details like permission,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the specific part of the file name with file creation date?

Hello Folks, I have an requirement, where i need to get total count of the file based on creation date with there filename selected pattern. Filename: MobileProtocol.20171228T154200.157115.udr I want to get the count of files created on each day based on a pattern find. find . -type... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
7 Replies
Template::Plugin::Date(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Template::Plugin::Date(3pm)

NAME
Template::Plugin::Date - Plugin to generate formatted date strings SYNOPSIS
[% USE date %] # use current time and default format [% date.format %] # specify time as seconds since epoch # or as a 'h:m:s d-m-y' or 'y-m-d h:m:s' string [% date.format(960973980) %] [% date.format('4:20:36 21/12/2000') %] [% date.format('2000/12/21 4:20:36') %] # specify format [% date.format(mytime, '%H:%M:%S') %] # specify locale [% date.format(date.now, '%a %d %b %y', 'en_GB') %] # named parameters [% date.format(mytime, format = '%H:%M:%S') %] [% date.format(locale = 'en_GB') %] [% date.format(time = date.now, format = '%H:%M:%S', locale = 'en_GB) %] # specify default format to plugin [% USE date(format = '%H:%M:%S', locale = 'de_DE') %] [% date.format %] ... DESCRIPTION
The "Date" plugin provides an easy way to generate formatted time and date strings by delegating to the "POSIX" "strftime()" routine. The plugin can be loaded via the familiar USE directive. [% USE date %] This creates a plugin object with the default name of '"date"'. An alternate name can be specified as such: [% USE myname = date %] The plugin provides the "format()" method which accepts a time value, a format string and a locale name. All of these parameters are optional with the current system time, default format ('"%H:%M:%S %d-%b-%Y"') and current locale being used respectively, if undefined. Default values for the time, format and/or locale may be specified as named parameters in the "USE" directive. [% USE date(format = '%a %d-%b-%Y', locale = 'fr_FR') %] When called without any parameters, the "format()" method returns a string representing the current system time, formatted by "strftime()" according to the default format and for the default locale (which may not be the current one, if locale is set in the "USE" directive). [% date.format %] The plugin allows a time/date to be specified as seconds since the epoch, as is returned by "time()". File last modified: [% date.format(filemod_time) %] The time/date can also be specified as a string of the form "h:m:s d/m/y" or "y/m/d h:m:s". Any of the characters : / - or space may be used to delimit fields. [% USE day = date(format => '%A', locale => 'en_GB') %] [% day.format('4:20:00 9-13-2000') %] Output: Tuesday A format string can also be passed to the "format()" method, and a locale specification may follow that. [% date.format(filemod, '%d-%b-%Y') %] [% date.format(filemod, '%d-%b-%Y', 'en_GB') %] A fourth parameter allows you to force output in GMT, in the case of seconds-since-the-epoch input: [% date.format(filemod, '%d-%b-%Y', 'en_GB', 1) %] Note that in this case, if the local time is not GMT, then also specifying '%Z' (time zone) in the format parameter will lead to an extremely misleading result. Any or all of these parameters may be named. Positional parameters should always be in the order "($time, $format, $locale)". [% date.format(format => '%H:%M:%S') %] [% date.format(time => filemod, format => '%H:%M:%S') %] [% date.format(mytime, format => '%H:%M:%S') %] [% date.format(mytime, format => '%H:%M:%S', locale => 'fr_FR') %] [% date.format(mytime, format => '%H:%M:%S', gmt => 1) %] ...etc... The "now()" method returns the current system time in seconds since the epoch. [% date.format(date.now, '%A') %] The "calc()" method can be used to create an interface to the "Date::Calc" module (if installed on your system). [% calc = date.calc %] [% calc.Monday_of_Week(22, 2001).join('/') %] The "manip()" method can be used to create an interface to the "Date::Manip" module (if installed on your system). [% manip = date.manip %] [% manip.UnixDate("Noon Yesterday","%Y %b %d %H:%M") %] AUTHORS
Thierry-Michel Barral wrote the original plugin. Andy Wardley provided some minor fixups/enhancements, a test script and documentation. Mark D. Mills cloned "Date::Manip" from the "Date::Calc" sub-plugin. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2007 Thierry-Michel Barral, Andy Wardley. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Template::Plugin, POSIX perl v5.14.2 2012-01-13 Template::Plugin::Date(3pm)