Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RedHat 9 Questions
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RedHat 9 Questions Post 302517259 by alister on Tuesday 26th of April 2011 09:45:58 AM
Old 04-26-2011
Hi, Michael:

Happy to be of help.

With regard to your printing issue, I don't have a clue. Hopefully, someone else knows the answer. I've barely printed anything during the past 5 years and I haven't even used Linux regularly since the 1990s (Red Hat Linux 5.2). The last time I used OpenOffice was the late 1990s (maybe 2000); it took all night to download on a 56kbps dialup connection and was still known as StarOffice.

If you are able to build a recent browser on your RHL9 system, or find a precompiled (statically-linked or not) binary on the internet that runs well on your system, please do report back. I'd be interested in the details and it may be of use to others running end-of-lifed linux distributions.

I can sympathize with your reluctance to abandon all the hard work you've put into your setup. While not to the same degree, most of my machines are a bit behind the cutting edge as well. Thank you for satisfying my curiosity.

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 04-26-2011 at 10:55 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RedHat

Hi all, I'm installing RedHat 7.0 on a laptop. As it's a dual boot with win2k I make a boot sector instead of using the MBR. After the install I mark the boot sector active in windows then I can boot into Linux. First question. When I make the boot sector active it deletes the swap... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RedHat linux questions??

1. is redhat linux 7.3 the latest version ?? 2. where can i find FREE documentation regarding it ?? installation , etc... Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAM
2 Replies

3. Linux

redhat

hello people i just installed redhat, everything seemes to be fine, but when i start it, it boots up normally and starts firstboot or whatever, then it opens something, i can move the mouse for a while(thats all i see.. first the X then an arrow..) but then the whole computer freezes.. i think the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenewestuser
3 Replies

4. SuSE

redhat

i just bought a redhat 9.0 book which comes with the operating system and Ive install it as a server however Im having difficulties installing Swat and I just wonder if I have to spend buy an enterprise server or what ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keliy1
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

redhat

if sombody can help it will be very good.I want to have some information concerning redhat 9.How to go in the internet with :confused: ,how to programmate in c or c++,and finally how i can use it esaly.Sorry for my english i'm a french speaker ;) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boyep
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just had a few questions

1) The lpr and sort utilities accept input either from a file named on the command line or from standard input. a)Name two other utilities that function in a similar manner. b)Name a utility that accepts its input only from standard input. 2) Explain the following error message. What... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: youngyou
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redhat 5.8 to 6.0

Hi, Currently running Redhat 5.8, I am thinking about upgrading to 6. After the upgrade, in case, I want to downgrade. How would I do that? Please let me know. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort command results are different in Redhat 4 vs Redhat 5

Hi, I am having a text file with the following contents ########### File1 ########### some page1.txt text page.txt When I sort this file on Red Hat 5, then I get the following output ########### File1 ########### page1.txt page.txt some (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies
LIBC(7) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   LIBC(7)

NAME
libc - overview of standard C libraries on Linux DESCRIPTION
The term "libc" is commonly used as a shorthand for the "standard C library", a library of standard functions that can be used by all C programs (and sometimes by programs in other languages). Because of some history (see below), use of the term "libc" to refer to the stan- dard C library is somewhat ambiguous on Linux. glibc By far the most widely used C library on Linux is the GNU C Library <http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/>, often referred to as glibc. This is the C library that is nowadays used in all major Linux distributions. It is also the C library whose details are documented in the rel- evant pages of the man-pages project (primarily in Section 3 of the manual). Documentation of glibc is also available in the glibc manual, available via the command info libc. Release 1.0 of glibc was made in September 1992. (There were earlier 0.x releases.) The next major release of glibc was 2.0, at the beginning of 1997. The pathname /lib/libc.so.6 (or something similar) is normally a symbolic link that points to the location of the glibc library, and exe- cuting this pathname will cause glibc to display various information about the version installed on your system. Linux libc In the early to mid 1990s, there was for a while Linux libc, a fork of glibc 1.x created by Linux developers who felt that glibc develop- ment at the time was not sufficing for the needs of Linux. Often, this library was referred to (ambiguously) as just "libc". Linux libc released major versions 2, 3, 4, and 5 (as well as many minor versions of those releases). For a while, Linux libc was the standard C library in many Linux distributions. However, notwithstanding the original motivations of the Linux libc effort, by the time glibc 2.0 was released, it was clearly superior to Linux libc, and all major Linux distributions that had been using Linux libc soon switched back to glibc. (Since this switch occurred over a decade ago, man-pages no longer takes care to document Linux libc details. Nevertheless, the history is visible in vestiges of information about Linux libc that remain in some manual pages, in particular, references to libc4 and libc5.) Other C libraries There are various other less widely used C libraries for Linux. These libraries are generally smaller than glibc, both in terms of fea- tures and memory footprint, and often intended for building small binaries, perhaps targeted at development for embedded Linux systems. Among such libraries are uClibc (http://www.uclibc.org/) and dietlibc (http://www.fefe.de/dietlibc/). Details of these libraries are gen- erally not covered by the man-pages project. SEE ALSO
syscalls(2), feature_test_macros(7), man-pages(7), standards(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-08-05 LIBC(7)