Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Changing IP address
Special Forums IP Networking Changing IP address Post 302517306 by Len351 on Tuesday 26th of April 2011 11:25:53 AM
Old 04-26-2011
Changing IP address

My work has a Unix based system that currently has the IP address 192.9.2.25
We recently changed internet providers from DSL to Cable. By doing so, we had to get a new router (Belkin) since the DSL provider had a wireless router/modem in one. With the DSL setup, I was able to change the router's IP address to 192.9.2.1 and everything worked great when logging into the system from another computer.
The problem I'm having now is that the Belkin router won't let me change it's IP address to 192.9.2.1. I called Belkin and they said the first two numbers must be 192.168 and that there's no way to change that. I wish I knew that before I bought it. I spoke with the company who's software we use on the Unix machine - which is the only thing on the server - and they said I'd have to change the IP address of the server and all the printers. They want to charge me for hardware support. I don't see it taking an eternity to do - I just want to do it right.
That being said - how do I change the IP address on the Unix server? I did a search on this forum and found this -
(copy and paste - I can't post URL's yet.) unix.com/ip-networking/6954-how-reconfig-ip-address-solaris-unix-system.html

My info is as follows on the server when I went to ifconfig -a:
net0: flags=4043<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> MTU 1500
inet 192.9.2.25 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.9.2.255
perf. params: recv size: 32768; send size: 32768; full-size frames: 1
ether 00:04:75:ea:81:fd
lo0: flags=4049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> MTU 8232
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
perf. params: recv size: 57344; send size: 57344; full-size frames: 1

So...how do I permanently change the IP address and what commands do I use to get into it? What should I make the IP address? 192.168.2.25?

My internet info is as follows:
Cable Modem WAN 10.1.10.11
Belkin Router LAN 192.168.2.1
Submet Mask 255.255.255.0

If possible, can you please explain it like I'm 5 years old and never used Unix before? - because I know nothing about UNIX. It took me a little just to figure out how to get that above info to show on the screen. I do have access to ROOT if that helps. All I know is how to get to the # symbol and type ifconfig -a so far and it is Sun Solaris.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing IP address with set_params

I want to change the IP address of my computer (743i card using HP-UX 10.2) using "set_params ip_address". The problem is the following: 1. I'm using a touch panel to enter in the IP address. 2. The set_params routine asks two questions; do I want to use the IP address entered and do I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddog0606
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing Machine IP address

Hopefully someone can help with this. I need the command to change the IP address on a machine (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkinnon
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing IP address

Hi, I am going to shift my Unix workstation to another lab. So I need to change the IP address. Please tell me how to change the Network IP address, what is the commands, what to take care? Thank you very much and have a very nice day. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
4 Replies

4. AIX

Changing the IP Address

I need to change the IP address on one of your Unix machines - P630, AIX5.2. I plan on using SMIT to perform this function. These are the steps that I have put together so far: 1. Select Communications Applications & Services - Select TCP/IP - Select Minimun Configuration & Startup... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

Changing the ip address

Help me save my Unix box. I've had this Unix box (Enterprise 450) for about 7 years now. It was being used as a file server for a Macintosh Prepress department. All of our networking was done through Helios Etharshare. I am still currently up and online (however the location has changed). Our ip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ubed
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

changing MAC address

hi, i wanted to know how to change the MAC id of the machine i`m using.. I know the MAC is permanent n on the ROM, but i wanted to know if there was any way to change it during tht particular session.. also.. if it was possible.. could it be kept changed for sometime...? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: caltiger
8 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Changing IP address

Hi ,,, i just come across this forum and i make it a must to be pay a visit here everyday and through it am learning a lots of things which am sure i will be able to share later... So i have a prob with my pc when i try to change my Ip address in the dos command using ipconfig command i got a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lutchumaya
1 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

changing my email address

Hello, Is there a link somewhere to my profile where I can change my email address to my new work email address? I have a new job and would like to receive a notification of responses to my new work address - how can I get that address to you without posting it online for everyone to see? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tekster757
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HOW TO Changing ip address advice

