Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grepping file and returning passed variable if the value does not exist in file at all. Post 302517297 by cambridge on Tuesday 26th of April 2011 11:01:58 AM
Old 04-26-2011
Well you could do something like this:
Code:
awk '/OPEN:/ {o++} /CLOSE:/ {c++} END {print "OPEN:" o "\nCLOSE:" c}' infile

Depends how many different fields you want to check for. Also, if we knew your exact file format it might be easier to give you something more optimal...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Check whether list file present in TXT file exist or not

Hi All, I have txt file which has list of files. I have to check whether these files exist or not. Thanks supriya (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: supriyabv
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping for two strings that MUST exist on the same line

Trying to find a way to grep for two names on a line. Both names must appear on the same line so '|' / OR is out. So far, I'm just messing around and I've got find . -name "*" | xargs grep "Smith" Let me explain. I'm at a top level and need to know all the names of the files that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rally_Point
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping a file based on input from a second file

how to grep a file based on another input file File1 ashu 1 ninetwo hari qwer 6 givefour jan fghj 8 noeight mar vbmi 7 noput feb -- --- File2 noput noeight --- -- Taking the input of grep as File2, a search need to be made in File1 giving File3 as output: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning only part of a line when grepping

I want to grep out a part of a snort rule based on the SID given, but all i want as the output is the part in the quotes after the msg: An example line looks something like this: alert tcp any any -> 127.0.0.1 any (msg:"Example Message"; classtype:Example; sid:123456;) I would want it to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: riott
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

update value in a file using variable passed via unix script

I have a file in my unix directory called "restart_job1.job". Below is a sample of the script where I am doing a 'grep' to check specifically for an oracle error. If the value 'ORA-" is found, I set a variable to hold the return code value (job1_return_code). If the return code is non zero, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncsthbell_dr
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping from a point in a file to the end of the file

does any one know how to turn the equivalent of this command: awk '/2011 John Doe 8344/,0' /tmp/ops.log | egrep -c "received request" to something that would use egrep instead of awk? What the awk command does is, it searches the ops.log file for "2011 John Doe 8344". When it finds it,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

In the sh file variable is not being passed on.

I am having difficulties with the fllowing script: !/bin/sh voicemaildir=/var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/$1/$2/INBOX/ echo `date` ':' $voicemaildir >> /var/log/voicemail-notify.log for audiofile in `ls $voicemaildir/*.wav`; do transcriptfile=${audiofile/wav/transcript} ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghurty
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display file date after grepping a string in the file

Hi All, I need to recursively grep several folders for a MAC address and display the results with the date of the file name at the start. Even better would be if the final results were displayed chronologically so the newest file is always at the end. Oldest at the top, regardless of what... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: quemalr
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping the file into a variable after SSH into a server

Hi All, When i am logged into a server , i am able to assign grep value to a variable as follows. VAR=`grep 'Listener stopped' /logs/perf.log` However, when i log out of the server, and try to execute the following command by first SSHing into server, it throws error. $ VAR=`ssh Server... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File

So I'm stumped. First... APOLOGIES... my work is offline in an office that has zero internet connectivity, as required by our client. If need be, I could print out my script attempts and retype them here. But on the off chance... here goes. I have a text file (file_source) of terms, each line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
3 Replies
NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)                                                                                                                NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
npm-run-script - Run arbitrary package scripts SYNOPSIS
npm run-script <command> [--silent] [-- <args>...] alias: npm run DESCRIPTION
This runs an arbitrary command from a package's "scripts" object. If no "command" is provided, it will list the available scripts. run[-script] is used by the test, start, restart, and stop commands, but can be called directly, as well. When the scripts in the package are printed out, they're separated into lifecycle (test, start, restart) and directly-run scripts. As of ` https://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0, you can use custom arguments when executing scripts. The special option -- is used by getopt https://goo.gl/KxMmtG to delimit the end of the options. npm will pass all the arguments after the -- directly to your script: npm run test -- --grep="pattern" The arguments will only be passed to the script specified after npm run and not to any pre or post script. The env script is a special built-in command that can be used to list environment variables that will be available to the script at run- time. If an "env" command is defined in your package, it will take precedence over the built-in. In addition to the shell's pre-existing PATH, npm run adds node_modules/.bin to the PATH provided to scripts. Any binaries provided by locally-installed dependencies can be used without the node_modules/.bin prefix. For example, if there is a devDependency on tap in your package, you should write: "scripts": {"test": "tap test/*.js"} instead of "scripts": {"test": "node_modules/.bin/tap test/*.js"} to run your tests. The actual shell your script is run within is platform dependent. By default, on Unix-like systems it is the /bin/sh command, on Windows it is the cmd.exe. The actual shell referred to by /bin/sh also depends on the system. As of ` https://github.com/npm/npm/releases/tag/v5.1.0 you can customize the shell with the script-shell configuration. Scripts are run from the root of the module, regardless of what your current working directory is when you call npm run. If you want your script to use different behavior based on what subdirectory you're in, you can use the INIT_CWD environment variable, which holds the full path you were in when you ran npm run. npm run sets the NODE environment variable to the node executable with which npm is executed. Also, if the --scripts-prepend-node-path is passed, the directory within which node resides is added to the PATH. If --scripts-prepend-node-path=auto is passed (which has been the default in npm v3), this is only performed when that node executable is not found in the PATH. If you try to run a script without having a node_modules directory and it fails, you will be given a warning to run npm install, just in case you've forgotten. You can use the --silent flag to prevent showing npm ERR! output on error. You can use the --if-present flag to avoid exiting with a non-zero exit code when the script is undefined. This lets you run potentially undefined scripts without breaking the execution chain. SEE ALSO
o npm help 7 scripts o npm help test o npm help start o npm help restart o npm help stop o npm help 7 config January 2019 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)