Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory iostat output vs TPC output (array layer) Post 302517231 by arizah on Tuesday 26th of April 2011 08:35:38 AM
Old 04-26-2011
iostat output vs TPC output (array layer)

Hi Guys,

I've been having some arguments with my colleagues about one thing. Always my thought was that as as far as disk performance is concern by looking at the output of the iostat command (AIX) you would be able to identify if you have a hot disk and then by moving some files out that disk or by making sure that the same disk is not share at the array level by another busy application would be good enough and I think it had worked for me for quite a few years. I think according to IBM and I'm saying IBM because we use IBM storage if a disk shows more that 35% time active then it could be be a sign of a performance degradation. Then assuming that I can shift around some files then I might be able to spread the I/O across multiple disks. If so do I still need to go the array level (raid) and check the performance stats (in out case TPC) or the output of the iostat would be more than enough. Basically I would like to know if the output of the iostat is accurate enough to determine if we are suffering a I/O bottleneck or if I still need to check the statistics/performance reports at the array raid level to be sure. Thanks in advance for your comments..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

iostat -e / -E output explanation

Hi all, hope you are having a nice day, its nice and warm today in Canberra Australia. iostat -e / -E reports soft and hard errors. Any idea what these are exactly? All I hear are I/O's failing and needing to retry, but no cause as to why they fail. My SUN guru tells me its our EMC SAN... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scottman
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

iostat output what is that mean

Hi all, i have run iostat -em, and get below result. Can i know what is this output meaning, and how to fix that problem. iostat -em ---- errors --- device s/w h/w trn tot sd7 0 1 0 1 sd8 1 1 0 2 sd9 0 1 0 1 sd10 0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: foongkt5220
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

output of an array

Hi gurus, I need to set up an array like this set - A arr 'A', 'B' The output of this array should be like this 'A','B' Right now, I get the output like this 'A B' Can anyone suggest me on how to achieve this. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting output from iostat

So I use Cacti for monitoring IO statistics on my servers, now originally I couldnt monitor Multipath deviced servers as they have alot of /dev/sdxx and /dev/emcpowerxx, I have devised a method of trimming them down to just the actual devices but the issue is the output looks like so. # iostat... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RiSk
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding greatest value in a column using awk from iostat output in linux

Friends, . On linux i have to run iostat command and in each iteration have to print the greatest value in each column. e.g iostat -dt -kx 2 2 | awk ' !/sd/ &&!/%util/ && !/Time/ && !/Linux/ {print $12}' 4.38 0.00 0.00 0.00 What i would like to print is only the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding greatest value in a column using awk from iostat output in linux

Friends, Need some help. On linux i have to run iostat command and in each iteration have to print the greatest value in each column. e.g iostat -dt -kx 2 2 | awk ' !/sd/ &&!/%util/ && !/Time/ && !/Linux/ {print $12}' 4.38 0.00 0.00 0.00 WHhat i would like to... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
15 Replies

7. Solaris

Unmatched ssd create huge unuseful iostat output

My scheduled collection of statistics is giving very large output because of an high number of ssd device not associated to any disk The iostat -x command is collecting statistics from them and the output is very large. I.g. if a run iostat -x|tail +3|awk '{print $1}'>f0.txt.$$ iostat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sun-mik
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Asvc_t values in iostat output

Noticed that asvc_t values in iostat command outputs are mostly more than 100 in our previous iostat analysis. Also found the following detail from an alternate site IO Bottleneck - Disk performance issue - UnixArena ---- 1. asvc_t average service time of active transactions, in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saraperu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to get the parsed output of "iostat" command

Hi, I have a requirement where parsed output from various linux commands like top, netstat, iostat, etc. will be the input for one javascript with the parsed output from these commands converted to JSON format For "iostat" command, since there are two outputs - one w.r.t CPU utilization and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopivallabha
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to parse iostat command output

Hi, I got the code below is one of the threads from this forum. lineCount=$(iostat | wc -l) numDevices=$(expr $lineCount - 7); iostat $interval -x -t | awk -v awkCpuFile=$cpuFile -v awkDeviceFile=$deviceFile -v awkNumDevices=$numDevices ' BEGIN { print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopivallabha
2 Replies
iostat(1)						      General Commands Manual							 iostat(1)

Name
       iostat - report I/O statistics

Syntax
       iostat [ -c ] [ -t ] [ disknames ] [ interval ] [ count ]

Description
       The  command  reports  I/O  statistics for terminals, disks and cpus.  For terminals the number of input and output characters are counted.
       For disks the number of 512 byte blocks per second and number of transfers per second are displayed.  For cpus, it provides the	percentage
       of  time  the system has spent in user mode, in user mode running low priority (niced) processes, in system mode, and idling.  On multipro-
       cessor systems these cpu statistics represent a cumulative summary of all the cpus.

The optional disknames argument causes disk statistics to be displayed for the specified disks.	If this argument  is  not  specified  then
       disk statistics will be displayed for the first 3 disks only.

The  optional interval argument causes to report once each interval seconds.  The first report is for all time since a reboot and each sub-
       sequent report is for the last interval only.

The optional count argument restricts the number of reports.

Options
       -c   Displays the percentage of time each cpu spent in user mode, running low priority (nice'd) processes, in system mode, and idling.

-t   Displays the number of characters read from and written to terminals.

Examples
       This example will cause cpu and disk statistics for the 5 disks ra0, ra1, ra2, ra3, and ra4.
	    iostat ra0 ra1 ra2 ra3 ra4
       This example will cause cpu, terminal, and disk statistics for ra0 to be displayed and updated every 2 seconds.
	    iostat -t ra0 2

Files
See Also
       vmstat(1), cpustat(1)

iostat(1)