Hi, I am new to solars admin. My company want to change the ip adress presently it is 10 series they want to 20 serices i have done like this 1) #ifconfig -a (to check the interface) 2) #ifconfig <interface> new ipaddress up 3) #vi /etc/hosts 20.*.*.* wq! presently my version is 9 please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phatan
3 Replies

10. AIX

changing ip address

Hi, I am using aix 5300-07, I am facing strange issue in aix. I have changed the ip address and gateway of aix server , it is showing the right ip address but it is taking old gateway ip address. I have used netstat -r command and found it is showing 2 Default gateway. I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies
NDPMON(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 NDPMON(8)

NAME
ndpmon - Neighbor Discovery Protocol Monitor SYNOPSIS
ndpmon [ -i interfacename ] [ -f configfile ] [ -d dtd_file ] [ -F filter ] [ -n number ] [ -L ] [ -v ] [ -h ] [ -d dtd_file ] [ -g neighbor_file ] DESCRIPTION
NDPMon is a monitoring software for ipv6 Neighbor Discovery. It syslogs activity and reports by email malicious ND message. NDPMon uses libpcap to listen for icmp6 packets and libxml2 to use configuration and neighbor cache files. The -i flag is used to change the default interface eth0. The -f flag is used to change the path of the configuration file. The default is /etc/ndpmon/config_ndpmon.xml The -e flag is used to change the path to the DTD file for the configuration file. The default is /etc/ndpmon/config_ndpmon.dtd The -n flag uses libpcap to specify a limited number of packet to capture. The -F flag allows one to change the default icmp6 filter. The -L flag is used to disable syslog and mail reports. This is used to do a learning phase and constitue the neighbor cache. The -v is used to enable the DEBUG mode. The -d flag is used to change the path to the DTD file for the neighbor cache. The default is /var/lib/ndpmon/neighbor_list.dtd The -g flag is used to change the path to the neighbor cache. The default is /var/lib/ndpmon/neighbor_list.xml Note that an empty neighbor_cache.xml file must be created before the first time you run ndpmon. NDPMon must be run with root rights to work. REPORT MESSAGES
Here's the list of the report messages generated by ndpmon: wrong couple MAC/IP Separately, the MAC and IP addresses are valid, but not as a couple. wrong router mac The ethernet address of the RA message is not specified in the configuration file. wrong router ip The ip address of the RA message is not specified in the configuration file. wrong prefix The prefix announced in the RA message is not specified in the configuration file. wrong router redirect The RD message does'nt come from a router specified in the configuration file. NA router flag The NA specifies a router but isn't one according to the configuration file. DAD DOS The NA answer to NS to avoid it to get an ip address. changed ethernet address The host switched to a new ethernet address. flip flop The ethernet address has changed from the most recently seen address to the second most recently seen address. reused old ethernet address The ethernet address has changed from the most recently seen address to the third (or greater) least recently seen address. SYSLOG MESSAGES
Here are some of the syslog messages; note that messages that are reported are also sysloged. new activity This ethernet/ip6 address pair has been announced for last time two months or more. new station The ethernet address has not been seen before on the link. ethernet broadcast The mac ethernet address of the host is a broadcast address. ip broadcast The ip address of the host is a broadcast address. bogon The source ip address is not local to the local subnet. ethernet mismatch The source mac ethernet address didn't match the address announced in option of the ND message. FILES
config_ndpmon.xml - contains settings which must be fill by the administrator neighbor_list.xml - neighbor cache: all neighbors known to be on the link SEE ALSO
arpwatch(8) ipv6(7), pcap(3), libxml(3). AUTHOR
Thibault Cholez and Frederic Beck for MADYNES Project, Loria, Fr. BUGS
Please send bug reports to frederic.beck@loria.fr or thibault.cholez@esial.uhp-nancy.fr November 2006 NDPMON(8)